How about bluray ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aponsin, Apr 8, 2009.

1. aponsin macrumors member

Where do we stand on that whole issue, Mac OSX is still not HDCP compatible, software and hardware wise?

I have add a pc for HTPC for more than 2 years, and I have always been able to play bluray on it... I am thinking of switching to mac to do that... either putting the mac pro close enough to the TV or buying a mac mini to do the job...

I already own a bluray player... thinking of buying an external USB case 5.25" or maybe e-stata and to use it that way to play blurays... (hollywood blurays...)

Anybody managed that yet ?

Alex

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Blu-ray works on the Mac, only IF your using as a mass media backup device... for movie playback, forget it

3. aponsin thread starter macrumors member

Pff that s.cks !!! Big time... how long as the bluray been out ?? Huh... Somebody needs to wake up at apple...

Alex

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can watch Blu-ray movies on VLC or another player. However Apple hasn't moved Blu-ray into their systems because of the complex licensing issues. Had HD-DVD succeeded, these issues would never have come up. Until the issues are solved, Apple won't waste the time nor the money in Blu-ray, even if they are one of the sponsors.

TEG

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hollywood doesn't make movies that I wish to spend money on... so I don't really miss not having Blu-ray as a HD content player!!

6. aponsin thread starter macrumors member

Well everyone has a different opinion and needs.
    But looking at the number of talks about ripping the blurays... providing a solution that gives the choice (for the people who wants to watch them) isn't a bad idea IMO.

What's so complex about licensing? It's about hardware (HDCP compliance sh.t) and software to playback? If apple does not want to provided the player, let others do it... but considering - apparently - the hardware capacity is not even there.... this leaves no choice.

Well I guess I'll keep doing like everyone else, I'll watch rips and for free... too bad I was ready to actually buy movies...

Alex

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

What? you don't like DVD quality? How big is your monitor anyway?

8. grue macrumors 65816

Apple did this with CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW… no surprise they're doing it with BRD. Apple sucks -hard- at adopting new optical disk formats.

9. grue macrumors 65816

What makes you think the hardware isn't compatible with HDCP?

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

From a business standpoint, it's pretty clear that Apple doesn't care about Blu-ray. Why? The iTunes Store. Why would they want you to buy HD movies on Blu-ray (which makes them NO money) when they can sell you the same movie in HD as downloadable content? In a world of iPods and iMacs, Apple makes the majority of their revenue on consumer-level business. So, that's their biggest target.

I'd love to see Blu-ray authoring support become a reality with DVD Studio Pro as much as the next guy, but something makes me doubt that even that will happen. Professional content creators would want to use HDCP encryption to protect their work, which would necessitate support for HDCP in Apple displays and OS X for test playback (most modern graphics chipsets are already HDCP aware). This would force premature obsolescence on the new 24" LED Cinema Display, which also doesn't support HDCP. Not to mention, anger current 20/23/30" ACD owners (three other fine non-HDCP displays...). Gee, thanks Steve!

While most graphics cards (including the ones Apple uses) are HDCP compliant, Apple doesn't manufacture a single HDCP compliant display. HDCP compliance requires a chip and licensing from Silicon Image. Even if Apple conceivably enabled BD and HDCP support in 10.6, iMacs and MacBooks won't play protected BDs and Pro and Mini owners would have to buy third-party monitors.

11. grue macrumors 65816

Ever tried it on an ACD24 or Mid-2006+ ACD30?

12. aponsin thread starter macrumors member

Understood, and I agree on your analysis. But it does not make it right. Itunes does not offer equivalent content... and I am not ready to start downloading 25 gig content over ma crap.y 2mb ADSL...

If there was an actual alternative to this through Itunes of whatever... then sure, this is a choice we could make. But in the current market if you are apple only you basically have no real choice if you want to watch high quality movies.
    And just to further discuss the mater, we could argue the same with DVDs... it does not bring money back to Apple... but they still offer it, well because it simply increases their popularity, the offerings of their products, etc. I just don't understand why they are not taking the same approach with bluray... at least to offer it as an option... and anyway, people serious about High Def are not watching that on their work monitor...
    I have a 1900x1200 24inch display (not the new LED apple), that is actually HDCP compliant, but I don't even care, I want to watch blueray on my 50inch 1080p plasma screen !

And in order to do that, because I like a media centralization, I like not to have twelve remote, I like to use the same interface to do everything... I actually built an HTPC on windows... and the only reason why I choose windows is because that's the only operating system that allows me to read blurays... and I have been thinking a long time to convert that htpc box to osx because that's the last windows machine of my place and I want to get rid of it... but apparently I still can't... so I guess scr.w apple... for that. I'll keep spending my $ on windows software until they understand that there is a market of bluray on osx.

Alex, a bit mad :)

13. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yep.

