Hotspot: VZW Unlimited, iPhone 6, iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GeologyRocks, Sep 14, 2014.

1. GeologyRocks macrumors newbie

All-

Trying to get my facts straight so I don't ruin the awesome plan I have going.

I currently am on the old unlimited plan from Verizon with a rooted HTC One M8 that I use as a hotspot for ALL of my home internet needs. I have never received a warning letter nor have been throttled.

I want to buy an iPhone but do not want to lose this capability. I have read a lot of conflicting reviews about what VZW does with iPhone users trying to do this but am coming here for the real answers.

I understand that I will likely have to jailbreak the phone, correct? Any other helpful hints or insights are appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes only if you jb it.
    Also verizon from October 1st starts throttling.
    So party is over even if you use an android or iPhone. 4.7GB of data at full speed and then you get throttled for 2 billing cycles.

3. GeologyRocks, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

GeologyRocks thread starter macrumors newbie

This is contrary to what I have read from Verizon in response to the FCC letters. Do you have any citations for this claim?

4. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

You can pay for hotspot, $30 a month. Jailbreak it if you want it for free.

Or you can do what I do use my verizon app or go to their website and activate hotspot, at the end of the day deactivate it. Essentially you're only getting charged $1 a day for hotspot and not getting charged for days you didn't use it.

Link to Verizon "network optimization"
    http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/mobl/features.info_data_disclosure.tp_2.html

5. andrewket, Sep 14, 2014

andrewket macrumors regular

Verizon is calling it network optimization.

They insist that it's not throttling. Verizon's definition of throttling is that your speed is always reduced. Verizon is stating that under network optimization, users who meet certain criteria, namely: unlimited data plan, outside of contract, and are in the top 5% of data consumers as determined on a rolling basis (currently ~4.6GB) will be deprioritized on a per cell-sector basis, based on load measured multiple times per second. Confused? If's throttling for sure, but done dynamically. If your line is deemed to be within the top 5% in a billing cycle, you will be immediately deprioritzed for that period and the next. This includes ALL of your data use, not just the data use above the threshold.

46 GB in one month is insane. My average use for the past 6 month period is 5GB/month, which puts me into the top 5%. My peak was 12GB, but that was because I was driving cross country and was using my hotspot (which I pay extra for) to stay in touch for work. I think 5GB is fair, and even my occasional 12GB use due to travel is fair. Not paying for the hotspot and using 46 GB at home is abuse, imho. But to each is own.

6. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

If you want it for free you'll need to jailbreak.

Otherwise it's a feature you can add on for $30 for unlimited mobile hotspot and you can add and remove it at any time.

Just go to change features on my Verizon.

7. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

You mentioned iPhone 6, you'll have to pay for hotspot until it's jail broken which usually takes a few months.

8. GeologyRocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Will VZW throttle or "manage" people who pay the $30 for hotspot? Or will changing my contract to include hotspot void me of the grandfathered unlimited?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you pay an extra $30 for hotspot then not sure how they will do it.
    Im not sure if they will still throttle you passed 4.7GB used or not. We will have to wait and see within a few weeks when they start "Optimizing" people:D
    And no they wont switch you out of your unlimited data plan if you add the $30 tethering option.

10. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

NOT if you are on contract. to all of you UD plans on verizon, when you get a new phone, make sure you commit to a 2 year contract, you will not be throttled as per verizon new "network optimization"

11. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

How do you keep unlimited data with a contract? I'm month to month but you're saying I can get in a contract, just not use my phone upgrade subsidy and still keep unlimited with no throttling?

12. EzDoesItSC macrumors member

I have unlimited as well and I was informed by vzw that the hot spot you could add doesnt use your unlimited it comes with only 2gb per month.

13. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

So if you enable the hotspot for $30 and cancel the next day you'd only get charged for the two days of use ($2)?

14. GeologyRocks thread starter macrumors newbie

Please take unrelated questions elsewhere. (re subsidies, changing contracts, etc)

15. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Correct.

Now the first month they might charge you the full $30 but they'll credit you $28 next month and afterwards they'll just take whatever amount of days you had it active. I'm not sure if they still do this so you might need to call Verizon to see if that's their method.

But you are correct, if you used it for 3 days then deactivate it you only get charged $3. When you do activate you'll see three options, select the one that starts today.

16. ercsliberty, Sep 14, 2014

ercsliberty macrumors 6502

edited now...

17. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

During this billing cycle, which isn't over yet, I've used 128gb. What percentage do you think I am?

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

According to verizon you are in the top 5% of data users. Anything over 4.7GB's qualifies you.

19. GeologyRocks thread starter macrumors newbie

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like what?
    Anything specific you want to know?
    I think we already answered your question.
    To get the hotspot without paying for it you need to JB.
    Without JB you will not get tethering on unlimited data plan unless you pay an additional $30.
    October 1st verizon will start throttling once you hit 4.7GB"s of data.

21. GeologyRocks thread starter macrumors newbie

22. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

I put my VZW UDP sim into an iPad mini and get the hotspot feature. Unfortunate one can't do this with a phone.

23. erure macrumors regular

No. I added hotspot after I was grandfathered and I've never been throttled or thrown off my unlimited data plan.

24. bturkel macrumors newbie

SO if I buy and Iphone 6 and Jailbreak I will be able to use the wifi tether for free I am an unlimited customer of Verizon as well - It would be my 1st Iphone so I would need some help here

25. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Yes. Or you can pay $30/mo for unlimited tethering and not worry about doing something against the TOS.