Hotmail on iphone....

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by brian4610, Aug 3, 2008.

1. brian4610 macrumors regular

Is there an issue if i logged onto my hotmail account? would i be able to see my emails?

I'm in the process of starting a gmail account, but i'm having trouble getting my incoming emails to hotmail to transfer over to gmail.

Also, you can get your emails to 'push' with gmail correct? How does this work? do you get a notification, and then you have to log onto gmail, or do you get a notification and you can just view the email right there?

I get email alerts on my phone now (sprint, mobile msn) where i just get a text that says hotmail: John Doe (no subject), and from there i have to log into mobile msn (a long process) in order to view the email.

anyway, if you could explain how it all works, and if you're able to view hotmail on your iphone i'd appreciate it.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Unless you have a really old account and are willing to do something convoluted, you can't do it for free.

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I can't even get Hotmail to work on OS X Safari! :(

4. brian4610 thread starter macrumors regular

well, i've had my account since '99, but what won't work?

-hotmail on iphone (after logging in through MSN.com or Hotmail.com)?

-forwarding messages from hotmail to gmail, and then having it 'pushed' to your iphone?

if someone could explain what happens when an email is 'pushed' i'd appreciate it. (see op)

5. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

yeah, my gf has hotmail and can only access it through the safari browser on iphone, it's completely lame but effective to say the least.

Hotmail will not forward to Gmail only to another hotmail, live, or msn account.

Hotmail is whack...

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

for like 17-18 bucks a year you can subscribe to izymail (izymail.com) which will allow you to hook up your hotmail to the mail.app on your iphone and mac. i use it, and it works pretty good.

7. brian4610 thread starter macrumors regular

so, i can stay with hotmail, and maybe just use the sign-in page as my homepage, and rely on texts to let me know when i have a new email or...

i switch over to gmail full time, and from there i can use 'push' and have it sent to my phone? is it an instant notification, or is does it check every 10 min, 15 min, etc?

and they way push works is: in the mail icon it will tell me when i have a message, and from there i can see the email?

8. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Gmail doesn't push email to your phone, but it can automatically check for new mail every 15 minutes. When you have a new mail, your phone will vibrate and play a short notification sound. Also, you'll see a number on the email icon at your home screen showing how many new emails you have. Do what I do, and keep your hotmail as a junk account, like for signing up for free crap, and use gmail for everything else.

9. brian4610 thread starter macrumors regular

I set up an izymail account (free version), and have had my hotmail pushed to my iphone and it's worked just fine, zero problems. it gets updated every 15min and has been reliable.

I thought that Gmail would push immediately, that was the only reason i was interested in it. Hotmail is far, far, from perfect, but i'm used to it and i'm happy to be able to keep it.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

G-Mail doesn't push, but it DOES sync using IMAP. (Meaning: if you erase a message on the phone it erases from the server.) I don't believe Hotmail offers that unless you pay for it.

This means you'll have to delete every e-mail on the phone and AGAIN when you log into the website.

11. gugy macrumors 68030

Hotmail Plus

If I subscribe for Hotmail Plus, would that allow for me to check hotmail on my iPhone?
    I have the regular hotmail and I am not able to it. I even tried to forward my email from Hotmail to Gmail, but it doesn't allow me to forward to any email other from the MSN family.

I heard about Izymail, but I don't want to pay for it.

I appreciate any feedback.

12. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Umm need help?

i can help you set up gmail to push contacts, calanedar, and contacts for free just post saying anything and ill post the instructions asap :D

13. gugy macrumors 68030

well if there is a way to retrieve and reply my email messages from hotmail on my iPhone, I will appreciate your help very much!

14. GogDog macrumors newbie

Go to mobile.live.com on your phone to check hotmail. Its the only way I have gotten hotmail to work on my iPhone. It's simple and fast, although I only use hotmail for my junk mail. Gmail FTW.

15. Linuss macrumors regular

Yes, you CAN forward hotmail through G-mail... don't let anyone say otherwise, because I have it set up to do so on my iPhone. Just do a google search on how it's done. Takes a few minutes, but it's no biggy.

16. gugy macrumors 68030

i tried forwarding using my gmail but hotmail did not allow to forward to any other account besides MSN family.

how did you do it?:confused:

17. monkeytennis macrumors member

Options (button at the far right), Forward mail to another e-mail account.

