Honda CRZ

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Loves2spoon, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

A) It's ugly IMHO

B) Rather get a Jetta TDI to get a green fun to drive vehicle

C) Honda is losing it. This and the Crosstour. What are they thinking?

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Haven't seen one on the road yet but I checked it out at a dealership...I like it more since I've seen it in person. nice interior (made me a little jealous when I got back in my car :mad: ) I'm just waiting to see the first person to cram a k-series under the hood!

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Might be a challenge, with it being a hybrid. ;)

5. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Once again Quagmire nails it. :)

They are trying to rekindle the love for the CR-X, but this one isn't gonna cut it. I do have to give it some points for being the only hybrid available with a manual, though. The CRX was a blast to drive (especially the Si), even if it wasn't the most powerful car around.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The CR-Z should not have been a hybrid - in trying to combine the hybrid drivetrain with the old CRX concept, Honda bit off more than they could chew and we end up with a sporty hybrid that is neither as efficient nor as sporty as it could have been had the design been more focused.

A missed opportunity.

7. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I'm really hoping they release an Si model in 2012 but Honda seems to be going in the opposite direction in regards to power. Most tuners seem to be playing with the 1.5, HKS says the supercharger will be available soon and have 280hp.

8. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

Honda probably wants to fill the gap thats being left behind by SUVs not being wanted anymore. They build the Crosstour to fill that gap without it being a stupid stationwagon. It just came out really stupid. This CRZ looks pretty nice though imo. Too bad it's a coupe and a two seater. I like the manual hybrid action though. It also has a nice price. It could be worse.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've driven an original CRX (an absolute go-kart) and while modern safety legislation dictates that the original will never be truly replicated, I feel as if Honda made the car needlessly heavy by adding the hybrid bits.

The tuner market will probably find plenty of ways of making it go fast though.

10. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

C'mon, a real honda fan boy doesn't let petty words like "feasibility" or "practicality" deter his ambitions (actually, after looking under the hood I remember thinking "theres plenty of room for 'possibilities'!" :D
    I know what you mean, I think honda is trying to go a more mainstream route now...financially its prob best since enthusiasts prob make a lesser percentage of sales. I hear they're even killing the civic type-r in japan...last "fun" car in the japanese lineup since killing the s2k and deciding to only go JCGT w/ the nsx prototype :( . seems like the only way to go soon for a "fun" honda is tuning --->> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXepvlCweS0&feature=related (sleeper?!)

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

12. CW Jones macrumors 6502

I don't care if that thing gets 40 mpg, or has 250hp... not happening. Its butt ugly. Also the "tuner" aspect.... its a hybrid... tuners won't get it because its a hybrid and once you start doing real engine mods, its no longer a hybrid.

I personally would rather roll around in a Golf or TDI.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Really? I think they are cool and kind of space age looking. I sat in one at the dealership the other day. If you're talking green isn't it an ultra-low-emission vehicle?

But the Crosstour looks like a shoe and has very poor gas mileage.

14. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I've seen a bunch around town. I wouldn't buy one, but I have a feeling that Honda is gonna sell quite a few.

15. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I just bought one, well leased. I suspect hybrids making a bigger impact in a few years... Anyway, much better looking in person. In pics, there was something odd about it, but in person the car shines. For me at least.

I've actually been looking to get a hybrid for awhile. Prius was the only thing I might drive but still, didn't like how it looked. But I do like the idea of better gas mileage and being green - or at least green-er.

Test drove this and was hooked. Sport mode is pretty damn fun. I'm coming from a mazdaspeed 3 so I was thinking this hybrid was going to feel like a joke, but wow. I'm amazed at the suspension. Car rides really smooth too.

And people are stopping me left and right asking about it. The most bizarre instance was a guy in a huge monster truck asking me to roll down my window at a light. I thought he was going to spit on me, but was in love with the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got it tinted

[​IMG]

More pics here http://www.mikee.nu/2010/10/honda-cr-z-hybrid/

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Just not for me. They had a chance to make another real go getter instead they make it a hybrid....
    Sorry but no.

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Saw one today on the way to work. I like them. I don't see why people are so against hyrbids. If I was to think about getting a honda and a car I would seriously look into this. I'm an SUV person myself but this is a neat vehicle. :)

18. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

How's the actual mileage? Website lists 39HWY/36CITY. Are there real savings, or is just a gimmick? I'd expect a car that small with a gas engine to achieve 35/25. I hope it actually gets better gas mileage than it claims because a Civic gets 34/26 and costs 5k less. I dunno if it's worth it, especially with the lack of 2 rear seats. Still, I think it's as bad as people say on here.

19. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I'm only on my first tank but I averaged 39 MPG and this is 70% city driving. I work close to home so I'm only on side streets most of the week. A few nights and this past weekend I've taken longer rides with highway driving.

I've also been using all modes, sport quite often so I'm sure I'll get better mpg once I cool it on sport mode.

Really though, it rides nothing like a civic. The handling is what sold me.

Look of cars are always subjective so I don't mind when people say it looks ugly on here, though people are so excited in person.

But when it comes to the actual ride of the car, I'm really enthusiastic about it. The car basically changes with a touch of a button. I can drive slow like a grandma in eco mode - but it still rides really smooth... put it in sport mode and zip around corners or normal mode and drive, well, normal.

I suppose there's other cars like the GTI that have similar results, but for what the CRZ has to offer and price, I thought it was a good lease for me. The speakers are really good better than the bose system in my MS3, it has a subwoofer, touchscreen nav is useful (though outdated in graphics) but definitely better than iPhone Maps lol, bluetooth works well with my iphone4, talk to the car is cool - I don't know what that's called, Multi-Information Display for things like oil changes, tire rotation, eco score, MPG per start up, etc. are nice touches.

I think it has just enough stuff to tide me over for 3 years.

20. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

May I ask two questions?

How tall are you?

How is the rear visibility?

I love the style and concept of this car. I drive an Escape Hybrid, and I love it. But I would like something to use for a daily driver, so I can save the Escape for the weather.

I am trying as hard as I can not to go to the dealership, because I might do something rash.

Thanks!

21. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

Sounds really good. Thanks for the all the information. The car sounds really good. I hope you don't get problems that are associated with first year of brand new cars.

22. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's weird. But I like it. Normally I'm not one for hybrids (especially the prius, but we won't get into that), but if they actually pulled off the sportish part well, I think it would be excellent. I also like that even though it's a hybrid, it doesn't scream "I'm trying to save the planet"

23. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

24. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

How does tuning the car stop it from being hybrid? If the batteries and electric motor is still there, it's still a hybrid.

25. iGav macrumors G3

I'm not so sure it's just this car that's lacking in focus to be honest and not more the whole company generally lacking direction. It's a shame really.

To be fair to Honda though, it's not just them.