Horrible drunk driving accident in Ohio

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Maybe it's because this happened in Toledo, which I've driven through, in Ohio, where I live.

Maybe it's because the accident was so horrifying -- check out the picture; read about the four little kids killed.

Maybe it's just that I'm an old fogey and I want all of you, of us, to think about this the next time we've had a few too many.

But this is just sickening:

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

when he gets out of the hospital, that a**hole should be used as a crash test dummy for about a week straight until he goes to jail.

3. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

That is so tragic. I feel for the families of those involved, but I also feel terrible for the police officers who were obviously well-aware of the danger this drunk driver posed but were unable to stop him in time. That's a case where another minute or two might have made all the difference.

There was a similar tragedy in a city near me just a month ago, where a drunk driver crossed to the wrong side of the road and smashed into an oncoming car killing four elderly women. They were returning home from a church supper.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=ca4e9841-621f-4626-833f-0a6b5e0bad8e

4. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

a whole family killed because some ******* decided that he should drink and drive.my god this makes me soo mad. he should be in jail for the rest of his life.:(

5. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Yikes, I currently live in Toledo, and it's very scary to hear about it on roads I've traveled on. Makes life seem that much more tenuous.

My thoughts go out to the family of the victims =(

EDIT: Here's a local version of the story:
    http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=7559419

6. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I really feel for the family that was injured. It always seems like the victims are the worst hurt / killed, while the drunk driver gets off with a scratch.

However, by reading the article, it seems like the side door of the minivan was ripped off, and the people went flying out. I'm not trying to add insult to injury, but were the children wearing seatbelts? If they weren't, it makes you wonder if they would still be living right now if they had been.

7. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I remember somewhere in the story that they said some did wear seatbelts, as the chair was ejected as well as the passenger. But I'm sure some didn't wear their seatbelts, as it was a Chevy Astro, and I'm sure people weren't all sitting facing front. Was it a road trip?

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm not sure seat belts would've made much of a difference. Look at the photo again. Half the car is gone.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

such a tragedy. always makes me sad when i hear these stories

10. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Sure would be nice to just launch a bullet between the eyes of the POS SOB who did this.

11. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

This is one more reason I believe EVERYONE should have a gun at all times, a drunk guy pulls up to your window at a fast food place you shoot him.

12. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Assuming you're even serious, let's not go in that direction. We'll end up in the PRSI forum.

13. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Ugh.

Stupid people.

Hopefully this guy's able to get help, 'cause obviously he's got a hell of a problem.

14. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

when drunk driving is involved, it's not an accident. i've always had this saying, you drive, you die. dopes like this make me scared sometimes to get on the road at all, thinking that i'll die at the hands of drunken idiots. that's not how i want to be remembered.

stories like this make me depressed and think it's all my fault. so sad.:(

15. klymr macrumors 65816

My sister-in-laws father was killed by a drunk driver just over 4 years ago this last November. The b*****d already had 4-5 DUI's and was driving a company vehicle. He was NOT supposed to be driving the company truck because he had no license and all the convictions.

The guy crossed the median at the last second and took off the whole side of the car killing her father instantly. I think they said they figured the guy was going like 75 when he her fathers car going about 50. His story was there was a moose in his lane and he had to swerve to miss it. I think he got put in jail with a $1000 bail. Who let's someone back on the street after being caught drunk behind the wheel that many times?!

It's a tragedy to hear about these accidents. It's a little more personal when you know someone who has been affected by an accident like this though.

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

17. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

if only:rolleyes:
    we had a similar accident here in Washington a while back, a man was DUI, and hit and killed 6 children and the mother. the guy who was drunk was the one who survived. sometimes i hate this world

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sad story indeed.

Not sure what the answer is with drunk drivers. Many who have accidents have been caught DUI before. Stiffer penalties might help as a deterrence.

Man this is so sad...

19. Dakotafan macrumors 6502

That's horrible. The DUI laws are not harsh enough. I read somewhere a guy was arrested for like the 14th DUI offense.

These people are putting lives in jeopardy and are only getting a slap on the wrist when caught.

20. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yep. ANY is too much if you're going to drive.

If you really want to know, it is the legislature, which defines the level of punishment for crimes, as well as deciding how to categorize the level of a crime. Personally, I'd say that after some number of DUI's you just get "all day and all night," which means life without the possibility of parole. And the death penalty should be on the table for someone who has multiple DUI convictions and kills someone while DUI.

21. vixapphire macrumors 6502

maybe there's some redeeming feature here in that the drunk guy gets to spend the rest of his life (hopefully in the klink) thinking about what he did.

what about the dad (driver of the minivan)? having just spent christmas with his family and driving back home with the car full of gifts, in a split second he has just lost his wife and four kids! i can't begin to appreciate the depth of grief and sorrow that'll mark the rest of his life. with a wife and kid of my own (and a love of going on road trips), it's very difficult to read things like this.

22. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

23. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

It's disgusting how someone can have no consideration for not only his life, but all the others on the road:mad:

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

What is stopping drunk driving from being punished on the level that many (including myself) feel that it should be? Strength of the alcohol lobby?

Where I'm from drunk driving is as common as drinking. I can't think of anyone I know in my folks home town who doesn't have at least one DUI.

25. drewyboy macrumors 65816

Same thing happened here in Minneapolis,MN. A sheriff had his wife along doing a ride along on his shift new years eve.. and well they were able to bring the new years together. Anywho... 3am rolls around and the same thing happens, a drunk driver was in the wrong lane on a highway and smashed into his patrol car and killed his wife. What a way to end a new years.

This country's driving laws are ****. I dont swear often but I am pissed. In europe...correct me if i'm wrong, it is a lot more expensive to get a license and after a few offenses your license is taken away. There recently was a law passed in europe stating that if your caught talking on your cell phone while driving you are put in jail for 2 years... no questions. That's how it should be over here.