Works for me - dead easy. My hotmail account is now just a forwarding machine and I use Gmail for everything.

18. Bossone macrumors member

But you have to have the premium hotmail account....correct? The free version only forwards to another hotmail account.

19. gugy macrumors 68030

that's what I have been saying. This is not an option under free hotmail.

20. Linuss macrumors regular

I use free hotmail, so I know it can be done.

Problem is I don't remember what instructions I followed to be able to do this (Yup, noob me), but it is one of the first few google links out there.

21. gugy macrumors 68030

you must have done something very special then.

This is the message I get once I put a gmail account in the forwarding area:

"You're only able to forward mail to a custom domain or an e-mail address that ends in hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com. Please try again."

That's where I can't move forward.
    I did follow the instruction from MacOSXhints.com and I always get stuck on the forwarding part, unfortunately.
    MSN sucks!

22. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

My Method

When I first started years and years ago, I started with an MSN email account. I have had it for years and like all above wanted a simple free way to get it to my iPhone. Tried izymail and it was just another bill and just let it go. 8 months ago I opened a free Gmail account and love it to death.

My msn email account now forwards ALL emails to my gmail account and I have it set so that when it forwards an email, it deletes it from the msn mail box so that it does not fill up. I also have outlook set to check it once a month just to show acitivity so they don't close the account.

HOW TO: Open up your web brower and type www.hotmail.com in the address bar. It should show a Windows Live loggin screen. Use your @hotmail or @msn email user name and your loggin password. It should take your to your hotmail screen. In the upper right corner, click on the "Options" button. Fourth selection down under manage account should see a blue hyper link that says forward email. Follow the instructions and set up your preferences. For me it works great and it kind of also acts like a second filter...msn screens it first, then gmail so I may get 1 spam a week if that.

NOTE: Ensure that you are NOT logged into your MSN account anywhere, to include messenger. If you have a friends computer its even better.
    Hope it works for ya
    Gary

23. gugy macrumors 68030

Thanks Gary,

I did exactly what you said few times in the last couple of weeks.
    Maybe recently Microsoft changed the policy regarding forwarding emails for people who have free Hotmail.

Right now you ONLY can forward email to another MSN family email: hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com

24. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Really sorry about that...I thought it would work for others as I have free email as well but use a @msn email and not a hotmail from way back.

Looks like you may have to pay somewhere, either through izzy or msn or just start changing everything to Gmail.

Good Luck
    Gary

25. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Ok, I signed up specifically to reply to this thread - although I've read some other threads and I like the site.

Alright, well first of all I just want to say that I have setup my hotmail to my iPhone no problem whatsoever. I simply went to Options> Forward... and typed in a Gmail account I setup specifically for the task. And, to make it even better (so that I can reply from my phone under my @hotmail email, I setup Gmail to mirror the other account). Done and done. Works 100% perfectly, and it even shows up as ____@hotmail.com on my iPhone.

I had posted my success in the comments of a blog post about doing the above described (well the first part at least), and in that blog post I also discussed my tactic for mirroring my @hotmail (as described above), and within a few hours I had more than a few emails asking me how exactly I was able to forward my email. I didn't quite understand the confusion. I said I would get back to these people in the form of a tutorial that would explain everything.

So I sat down to write it, and get pictures as I did the process via new accounts, and this is where I realized what the problem was. It seems that hotmail has changed their email forwarding policy somewhere along the line. At first I figured that it was probably country specific accounts that were to blame. I'm Canadian, my account forwarded, the email replies were all from Americans. It seemed possible. So I tested it out, and it turns out that it's not country specific. What has actually happened - I think - is that Hotmail has changed their policy, so that all NEW hotmail accounts (I have no idea how new - I've had my hotmail account for 9 years now) are only able to forward to @hotmail, @msn, or @live, and not to outside emails.

So basically, if you have a really old hotmail account, you're lucky, and you're able to setup forwarding to Gmail, and to follow the numerous tutorials on the net to get your email pulled to your iPhone via the stock Mail app. If, however, you're using a new hotmail account you're out of luck. As far as I can tell 100% out of luck. I'm working on figuring out a work around, and I think I have an idea of how it might be able to be done, but for the time being you're pretty much SOL.

I hope this clears up any confusion. It should also vindicate a few people who figured they must have been completely incompetent in being unable to follow the simple tutorials out there :p!