Hooking up an iMac to a HDTV for gaming

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ztormie, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Ztormie macrumors regular

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. Ztormie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip, but my question was if it would work, not about the price for the cable.

4. Spankey macrumors 6502a

The screen you use does not stress the GPU. The GPU is still rendering the image sent to the screen.

5. Ztormie thread starter macrumors regular

No, but I mean, rendering the 1080p tv screen in games would be less straining than the 2560x1440 screen of the iMac, because of the lower resolution.

6. SaltSlasher macrumors member

Well your iMac doesn't really have nvidia in it, but this is what I do.

I have a GTX 560 Ti in my PC. I run a HDMI to my Samsung 3DTV. My 560 ti came with Batman, which can play in 3D!

I can hook up any game and play it in 3D. Even games that are not built in 3D, I can use my Samsung to convert it to 3D on the spot, which actually works really well, on account of the glasses they trick your eyes.

This doesn't really have anything to do with what you said, but it is just a cool option I took!

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

you can just set the imacs screen to 720p that will help the gpu out a lot. your idea would be good if you could fully shut the imac screen off and play on the big screen. last I heard is both screens will be used with your setup.

why not try to set your imac to 720p setting or 1080p setting and run the one screen to see what you get.