Host your own Windows 7 Launch Party! Really Microsoft, really!?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by RCGMac, Sep 23, 2009.

1. RCGMac macrumors regular

This is just so painful to watch, MS is not doing any favors for themselves. http://gawker.com/5366070/host-your-own-awful-party-for-windows-7

I think Windows 7 will be a solid OS, must better than Vista, but really a launch party!? Why can't MS just sell the OS, maybe provide some ads on the improvements of the OS. MS is not helping its case towards the end of the video where it emphasizes the you should actually install Microsoft's operating system at least 48 hours before your install party. :confused:

While recently MS has released some decent products (Windows 7, Zune HD), they keep cutting themselves off at the knees by doing stupid stuff (launch party garbage and locking the Zune to Windows).

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I don't see why this is a large concern, it's a decent attempt at new (tech) marketing.

3. RCGMac thread starter macrumors regular

I will agree, house parties are becoming a popular way to sell anything from political views to consumer products. I wasn't being critical of the idea as much as the execution. The tutorial on how to host these parties was pretty painful to watch, it all seemed very forced to me. Kudos to MS for trying something new, I just wish the execution would have been better.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

While I have to admit when I first heard of this house party idea I immediately thought of Tupperware parties, but I think this makes sense if the target is your 'base level' computer users and recent troubles with convincing that same target market to go from XP to Vista.

If you think about it they are providing a simple demonstration of the changes to the OS in a friendly, familiar setting where personal attention can be paid.

If you're the kind of computer user who's only want of an OS is to be able to keep doing what you're doing, dramatic or even subtle changes to the UI can be anxiety inducing and frustrating. If these computer users were shown what the differences were and how to 'get it done' on the new OS in an environment that they feel welcomes feedback and questions they'd probably be won over.

Apple's one-on-one sessions are along the same lines, it's just that Microsoft has turned down the expectations and taken the experience out of the store.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The iPhone is not locked to Mac OS X. There are plenty of Windows users who have iPhones. Now, developing applications for the iPhone is locked to Macs, but that's different.

6. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I'll be throwing a party - as the only guest migrating dozens of 7 RC setups I've done this year to RTM.

7. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I am glad you don't work for Apple.

8. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'll be hitting the clubs kk. Still <3 you microsoft

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Goes to show Microsoft's desperate & failed attempts to capture the spotlight for once.

11. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Shouldn't this be under Community Discussion?

12. RCGMac thread starter macrumors regular

My apologies if I posted this in the wrong place. Mods please feel free to move if needed.

13. Ariez macrumors regular

MS has been winning in marketing lately. Almost all of their ads are popular, especially the latest Win7 ones with that cute little girl.

14. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Nah, this is pure Ballmer.

15. Nohg macrumors member

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member