Honeymoon in Hawaii!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rick snagwell, Aug 23, 2013.

1. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

So my fiancé and I are getting married 9/7, 2 weeks!

we take off for waikiki the next morning, staying there for 5 nights. then off to wailea, maui for 7 nights.

If you have been there and have done something you would recommend, please let me know!

thanks!

2. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Get a refund ;)

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My wife and I honeymooned in Hawaii when we got married. We spent 3 nights in Kona on the Big Island, 5 nights on Kauai, and 2 nights in Waikiki.

While in Waikiki, I would definitely recommend going up Diamond Head. Views are spectacular. A tour of Pearl Harbor. You can visit the Arizona memorial and the battleship Missouri.

On Maui, I would recommend going out to Molokini Crater. The water is crystal clear down to the bottom. I would also recommend taking some surf lessons.

Congratulations and have a wonderful trip!

5. rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

derp?
    have heard plenty about this, heard its VERY long and can make you sick with all the turns, have you done it?

def doing the molokini scuba trip!, and of course the pearl harbor scene. will have to check out diamond head.

thanks so far!

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Germaine's Luau. Go their, must go place. I went, and liked it. If you like coffee, try Kona based coffee.

7. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

ramble factor 10 captain, need more pog.

congrats. lots of fun, lots of hard work.

Oahu is expensive and crowded, but fun can still be had. Diamond Head, North Shore, several cool forest preserves and botanical gardens, etc. just depends what your version of fun is i guess. i always stayed in Waianae when i went because of the military rec center. $20 a night for a bungalow on the beach was hard to beat. :) a trip around the island if you have a rental car, lots of off the tourist path places to visit, lots of local culture to be had. the rental car map used to show the 93 ending at the north end and lots of 'not covered if you go' stuff on the map and in the car. i went, spent the afternoon at the point, then went east until i was back on road, 930, and back through North Shore. not recommending breaking your rental contract, but was an amazing day and memory. Pearl Harbor was epic, highly recommended. food is expensive everywhere, picnics are cheaper and more fun than restaurants in my opinion and the weather is always good to go. take or rent a boogie board, Everywhere is good! if you surf, ignore the previous recommendation, and Everywhere is good! North Shore on a bad day is better than everywhere else in the US 99% of the time. Waikiki once is a must, you have to take the tourist photo by the sign. All around the area there are lots of evening Lua shows if you run out of other ideas. cheesy, but good music/food, usually a free shell necklace to bring home, and then you can say you've done it once i guess.

loves me some Maui. although i've been to them all, i keep going back to Maui. just like Oahu, lots to do depending on you two and your version of fun. things i would recommend, the snorkel trip you already listed, the Maui Ocean Center over near Maalaea Harbor is awesome, Haleakala National Park is totally worth the drive (how often do you get to hike inside a volcano?!), there are several hour bike trips you can book where they drive you to the top of Haleakala and then you bike/coast down. awesome if you like biking, usually end up in Pukalani or Paia depending on how long a trip you booked. both have lots of local restaurants and cool places to hang out, local art shops, local flavor with a touristy edge. fun stuff. i spent morning, new years day 2001 watching the sun rise over the rim of Haleakala wearing every single piece of clothing i brought, wrapped in a trash bag, and still just about froze to death... would totally do it again, epic memory/experience. just for fun, it's pronounced Hall-lay-a-ka-Lah with and emphasis on the first H and last L. sound local brah for the win! Wailea/Kihei is my favorite area to stay on the island. Kahului you have to see because of the airport, Lahaina/Kapalua is the touristy trap on the island and can be avoided (nothing worth seeing) unless again you are doing the rental car loop on the 30/340 for the amazing scenery and local flavor. Iao valley is amazing and not to be missed if you like hiking or taking photos. we stay in Kihei (Key-High) at a B&B when we go. my favorite thing to do is walk down the hill to Hawaiian Moons natural food market to get a big ass salad from the in house salad bar and a couple of brews, and then walk across the highway to Kamaole Beach Park to sit on a bench and watch the sunset, waves, and whales. very nice beach/park, fresh/cheap food (less than resturants), and free entertainment is my idea of fun and relaxing. there's also a Maui Tacos in the same strip mall which is also tasty and reasonable compared to other places in the area if you're into fresh mex with an island twist...

i would not recommend the road to Hana based on personal experience. my wife gets motion sick on tight interstate on ramps or in parking garages with tight/sharp turns for perspective... did the Hana road one time, regretted it, won't do it again. 2 lanes (or less), twisty as hell, driven by locals going 10-30mph over the speed limit and bent on killing you or just running you off the road, either is fine with them... Hana itself is amazing, Waianapanapa State Park with the black sand beach is totally amazing. on our trip, after finally surviving the road, i had to stop in Hana to let my wife recover. after several hours of laying under a tree with eyes closed and breathing deep, we went south just to avoid going back on the Hana road. took the 31/330 around the edge of the island which is/was another 'don't go here with a rental car' road that will eventually drop you back in Wailea. no stops, no support, no gas, proceed at you own risk, beautiful drive if you survive... i remember stopping at 7 pools and a historic mission/chapel as well as not to be believed (if i didn't have the photos to prove it) views and scenery.

sorry for the ramble, good memories make it hard to be brief. best of luck to you both.

8. rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

noted. and my fiancé is a DM for starbucks, so we shall see about trying new coffee! thanks jav.
    love it, actually printing this thread and your 'ramble' will be awesome to check out when we get to maui. thanks tons for your detailed insight.

9. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

apple pie in the sky.

my pleasure. again, all good memories. want more pog!

just saw your location. lived in north county for several years, we actually did our honeymoon in Julian. the road to Hana would be like the 78/79 from Ramona to Apline, except about 5 times as twisty. local/visual comparison if it helps. again, best of luck, have a ton of fun.

10. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

At least TRY the road to Hana. If it's too much, you can turn back - but it'll probably be fine. I did it in the pouring rain in wintertime and was really happy (lots of waterfall action).

Now, it does seem like you can circle the entire island now, but you may want to confirm this before trying.

For Oahu:

* Tantalus
    * Diamond Head
    * Driving around the island - drive with Aloha! (slow and considerate)
    * North Shore beaches
    * Punchbowl
    * USS Arizona
    * Walk up and down Waikiki beach
    * Driving the "interstate" H3 to Kaneohe - awesome
    * There is no stairway to heaven.
    * Teddy's bigger burgers (bring napkins)
    * Hananuma bay for enclosed snorkeling (not always open due to jellys)
    * There's an acquarium at the east end of Waikiki beach, nice, not great
    * Military museum in Fort Derussy (right on the beach)
    * Shave ice on the north shore (matsumodo's/aokis)
    * Waimea Botanical Gardens

Don't keep any valuables in your car. In fact, don't even lock it.

11. rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

no way, thats crazy! really puts it into good perspective, thanks for that!

----------

great list, thanks!

we aren't getting a car in oahu, but do have a jeep wrangler in wailea, safer there?

12. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I don't think we left the bedroom on our honeymoon, but I don't think I can recommend any of the things we did, as this is a family forum!

Have a great time!

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Definitely the Road to Hana, great views. Also, we took a day boat trip to Lanai. Diamond Head was also fun, great view of Waikiki from the top.

We stayed in Wailea when on Maui too, but we visited Lahaina several times during the trip.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I did it and drove both ways. Simply the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen and I've traveled quite a bit. 56 one lane bridges and over 500 hairpin curves. There are tons of places along the way to pull over to take pics, or swim in a lagoon in the rainforest or walk on the black sand beach.

It is a very challenging drive but take it slow and stop often. A lot of people decide to stay the night in Hana.

Also, Kona coffee makes everything else taste like ****.

15. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Congrats on your marriage Rick! Try to take the day slow, it tends to be a blur.
    :)

16. rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

you remember the company that got you over to lanai, and would you recommend them to us?

how long does this hana trip take?

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As I recall, we left out hotel around 7 and got back at like 7 or maybe 8. We took our time and stopped to explore, swim and take pictures at least 20 times.

18. rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

im thinking i can't miss this opportunity. did you know where to stop for this swim breaks and waterfalls? or just luck out?

what did you bring with you? did you leave anything in the vehicle when out of it?

thanks for all this, gonna really help us out.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Definitely not to be missed.

All along the way, you'll see cars pulled off to the side or obvious areas you can leave a car. There's also a map that tells you points of interest. Make sure you save some stops for the way back.

We left my wallet and her purse in car, no worries.

We brought drinks and lunch and ate again when we got to Hana. I'd also recommend switching drivers often because it's so ****ing beautiful and the driver has to really concentrate on the road.

20. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The company was Trilogy, they were great, highly recommended. It's more than just the boat ride, they fed us all day and had snorkel equipment for use on Lanai. Also provided an optional free tour of the whole island (or you could just stay on the beach)

21. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I'd really really recommend getting a car for a least 1 day if not 2 on Oahu - there's too much you'll miss (or have a hard time getting to) otherwise.

It could be safer on Maui - but it's not safe on Oahu, I know that. Sadly, fresh smashed car glass is absolutely common all over Oahu.

22. rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i hear ya, will see when we get to waikiki about a rental, i think we just wanna be tourists for the first leg (reason we chose oahu). then relax with a rental in maui.

anyone know any useful apps for our trip?

23. Roller macrumors 68020

My wife and I stayed in Wailea for about a week twenty years ago. I'm sure a lot has changed, but we loved it back then. We tried to drive to Hana but had to turn back because my wife got carsick. (Very understandable - I would have gotten sick as well had I not driven.)

We took a helicopter tour (Blue Hawaiian) that included flying in the crater on Haleakala, as well as flying over Hana. It was fairly expensive, but was the highlight of our trip. I still have the video tape they gave us at the end of the flight.

Congrats and have a great time!

24. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

If you decide to climb Diamond Head, which I've done countless times, bring a Maglite. Trust me.

25. rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

for security or light?!