Horrified. Mortified. The new Macbook "Pro".

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by futuremac, Oct 14, 2008.

1. futuremac macrumors member

I still can't comprehend the lunacy. How depressing. Is the design team under new management?

• Glossy screen?
    • Top range 15" MBP $600 more expensive (From 3,399 to 3,999 AUD)
    • Low range 15" MPB a few hundred more expensive (I forgot the old price)

And the new Cinema Display? LED is good but otherwise...........horrific. An absolute joke.

Did you hear the deadly silence of the audience Apple? Biggest mistake ever.

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Macbooks have gone up as well, AUD$100 for the white model and AUD$200 for the new ones.

3. P Mentior macrumors regular

Its the glossy screen that really gets me. I have had computers with it and without it and i have to say that I really prefer the Matte screens a better

4. P Mentior macrumors regular

I'm not planning on getting one. I have the 2.5 15" Pro with Matte and I'm hoping to have it a nice long time. Hopefully by the time mine gives out Apple will give us a matte option and i will get that.

5. futuremac thread starter macrumors member

And I was prepared to buy today. I might look into these hackintosh thingies.

6. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

7. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

The lack of the matte option in the 15" is total crap. I need color accuracy for photography uses, and have little interesting in selling my kidneys for a 17 inch MacBook Pro that won't even fit in an airplane seat or on my lap.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Because the Australian dollar is down 20-30% from where it was in July relative to the US Dollar. It fluctuates so much that I can't even give you an exact value from when they decided upon the price.

Be happy that they ONLY raised the price of each unit by $200. That's less than the drop in the Aussie dollar.

9. martinmartin macrumors 6502

im surprised that there are still only 2 USB ports on the Pro model. this seems like something that would be so easy to add, but i guess it would detract from the minimalist aesthetic.

10. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Oh yeah, that "recession" thing. :rolleyes:

11. futuremac thread starter macrumors member

They didn't decrease the price when the dollar was up, so it'd be very greedy of them to increase prices while its down.

12. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

It's because running more than two devices that require power through USB would work the battery too hard. Sure there are hubs, but then you kind of realize it's like plugging a power bar into your laptop.

I prefer hubs anyway, as I never use more than 2 USB ports while unplugged, and while at home I just plug in my powered hub and only need to plug one cord in. :D

13. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

F*cking exactly.

14. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I can understand it for the newer models, but for the old white MB?

15. redmeister macrumors 6502

good point re: currencies. wonder how that impacts apple's bottom line worldwide. lots of currencies been fluctuating big time

16. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Just how color accurate can a 6-bit TN panel be to begin with? Those really concerned with color accuracy are going to grade on properly calibrated external displays anyway. :rolleyes:

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, they did it several years ago.

18. MBX macrumors 65816

Oh yeah RIGHT!

You mean on those new GLOSSY Apple Led HD Displays???

19. futuremac thread starter macrumors member

They should also remove that fancy and ugly black border from their entire product line. It goes against their philosophy of simplicity. UTILITY IS INHERENTLY BEAUTIFUL!

20. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I don't see anything wrong with the black border. I think having the silver boarder is more than distracting than the black which blends in more with the screen, especially if you have a background image with black in it.

I want to know if there are ANY plans to change the 17" mbp to the new enclosure.

21. MBX macrumors 65816

Maybe but not if the border is 60 inches thick.

The beauty of a screen is when it goes right to the edge as much as possible.

Now they increased the border around the screen. Just really stupid

22. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I have TREMENDOUS empathy for a company with 19 Billion in the bank.
    </sarcasm>

23. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It looks like a toy. And it's indistinguishable from the Macbook, besides being slightly bigger. If I were in the market for an MBP, I'd get an older model, no question. The new models remind me of the ever-changing Nano.

24. aleni macrumors 68000

how do u make the lcd bezel thinner in old mbp and mb? they did it the right thing by putting a black glass border.

if they can make the footprint smaller, keep the thin profile and be able to put the parts in without problem im sure they will do it because it will make their products even nicer.

but the current condition now is not possible for them to make it like that.