Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szabmanu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2018
Hello, my name is Manuel. I own a mid 2015 MBP with a AMD R9 370X 2Gb graphics card, I7 processor, 16gb RAM. Running Windows 10 in bootcamp. My problem is that I don't get over 20-30 fps in any game. I've tried games (Flatout 2 Ultimate Carnage) where the recommended system requirements are 256mb of graphics card and still am getting just about 20 fps. I've tried to change the resolution but this changes only about 5fps in some cases. Games I've tried are: Oblivion 15fps, Skyrim 10-20 fps, Morrowind 17fps, Fallout 3 20fps, Fallout 4 15-20 fps. I've set the priority of the games on "realtime" in Taskmanager but still only getting about 5fps from it. Drivers are up to date. Some of these games are from 2006 and the system requirements are only 256-512mb of graphics card...I know that macbooks are not gaming machines but I think they should do better than that in old games.

What could be the problem?

Thank you!

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
Did you try lowering the resolution? You will run into extremely low frame rates on all games if you try to play pretty much any game on a MBP at native resolution.

Edit: Never mind. I obviously can't read your post. :eek:

szabmanu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2018
Yes, I lowered Skyrim to 1680×1050 and the older ones on 1920x1200. Why can't you read my post? :D

I think I should be able to play old games like Oblivion and Morrowind in native MBP resolution since their recommended requirements of graphics card are 256-512mb and I have 2 gb...I have lowered the resolution even below full hd but i'm getting only about 5 frames per second improvement in some cases. Yesterday I played Fallout 3 in 2560×1440 and was getting 17-20 fps. After I changed the resolution to 1920x1200 I still got only 17-20 fps.

Last edited:

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
You don't explicitly mention it, so: have you installed (and/or updated) the Bootcamp Drivers provided by Apple? Windows itself does not necessarily find the required drivers for the components in your Mac.

szabmanu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2018
Hello Janichsan, yes, I have updaed the Bootcamp Drivers provided by apple. There is that software called "Apple Software Update". I actually rolled back the video card driver because the new driver was not letting me change the brightness of the display. Anyways, gaming was as bad with the new driver as it was with the older one. The strange thing is that I get the same level of performance from an old game as I get from a newer game that has 3x higher system requirements than the old one. In Oblivion my graphics card usage is at 50% and am getting only 17-20fps no matter on what resolution I play. I will reinstall Windows 10 and see if there is any improvement.

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
Yeah I don't know what to say... I haven't tried any games other than Age of Empires 2 in boot camp so far (game originally created in 1999). And well, of course it runs great on it. I'll see if I can get a few more games from Steam to even run on my MBP later today, but I really don't expect much from it. Thankfully I have a desktop PC for those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.