Horizontal line? Dots on screen? Crashing? Read this!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mediaboy, Aug 13, 2007.

1. mediaboy macrumors member

I felt the need to post this because of the heartache I had with my MacPro.

The problems:
    1 or 2 pixel horizontal lines on active windows.
    Multiple green/red/blue single pixel dots (especially on black bkg)
    Crashing CONSTANTLY when coming back from screensaver/genie effect/expose

I was constantly on edge working on the computer because it would crash 6 - 10 times a day. Picture would freeze but the mouse would move around the screen.

If you are having this problem, GET YOUR VIDEO CARD REPLACED!

I had to fight/convince/send screen grabs to get them to send me a card, but after explaining that I wasn't an idiot, and I wasn't making the lines up, they sent me a DIY replacement.

I have an ATI XT1900 and once it was replaced the computer is PERFECT!

This has renewed my feelings towards the Mac. Imagine you spent 7 grand on a computer to only have it crash constantly. Thats why I left the PC.

Hope this helps someone with the same problem and frustrations. I just hope you have a warranty or applecare. The replacement (if I didnt return it) was $479!

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Yep, that's a typical heat issue of your graphics card. If the machine is a couple of years old, it's probably dust. Cleaning the card (and the innards of the PM/MP) will do wonders!

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i am having the same type problem. looks like i need a new video card. should i just buy one, or take the computer into the apple store? i don't have applecare anymore :eek:

if someone could help me out with this, i'd be very grateful

4. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

That's just SAD. It's not even worth 1/4 of that. A retail x1950xt costs about $150.00

Way to fleece the people, Apple! :mad:

5. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

8. floam macrumors regular

I was having the same type of problem:

http://aarongyes.com/macpro

I popped in the Apple store with my bad card, they verified it was crap, and walked out with a replacement. Fixed it all.

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that's what i've read everywhere. but since i don't have applecare, i would have to pay for mine, correct?

10. Mossman macrumors member

Dust!

I was having EXACTLY the same problems after installing Leopard..... Had a look over on the Apple discussions and people recommended cleaning the ATi card, which I did, and all good now!

No more lines!!

I will probably clean the card every few months now! :)

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

This is clearly a heating issue and cleaning your card can help.

I cleaned my card, and it fixed it for a short while, but it started happening again. My more recent solution was this:

SMCFanControl: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

Allows you to bump up the minimum speed of your Mac Pro Fans pointed at your PCI bus. I increased mine from the min 500 RPM to 1000 RPM and the problem seems to have gone away again. Other people have reported similar success. It's cheaper than buying a new video card.

arn

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks. too late now though, the new card should be here tomorrow. i'll still try that also.

13. Blubbles macrumors newbie

Ok, so I've been having this weird problem (I've posted it on a few forums). Anyways, I'm confused whether it's the logic board, or just dust. It sounds similar to the one mediaboy had. Blue pixels will just mysteriously appear on my display, and leak through active windows, games, etc. It shows up mostly on darker colors, or the color blue, like it itself is. Also, I get a few lines going through the open pages, and it's hard to watch videos with the blue swirls that move with it. The thing is, is that it comes and goes. It has happened before quite a while ago, and it never came back until recently (We're talking months). I'm using my mom's powerbook G4 15" that's getting fairly old.

Please help! Dust or logic board? :confused: