Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Simm0nS777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Hey guys, I'm gonna head to an Apple Store anyway in the next week or so when I have time, but I figured I'd get some opinions before I went. I badly want a replacement (refurbished I'm sure, but I don't care) iPhone 5 due to several small issues with my current iPhone 5 but I'm worried they may be too small/unable to prove on spot to get one. Here are the list of problems I have:

-The gyroscope doesn't work sometimes: A few times a week I'll go to turn my iPhone to view a picture or a webpage in landscape mode and it won't do anything. I'll have to do it 5 or 6 times sometimes to finally get it to rotate.

-The screen will automatically dim to the lowest brightness: Again only happens probably 3 times a week but when it happens I have to go into settings and move to brightness bar to get to full brightness again (yes I have auto brightness off)

-Scratches!!! Aside from the minor scratches on the body of the phone, I've had a ton of hairline scratches on the screen of this iPhone 5. There's like 8 of them. This really bothers me because I pretty much baby my phone. It's in my work dress pants all day and pretty much sits on the couch when I get home from work. Never dropped it or put it in the same pocket as anything else, let alone my keys. I've also never had a noticeable scratch on the past 3 iPhones I've had (3GS, 4, 4S).

Now all of these are pretty minor and chances are I won't be able to prove the first two on the spot at the Apple Store as they happen pretty much randomly.

What do you think my chances are of getting a replacement. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks everyone!!!

raam89

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
The Golden state
-

-The gyroscope doesn't work sometimes: A few times a week I'll go to turn my iPhone to view a picture or a webpage in landscape mode and it won't do anything. I'll have to do it 5 or 6 times sometimes to finally get it to rotate.
When this happens, try switching to a different app that operates in landscape mode, like messages and see what happens.
-The screen will automatically dim to the lowest brightness: Again only happens probably 3 times a week but when it happens I have to go into settings and move to brightness bar to get to full brightness again (yes I have auto brightness off)

for these problems, have you tried restoring the phone software? You might want to give that a try before going to Apple store.

-Scratches!!! Aside from the minor scratches on the body of the phone, I've had a ton of hairline scratches on the screen of this iPhone 5. There's like 8 of them. This really bothers me because I pretty much baby my phone. It's in my work dress pants all day and pretty much sits on the couch when I get home from work. Never dropped it or put it in the same pocket as anything else, let alone my keys. I've also never had a noticeable scratch on the past 3 iPhones I've had (3GS, 4, 4S).
This won't be accepted as a valid reason, IMO

Thanks everyone!!!

Comment

chrscap

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
find any extra loose buttons and go in for an appointment. Tell them its a really annoying rattle because you work in a quiet environment. If your buttons can be moved side-to-side, then you can maybe pass. Play dumb.

I thought mine had a loose power button and found out they all have a "cap" so they wont stick to the body of the phone, says the genius.

Give it a try.

Comment

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Sounds like you either need to do hard reset on the phone or restore of the iOS to fix your problems. Scratches are wear and tear. I would think that AppleCare+ would only cover that issue.

Comment

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
The dim screen happens about once a week on my iPhone 4S and mini so I'm thinking it is an IOS bug. Maybe doesn't effect everybody but it is real to me. Haven't done anything about it. Will soon have 5s and mini 2 so I don't dwell on it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.