HDCP, weeee... more totalitarian digital police-state-ware. I honestly hope Apple never adopts it. All it does AFAIK is make it so you can't copy the video stream from the DVI/HDMI port. And if you're desperate enough to try that then HDCP is likely very easily defeatable at that very access point. And concerning BR, who would do this anyway when copying the BR disk is a total snap? Has there ever been a disk protection scheme that hasn't been immediately broken by just about anyone who was actually interested in doing so? There's already a box at my local shop that brings in DVI of several types, scans down to 4 different types (out) and has a HDCP on/off switch next to the pass-thru output port - It's $100.

Apple (Steve) is right on for not supporting such a scam-standard!

From Wiki:
    As HDCP was introduced as a content protection standard, many non-HDCP-compliant devices were rendered unable to display HDCP-protected content unless fitted with a device to circumvent HDCP content protection, often referred to as "HDCP strippers". These are devices that remove the HDCP information from the video signal, leaving the video playable on non-HDCP-compliant displays.

This protection technology actually sounds good to anyone here? Can you imagine, back in the early 80's Electronic Artists (EA) disk protection (floppy) becoming an FCC approved ISO type standard where every drive manufacturer had to pay to license it? Heh!

14. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

Blu-Ray is cool.

The diffrence between Blu-Ray and normal DVD is huge. The quality of the picture is so realstic and clean.When BluRay and HDDVD was realesed, I thought this can't be special until I saw a HD Trailer. It is brilliant , really. I love watching HD Blu Rays on my 24" HDCP Screen (with PS3).In my opinion, I do not like download HD movies and pay money for that, cause the price isn't fair , in the stores I know. I am also the type of man, who likes to insert the disc into the player and be the owner of a physical disc from a Audio CD or Movie I like. This says more to me than a downloaded file. So personally, I do not really care if the Mac Pro has a BluRay Drive or not, cause I hocked up a PS3 to the same Monitor and I can switch between the Inputs. But it would be a nice feature...

Has Blu-Ray a future?

I say yes.Why?
    Windows Laptops and PC's by Dell and other companys are becoming Blu-Ray drives standart. And the time will come in wich the programms and games are on BluRays and not on DVD's, cause every one has a BluRay drive and the programms are getting bigger and bigger ,too. For example, my Logic Studio Pack by Apple includes 8 DVD's .It would make much more sense on ONE blu-ray disc, not? What's against Blu-Ray disc? It is at the moment expensive, but when I think back, the DVD disc was it too ! The Blu-Ray player started with prices around 1000 Dollars, now you can buy one for 150 Dollars or something c.a 2 years later ! Same with the Blu-Ray disc, the price will fall more and more. If HDCP is good or not, I don't know.

Whats my point?
    The iTunes Store is a great thing for downloading HD movies, but Blu-Ray too.

15. grue macrumors 65816

Protip: Apple uses it in their iTunes stuff.

[​IMG]

16. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

Now THAT sucks !

17. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yup! It sure does! It demands retribution IMHO! And an uninstall of iTunes. :p

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This software must be implemented in the OS at a very low level, meaning if it borks something, it borks everything. Oh, and it's bloated.

Nope. It's there. Don't know where you'd get that idea.

19. grue macrumors 65816

So is OS X.

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

By that argument, so are Vista and Seven.

21. grue macrumors 65816

I don't recall saying they weren't.

22. ZunePod macrumors regular

The reason they would want to put BRD Drives in the Mac Pro would be to make more money, and make it more comparable to other products.

23. aponsin thread starter macrumors member

Well now if Itunes already has DRM in there... The graphical cards are HDCP compliant and that besides the apple displays that aren't HDCP compliant... everything else in OSX seems to be HDCP ready because iTunes uses it...

is ANY good - if at all - reason why we can't f.cking played BR on a MACOSX computer.... it totally does not make sense to me.

Alex

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

ALL OF THE HARDWARE IN ALL RECENT MACS IS BLU-RAY READY.

The OPERATING SYSTEM is the only thing that does not support it. You can play Blu-ray movies in Windows in Boot Camp.

25. aponsin thread starter macrumors member

Yes that's exactly the point I was trying to make. Is that the machine is physically capable of playing the BR disk...
    But - and this is new to me - if iTunes uses HDCP (as proven with the screen shot), well I guess it means that the OS is also "ready" somehow too manage that too...

So does is mean we are only lacking an actual software bluray player ?
    And even if the OS is still lacking some sort of upgrade to be able to do so, why that is? Everybody else seems to be having no issues launching BR players... on windows (XP, Vista, 7), on ps3, standalone player, etc...

I know that BR isn't yet that common and that the public has not yet really adopted the format... but that day will come. How will then Steve justify that playing BR on mac is just not possible ? I think he won't and mac will do as anybody else, they will support BR... so why wait ? I still don't see any good reason to that...

Alex