HomePod's Sound Continues to Receive Top Marks After Listening Demos in New York and London

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 27, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple last week invited select reporters to one-hour-long HomePod listening demos in New York City and London, resulting in several first impressions of the speaker's sound quality being shared online over the past few days.

[​IMG]

We've rounded up all of the first impressions we've come across so far, and highlighted some excerpts that we thought were interesting below. If you spot an article not listed here, let us know in the comments section.

o Business Insider
    o TechCrunch
    o CNET
    o Engadget
    o iMore
    o Mashable
    o TechRadar
    o Digital Trends
    o Tom's Guide
    o Expert Reviews
    o Wired UK
    o iNews UK
    o Huffington Post UK
    o Vogue UK
    o Refinery29
    o Gear Patrol
    o Stuff.tv
    o Alphr
    o Lance Ulanoff
    o T3

The consensus is that the HomePod sounds very good, although some felt the quality isn't exactly worth the price. A few reporters were more impressed by upcoming stereo sound capabilities of two HomePods in the same room.

Keep in mind these listening demos were conducted by Apple in controlled environments, so we'll have to wait for more in-depth reviews once reporters and customers get the speaker into their hands and try it out.

Business Insider's Avery Hartmans
    Wired UK's Jeremy White
    TechCrunch's Brian Heater
    CNET's David Carnoy
    iNews UK's Rhiannon Williams
    Apple began accepting HomePod orders through its online store and Apple Store app on Friday in the United States, Australia, and United Kingdom, with the first deliveries to customers estimated to arrive Friday, February 9.

Update: A user on the audiophile subreddit who claims to have been present at Apple's listening demo believes the HomePod, based on its size and price, is significantly better than most bookshelf speakers under $1,000.

Article Link: HomePod's Sound Continues to Receive Top Marks After Listening Demos in New York and London

2. mariusignorello macrumors 68000

3. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

Well this will quiet the complaints from the self-appointed 'audiophiles'.

/s

4. unobtainium macrumors 68020

5. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

6. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

My $10,000 Martin Logan Static Dryer Sheet powered speakers would like to have a word with you.

/s

7. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

My $100,000 tube amp says hello

8. Blackstick macrumors 6502a

Blackstick

Without Alexa and Spotify support, sound quality alone isn't compelling.

9. acblue94 macrumors regular

acblue94

Good for you. But for people that use Siri then it’s great. Does Alexa have Siri? No. So why would you expect this to have Alexa?

10. coolfactor macrumors 601

Sounds like Alexa is your go-to solution. You two have fun together, but not too much!

11. dilbert99 macrumors 68020

My $0.99 pure: 99.9999% copper cables say hello :D

12. steve09090 macrumors member

Can’t you stream Spotify onto the HomePod?

13. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Not fair!

14. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Free units often get good reviews. Don't want to cut the hand that feeds you right?
    I'll wait for paying users to post some reviews.

15. -BigMac- macrumors 68000

-BigMac-

I was under the impression it shows up as an airplay device.. so how exactly is it limited to Apple Music?

You can still stream Spotify etc through AirPlay.

Correct me if I'm wrong

16. naltst* macrumors member

I have a few airport expresses connected to decent sets of studio monitors, my surround sound system and a stereo system. Pick any speakers you want or already have...

The stereo has digital in and a decent DAC. Others by 3.5mm jack.

Multi room works great from iTunes (but not iOS unless the airport express gets airplay2) and has FOR YEARS! I use the remote app to play from iTunes rather than playing from the device itself.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don't really consider these "Reviews." These are more hands on or first impressions by demoing. None the less, I would say the HomePod has some initial positive feedback thus far. I expect user reviews to be very promising, which I to prefer user reviews Over journalists or critics.

18. fpsBeaTt Suspended

fpsBeaTt

My $30000 Duntech Crown Sovereigns want to cash u outside, how 'bout that?
    But in all seriousness, after the $5k point, you begin encountering seriously diminishing returns.

19. gnomeisland macrumors 6502a

I know, right? So cheap for a set of great stereo speakers. (no, no "/s" on this one)

20. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

I been waiting years for that model to be available.

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

There is no such thing as "true stereo sound". Stereo sound is not "true". Stereo sound is an attempt to approximate the correct listening experience by producing sound from two different positions. HomePod approximates the correct listening experience in a different way. It will not be equal to stereo sound, and it won't try to make it equal. The questions isn't whether it's the same, but whether it is as good as stereo.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2018 ---
    The music store where you buy begins encountering seriously increased profits :)
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2018 ---
    According to Tom's Hardware, if it's playing through AirPlay, it's not worth it. If you find that opinion strange, so do I.

22. anthogag macrumors regular

The speaker is only 7 inches tall and people are talking about its bass response...that's pretty good.

23. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

I’m getting two HomePos. I hope the update that will allow for pairing two of them is not too far ahead from February 9th...

24. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Apple has advertised this as capable of replacing a much larger and expensive audio system so it better be very good.

25. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’m glad MR called these listening demos. I don’t think anyone is doubting the HomePod sounds good. But what problem is it solving?