Honeymoon, where and why?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, May 22, 2011.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Preferrably someplace tropical.

New wife and I both would love to visit Vietnam, or go back to Thailand. The downside to that though is that while we are in Japan now, making those places (and many others in the Pacific) easy, we probably won't have a chance to go on our honeymoon until this fall or next spring, by which time we will be living in the US (heading to the US in September) which makes the price of flights back to Asia kind of hurt since we will have just been here.

We were thinking about Cabo San Lucas in Mexico since it would be cheap and neither of us have been to Mexico before, but the more I read about it the more I'm hearing it's turning into the new Cancun/spring break place, which we want to avoid.

Where would you go for say a 1-1.5 week honeymoon? We want something warm/tropical with beaches etc., resort kind of thing. Just to relax.

Throw some places out there--even way way way obscure tropical paradises are cool, would love to see what the world offers. Anywhere is ok, from Asia to South America to wherever. Persuade me with pics.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

St. Lucia, St. Croix, Antigua, and some other places in the Caribbean.

3. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Dominican Republic. Very cheap, awesome to relax and enjoy the life!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

+1

If you are looking for relaxation, DR is a great place. I was there circa 10 years ago and it was a great place. The only downside is that at least back then, there wasn't much else to do besides in the hotel area (which was of course huge). IIRC it wasn't even recommended to wander around as there was a decent amount of criminality. I don't know if that has changed but it is something you may want to think about or at least find out beforehand. Hotel's buffet may start to taste like wood when you have eaten it for a week and personally, I think food is one of the greatest things when travelling (get to taste of kinds of new foods). DR sounds like a good choice if you don't want to go to a tourist trap. Relaxation is guaranteed.

I've heard good things about Malesia too. It's like Thailand but it's much cleaner and somehow more Western alike. Haven't been there yet but hopefully I will at some point. Thailand's smaller islands can also be good for a honeymoon if relaxation is what you seek. My grandparents were in one island last winter I think and they liked it. Again, there isn't that much to do but relaxation wise, it's better if there isn't too much!

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

We are going to secrets st James in monetgo bay, jamaica for our honeymoon in July.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147311-d1604118-Reviews-Secrets_St_James-Montego_Bay_Jamaica.html

6. ender land macrumors 6502a

Honestly?

I would love to go camping somewhere outdoors away from people.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, nothing says I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you than the smell of ass in a camping tent.

8. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

If your wife is the 'rugged outdoors type', why not! A lot of ladies do like their 4-5 star motels though. Camping might be a hard sell.

9. ender land macrumors 6502a

*shrug*

Everyone has their personal preferences. I personally would much rather go to someplace outdoors where I can hike, swim, read, etc, and take time to relax instead of going to a tourist location somewhere.

Oh, yeah, I'm not entirely sure this will go over with a future wife ;) My roommate and his fiance are intending on going canoeing/camping for their honeymoon, but both are the outdoorsy type.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Personally I love to relax and switch off during holidays, both me and the girlfriend are busy enough from work! Boa Vista was really nice, it's a little island off the coast of Africa. Tourism is just taking off so there's only 1 main hotel and isn't too crowded yet.

Might be a bit far to recommend for you though.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Those are great choices. I would avoid Mexico.

12. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

The Seychelles and Maldives look stunning...but probably expensive. Don't know the budget yet though.

13. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

Bali! Indonesia is real nice!

14. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

Why would you avoid Mexico?

15. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

turks and checos (that is defiantly spelled wrong) lol

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Quiet Hawaiian island like Lanai or Molokai or a 5 star on Kauai or Maui. Flights are less than $500 return from Seattle/LA/SF.

[​IMG]

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Has she ever been to Europe? Have you? Europe can offer good honeymoon destinations

18. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

not a lot of "tropical" destinations. the Equator is much lower.. But Europe is great for another type of vacation..

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Because of all the violence.

20. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Greek islands, Mejorca, the south of Spain, the Riveria, the italian coast....there are plenty of warm beachy places to go in europe.....no tropical jungle of course, but a "warm" destination was in the original specs so I think it's reasonable to consider....if they're interested

22. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Hydration suits, Harley Davidson with an oil cooler and long stretches of deserted highway smack dab in the middle of summer in Death Valley. No better way to spend a honeymoon.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I've been to Bermuda, in the January off-season, so the rates were not bad.

Some cool days, low 70's, but great for bombing around in a rental motor scooter.

Some good stuff to see, and the Swizzle Inn (Swagger out) pub and restaurant. ;)

Nice golf courses too, and an aircraft carrier kind of landing.

Totally cool.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There's an island in the Seychelles which has just been vacated, I hear.

25. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The wife and I went to the Bahamas and stayed at an all inclusive. If your budget allows it I would recommend the all inclusive kind of resort. They are typically very nice and it's great not having to run a budget in your head throughout the trip. Hawaii is nice too, while there I visited the big island and Maui.