Hong Kong iPhone X Orders

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by midlevels, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Chancha macrumors 6502a

One option is to go to one of the 5 Apple Retail Stores in HK. Some people who scored a reservation through IR pick up his phones, ultimately wants to sell it to Sin Tat anyway, therefore flippers camp outside to buy from them, you can do the same as well. Some people even arrange a match up online before actually picking it up, once met he will pay with his credit card (for mileage bonus), then you pay him the price + margin in cash. The benefit of doing it in and out of Apple Store is some degree of guarantee and safety, that you are getting a real unit, and the exchange is inside a well guarded public mall.

2. AnTiGoD macrumors newbie

AnTiGoD

Some shop in Guangzhou (The shop is called A1), is selling iPhone X. HK version was about 10.800 RMB and the Chinese version was around 11.800 RMB or something a during the weekend.

The thing is tho, since the iPhone 8/8+ the HK version has no advantage over the Mainland China version.

Both Model #A1865 so, the only reason to buy a HK version if you live in Mainland China is simply the ~16% discount on the phone itself compared to mainland price.

3. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I know a guy who sells phones and he was the one who quoted me RMB 9880 Sunday night for the 256GB SG HK version. I know there's no actual difference in the phones themselves, but given the choice I would like to pay less for my phone if possible. It's not to say that I can't afford it, but it bugs me to know I could've gotten it cheaper. :p

Granted, you might make the difference back up on the transportation and living expenses if you decided to stay a night in HK, but I like to get out of Mainland once in a while and it'd probably be a nice little break from work for my gf and I. Last couple times we went and stayed in HK, we've gone and seen the islands (like Lantau) and it's refreshing to do that kinda thing and just get away, even if it's just for a day or two.

4. midlevels thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone used those bot apps to reserve? Since it looks like it's my only shot to get one early, I might install one and set up a new Apple ID to use with it. Which ones have been successful for iPhone X?

5. Chancha macrumors 6502a

I have friends who used those "successfully" during the 6s/7 era, but I myself am too scared to try. You literally need to give out full personal information and we all know how shady this part of earth can be.

6. tpr007 macrumors regular

tpr007

Nothing's changed. When the 6 was released I was living in Shenzhen, and just went to a local store - paid $50 over the retail price and they came back from Hong Kong with one the next day.

In Hong Kong on Sunday when I came out of the Apple Store the scalpers are all lined up outside selling right in full view of Apple staff. IMO the mall security should move them away, as they're inside on private property.

Ho hum - I've managed to get a new iPhone within a week of release every year, so I can't complain too much.

Get down to Sin Tat Plaza and pay a few dollars more - it's better than the stress of trying to get the first order in every day.

7. shootertwist14 macrumors member

do you still need the receipt when claiming for warranty? i thought it was no longer needed

8. mofei1 macrumors regular

No need receipt. The warranty starts from when the iPhone is first activated. All they need is the serial number.

The receipt is useful for checking the phone is real and bought from an Apple store.

9. shootertwist14 macrumors member

oh got it, thanks sir for clarifying it :)

10. midlevels thread starter macrumors member

Tried again today 8:00:01am with both normal means (iOS App) and also the iReserve Robot (using a different Apple ID that has no personal data of mine) and neither was successful. Crazy.

Meanwhile pre-order still rots in "Order In Progress"

11. midlevels thread starter macrumors member

No luck again today either trying to reserve. Any movement on HK pre-orders? Has even one been shipped?

12. shootertwist14 macrumors member

How do you guys know if iphone is bought from apple store if no receipt? is there a way to check or putting on a different sim from your country enough to ensure that its unlocked? my only concern is that my iphone is really factory unlocked... no problems using sim from another country so far... thanks in advance

13. Chancha macrumors 6502a

For these few days, clearly no new stock has come, all the scarce appearances on iR are cancelled orders, and usually just 64GB in white. I heard that the bigger 3rd party retail shops already got noticed that the next big shipment won't come until end of November...

Meanwhile there are reports of AOS pre-orders not only haven't shipped, but they got estimates pushed further.

A 256GB Space Grey sells for $11,150 in "grey" market now.

14. midlevels thread starter macrumors member

Surprising, generally all reports here (granted from other places) are that phones are shipping either on time or early. No delays mentioned as far as I can tell (except courier related delays).

I'm still OIP for 2nd-9th Dec.

15. Chancha macrumors 6502a

Generally, most phones sold in HK are unlocked, but with the current iPhone X frenzy of course it is hard to say what unit those guys got their from. Entering the serial number into Apple's website can at least tell you its Apple Care warranty status, but I believe there is no indication on its origin of purchase. Also it typically takes weeks or months before the internet got hold of enough model numbers of the phones to identify exactly which range corresponds to which production batch, regional specs-wise.

