Hotspot from Unlimited Data Plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tfrees, Mar 12, 2011.

1. tfrees macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Has anyone jumped down to the 2GB plan so they can get the hotspot feature? Was it worth it? I have personally never gone over 1.5 GBs in one month, but I'm afraid of getting rid of my unlimited data.

2. svenn macrumors 6502

What are you afraid of? If you know you don't ever use over 2gb, then why not?

3. tfrees thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm just not sure if it's worth it. And I do t wanna lose unlimted if its not worth it

4. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

If you add tethering (required for hotspot use) it adds 2gb, so you end up with 4gb for $45 a month vs $30 for unlimited.

5. tfrees thread starter macrumors member

Ok. Do you have the tethering feature?

6. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I go about it in a different way. I have an unlimited data plan, I chose to jailbreak and use MyWi.

7. Send72nj macrumors newbie

With the new iPad and new apps, we could start using more and more data. I don't want to lose my unlimited plan. I do want to tether my iPad to my iPhone. Cant AT&T meet us in the middle??? Some kind of amalgam of phone,iPad data???

8. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

For whatever one person's opinion is worth, I get better results with the ATT hotspot than I do with jailbreak and MyWi.

Bluetooth works better. I couldn't get it to work at all with MyWi.

USB tethering works better. With OSX 10.6.6, the iMac and MacBook would both occasionally crash...frequently crash...enough to make the feature useless on MyWi.

WiFi works the same, whether hotspot or jailbreak MyWi.

Speed is the same. No difference between the officially supported hotspot and MyWi.

-via iPad

9. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Tethering plan gives you 4GB total.

My heaviest month was 1.3GB, and that included a couple of Netflix movies!

Even if you go over, it is only £10 per GB.

Doesn't seem so bad to me.

-via iPad

10. Send72nj macrumors newbie

Your no dummy, Netflix would be one of the bigger draws on the network!!!
    Guess I just have to move ahead!!! Don't care for jailbreak, two many updates and such.

11. tfrees thread starter macrumors member

Is the $10 overage charge for the 2 GB of regular data or the hotspot data?

12. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

If you get rid of your unlimited data plan you are making a huge mistake. Jailbreak and get tetherme.

13. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

what I did made sense for me. I had unlimited plan son had the 2GB and went over every month rather then the hassle of switching phone # I paid even so I hardly ever used more then 2GB ........so I did it I switched numbers.
    But in all honesty that was not even the plan.
    When I finally decided I need the oversized iphone for Christmas it made more sense to wait for the new ipad (hopefully lighter not so bulky). SO I looked around for mifi plans and had gotten for Christmas an mifi card from virgin (which uses Sprint) and is pay as you go. I have not even used it yet because the idea was to use it with the new ipad.
    Afterall many places have free wifi anyway.
    SO I got the wifi only and plenty of options for data

14. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

No way. The better these devices get the more data we need

15. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

WHY is he making a "huge mistake"?

16. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Personally I would say to stay with the unlimited data plan. I kinda wish I had that option.

17. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

They do not differentiate whether the data is via the hotspot or the device held in your hand. The 4GB bucket and the $10.00 increments are all the same data bucket.

18. svenn macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

19. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

One thing to remember is that unlimited is not going to keep staying around forever. I have a feeling that there will be no way to grandfather the "3G Unlimited" plan once you have to sign up for a 4G LTE plan.

The AT&T hotspot plan affords a total of 4 gigs, you're probably pretty safe with that.

20. Eric5964 macrumors regular

Eric5964

I switched and gave up unlimited...was hesitant at first, but after examination, I wasn't even using 400 MB a month and now have 4 GB with the new arrangement and HotSpot. I was also able to turn off my 3G iPad and roll with the HotSpot, that alone was costing me $30 a month. So I am ahead $15 a month with the new IPad 2 and can now tether my laptop when needed. I also acted bummed out when talking to the ATT rep about losing the unlimited plan, and asked what they could do for me....he kicked me a $100 credit to my account. Very happy with the new setup. I agree with whoever said that the unlimited will probably going away anyway as time goes on, so letting go made sense for my usage.

EricE

21. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

OP if you aren't afraid/are able to jailbreak, your best bet is to wait for the impending 4.3 jailbreak, then jailbreak and grab a copy of TetherMe for $2.

What this package does is enable all of the native tethering options on your iPhone (Through USB, bluetooth or the new Wifi hotspot) but allows you to keep your unlimited data plan.

If you activate tethering through AT&T, you will pay more money a month for less data. If you intend to tether, it's logical to think that you will use more data, no?

You are paying for unlimited data, use it how you want.

22. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

157 GBs this month for 30 dollars owns your 4GB for 45 dollars...

unlimited + jailbreak = #winning

23. tfrees thread starter macrumors member

Duh

24. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

:rolleyes:

25. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

I wish they would come out with an unlimted family plan or all device I would pay up to $100