Honestly, how often do you use your optical drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MovieCutter, Aug 30, 2009.

1. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Getting a new MBP tomorrow and am going to replace the optical drive with my 7200RPM 500GB for iTunes and internal scratch disk, and use the X-25 160GB Intel as my boot drive. I have a modified MacBook Air superdrive that I can use for the few times I actually use optical media. So just wondering, how often people actually use their superdrives.

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I'll be honest, I haven't used it in at least 2 months.

3. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Never. Except for installing Leopard.

4. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Only when I have to

Like, installing a new OS or software

5. evitica macrumors member

I use mine more than I'd like to. Mostly because the nature of my work. In terms of personal use, practically never.

6. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Other than installs, I've used it several times over the summer to rip our kids dvd collection for iPod and PSP viewing, as well as data archiving. All told, I could easily pull out an external optical when needed, and always enjoy the additional HD space, so I'm liking the OPs plans.

7. danimal99 macrumors regular

I've had my 13" Pro for about 2 1/2 weeks now, I haven't used it yet. I suppose I probably should pop a DVD in just to make sure it works while I still can return it...

Uhh, oh yeah, I'll be using it tomorrow, assuming my Up-To-Date Snow Leopard disc arrives finally. :)

8. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Except for watching DVDs and installing software I don't really use it. I've only used it to burn discs a few times.

9. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

I use my burner about once a day throughout the week.

10. Elzlaik macrumors regular

It's funny. When CD-RW drives first came out, mine was external and couldn't wait to get a computer with an internal one. Ten years later and I would rather have an external superdrive and a slimmer, lighter notebook.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

12. moral-hazard macrumors regular

I realized this after owning my macbook for ~2 months. I have put CD's in it a total of three times - one to reinstall leopard, one to install XP in a VM, and one to install MS Office.

I wouldn't be at a loss at all if i were to dump my optical (I might get an X25-m soon and do just that). I have a USB slim drive from when i used to have a netbook, so i'd be good to go.

13. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I use it a few times a month. Usually adding songs to iTunes (which I really should do from the server) or burning a .iso.

14. iphonematt Guest

I use my optical drive a couple times daily i would say.

15. MacManiac777 macrumors member

I have used mine a few times for burning DVDs and CDs but use it everyday for watching a movie or TV programme before bed :D

16. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

use it for ripping CDs and burning DVDs (more often) and installing an OS/boot into OS DVD for diagnostics.

the optical drive is one of the biggest components in a notebook and would free up a lot of space if removed i.e. one of the points of the MacBook Air… but Apple should make a less expensive MacBook without an optical drive, or a tablet will not have one?

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Not all that often. Mostly for ripping dvd's to ipod.

But I remember way back last year when everyone thought Apple crazy for removing it from the Air. My how times have changed.;)

18. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Install Snow Leopard + Boot Camp partition
    Burn some DVDs
    Import CDs

I really wish Apple offered a modular slot for another SSD/hard disk. I guess the unibody design prohibits that.

19. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

i don't use it often, but i can't go without it just yet.

20. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Well, my on HD bootloader is busted so I am booted off a CD right now but aside from bootloaders hardly never. (hackintosh)

I burn CDs and give them away and never see them again more often than I read from CDs on my real Macs.

I have used my PB G4's SuperDrive once outside of the house and guess what? that was burning a CD in the car, and I never saw those CDs again:eek:.

I don't even use it for OS reinstalls as my OS is on my HD ready for a clean install. (along with the most recent combo updater)

(I would replace it with a HD if it was cheaper to have it installed and Apple would do it [And an SSD in the HD spot])

21. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

22. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

I use mine probably 1-2x a month. I burned my first DVD DL last month (Sony media) for our vacation videos; iDVD '09 worked beautifully.

23. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

24. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I rarely use mine, i could do without. Leopard, Office and a few other installs and that's about it. If i was given the option to purchase without I probably would. An external would be ok with me if it gave me more HD space/options.

25. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Just out of curiosity, how will this 2nd hard drive be connected? Some freaky wiring or what?