If you are that concerned, I would advice only buy it if the seller has a receipt, or just wait.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    Word is that Apple / Tim Cook got fed up with the HK scrapler situation, decided to limit supply to HK, to better serve the other regions. This comes with the expense of not satisfying demands of actual users of course.

I am still slightly gutted that my order was cancelled due to my credit card center's incompetence. Mine was initially listed at 4-5 weeks even.

16. midlevels thread starter macrumors member

Today in HK on iReserve there were quite a lot of 64GB phones available at most stores, but didn't want any. I saw 256GB Space Grey available at ifc mall only, but again wasn't fast enough to get it. By the time I clicked through and hit reserve, it said phone was no longer available. Seems some stock trickling in, but still at a very slow pace.

Lack of responses here (except from a few people) I think also means that very few people successfully got a pre-order in?

On my front, still no movement, 2nd-9th Dec OIP.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    Yeah no kidding. I've know some people who want to buy but can't even get into the queue for any date as Apple opened the pre-order window for less than 10 minutes. At least I'm not in that boat...

For carrier purchases, I know many 3Supreme Diamond members still haven't even gotten an ETA for their phones, let alone an actual date. Even the carriers have no idea when stock is coming, it seems. Usually supply on carrier issued phones hasn't been limited because Apple requires them to open the packaging and activate the phones in order to gut the resale value.

17. twonga macrumors member

--- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    I got a pre order at 3.02pm, still stuck on processing for 18-11 - 25/11 delivery.

Been also trying on ireserve with no luck :(

18. midlevels thread starter macrumors member

How did you order at 3:02? The website only came online for me at around 3:06? And iOS App didn't come online till even later.

iReserve is a joke. I've been to the confirm screen so many times and after hitting reserve it just says This iPhone is no longer available. Apple can design a great phone but they can't seem to figure out something as simple as a reservation system. It would be so simple to say that for iReserve you have to use an Apple ID that has been active for a certain amount of time and has a payment card associated with it and some active Apple services to avoid scalpers from flooding the system with dummy IDs, but instead they just ignore the problem and cut supply as a solution.

Today, at 8:00am I made it further into the iReserve system than I've done before at this time in the morning, seeing 256GB available at multiple stores, clicking through everything, entering my data, choosing a time, using touch ID to authenticate, and watching hopefully as the wheel went round and round waiting finally for a confirmation, and it gave me the This iPhone is no longer available message again. And I'm not slow at this. iReserve needs a complete overhaul.

19. twonga macrumors member

I got on at 3.02pm, everyone else next to me trying could not even load the page.

Just checked my "wallet" and the apple pay transaction was exactly 3.03pm. Ive given up on iReserve so will just wait now. Should only be another week or so now.

20. midlevels thread starter macrumors member

You ordered on website or app?

21. Chancha macrumors 6502a

He is talking about the Oct 27th 3pm opening, where both AOS and IR accepted orders. Since then AOS direct order has never been opened, only IR every 8am for a few minutes, then very rarely random leaks during daytime.

22. midlevels thread starter macrumors member

Got tired of waiting in the end, asked someone in another country where it's available for same day pickup without this crazy iReserve nonsense to buy it today and send it over to me. Should have the phones by midweek.

Will probably cancel my order due that's due 2nd-9th December now.

23. midlevels thread starter macrumors member

Am still going to follow this, as I found someone who needs phones who couldn't get any pre-orders in and are willing to wait till the early December time slot. So I won't cancel my pre-order and will sell it to them at face value. Curious to know when the orders will ship but no longer personally invested in the delivery timing, as such.

Plus, the credit card points don't hurt! :)

24. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I am planning to head down to HK this weekend and was thinking of trying my luck either at Apple proper or through Sin Tat in Mongkok, but I had let on to my boss that I was looking for one previously. He had mentioned that he knew people who were going to get one for him and said he'd ask for me too, and so I managed to get my X this past Saturday.

Really liking it so far, though there are a number of apps that I use that still haven't been updated to account for the notch. Ah well, it's only a matter of time. Not sure if I'm going to upgrade next year, at least that's what I've been telling myself lately (despite me upgrading every year since the 4S) but if I decide not to, at least I'll save myself some hassle and potential heartache.

25. midlevels thread starter macrumors member

Has your order progressed any further or still in processing? Trying to get to a handle on whether any Apple website pre-orders have shipped yet for Hong Kong customers.

Even carriers here have severe shortages of handsets. Some top level priority customers are still waiting which has never happened with any previous iPhone. These are people who would get handsets at or around launch day.