How accurate is screen auto turn on feature?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TonyC28, Mar 20, 2015.

1. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Has anyone had enough hands-on experience yet to speak as to how accurate the screen turning on is as far as wrist movement goes? I've been wondering if the watch will be constantly turning the screen on and off based on normal movement of my arm and if that will hurt the battery life. For example, I typically drive with my left hand on the steering wheel. Is that going to cause the watch screen to turn on?

2. kovey macrumors 6502a

Considering it hasn't been released, nobody here will be able to answer this question for several weeks.

3. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Yea I suppose that's true. I was hoping for a link to a review or something. Oh well. Just over a month to go!

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It was reportedly to be flaky on the pre-production models but Apple will fine-tune it (as they did with TouchID, etc.).

5. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

From what we saw in the models that demo'ed at the Spring Forward event, it looks particularly robust.

Of course, fifteen minutes of preview time in a controlled environment can skew those perceptions.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

A designer who road tested the watch claimed otherwise so that's what I'm basing my statement on. Kevin Lynch also looked particularly worried about this feature considering how slowly he raised his wrist at the original keynote.

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

As has been said, it's a wait and see.

I myself had an idea. You may all think it's rubbish, but I felt it had at least some merit.

Apple could/should have a set, let's say 4 to 6 user definable orientation/positions where the screen will come on. (perhaps as well as their own one/s?)

How I would imagine this could work is this:

We all can understand we are all different in the way we use things.
    I may want to lay on the bed watching TV, you may wish to lay on a lazyboy sofa, others may wish to sit in an upright dining chair.

Likewise I may be say upright at a desk at work, you may like to lay back.

We are all different.

So, you could get into the exact position you wish to be in. turn your wrist so you are looking at the watch, and press "Record position"

You could perhaps do this for, as I say half a dozen different positions.
    Sitting at your work desk, watching TV, Standing up, Laying on the bed etc.

Then, whenever the watch thinks it's near to a previously "user remembered" orientation. it could turn on the screen.

You could of course, edit and change these as you wish.

Perhaps this is a dumb idea, but felt it would avoid some issues, and as I say everyone is different.

8. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Seems a key point. If I have to raise my wrist in a particularly special way or shake it to see the screen, then I'm not going to be too happy.

But if my watch is turning itself on and off because the feature is too sensitive, I and others might find that distracting.

9. technosix macrumors 6502a

Apple being quite detail oriented probably has this feature working well.

A minor concern, that's only minor because I'm not buying, is how buggy the software is.

Initially I had zero interest but as release approaches if I hadn't lost trust in Apple I'd buy a SS model just for fun. Everything Apple I have, which is a lot, is truly excellent. BUT...my iPhone 6's!

So I'll continue to enjoy the discussions but wait. Money isn't the issue, the frustration of having an excessively buggy product from a company that I KNOW can do better simply isn't worth it.

I'd even say that if more people would use a wait and see approach Apple would _return_ to delivering the quality they used to. Note: I'm not expecting bug free software, all software no matter the platform is bound to have minor bugs. It's the big crashes, hanging or spinning indicators that should be sorted out.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

There is no doubt that the watch will be activated, sometimes, with wrist actions not intended to turn the watch display on. Not much you can do about it. It may be adjustable in the software.

My biggest question is battery life, especially when first released and everyone wants to play. No doubt there will be some here that will be dissapointed.:rolleyes:

11. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Does the display turn on from a raise in elevation that it detects from raising your arm, or is it a turning of your wrist?

12. troop231 macrumors 603

I believe it's a combination of both.

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

That's the point.

If you are standing up, and raise your wrist to look at the watch. The watch is in a totally different position and orientation than if you are laying back on a chair or even laying down in bed.

I will be interested how this will work, unless there is some learning/remembering aspect to it.

14. MDePew24 macrumors regular

MDePew24

Just wondering

I would love for this to automatically work and work well but for the sake of it not working well, can this screen auto on be turned off and only come on when you touch the display? I honestly wouldn't mind doing this to activate the screen outside of a notification.

I have seen several of the Samsung watches and it's funny how often the screen comes on when the user isn't wanting it to.

15. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Another question. Is there supposed to be a "tap to display time" option. So instead of raise of the arm, it's a tap with a finger on the display to turn it on.

16. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I know you can press in the Digital Crown to turn on the screen, but I'm not aware of tap display option.

17. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I did wonder, if something like this could be made to work by detecting if you made a fist and clenched.
    If you do this you can feel the tendons in your arm, under where the watch would be, move/flex/tighten.

It could be an interesting "manual" way to turn the screen on.

18. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

That's awfully circumstantial compared to watching people actually use it. ;)

It works in limited contexts quite well is still all I can say confidently, though. We'll have to wait and see when we're shipped!

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

True. It'll be moot anyway because they'll have improved its function by then (and will probably improve even further once they're in our hands, as was the case with TouchID). We can only say what we know from pre-production models at this point.

20. Pluribus macrumors newbie

I'm guessing it will recalibrate itself automatically like the iPhone does when you change sitting or reclining positions. You'll notice that the iPhone will calibrate itself to compensate for the angle it's at when you wake it. It will also slowly readjust itself if you leave it in a different angle for an extended period. I'd expect the watch to do the same.

21. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

Yes. That's on all the time actually, I believe.

22. Nathan20 macrumors regular

Would be huge if that is the case

23. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Wait for 8.3

24. technosix macrumors 6502a

I am waiting, as horrible as my iOS 8 experience has been I do realize it's a new Era at Apple. So full of themselves, success and money has caused hyper inflated egos and most likely a feeling they can get away with nearly anything.

Apple has such a massive army of excuse makers living with marginal performance a host of bugs, yet a very shiny Apple logo, the execs are laughing all the way to the bank.

When and if Apple returns to their prior level of excellence, I'll once again be able to resume recommending their products. I am looking forward to the kind of quality and excellence Apple is perfectly capable of. We're certainly paying for it.

25. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

So go and never look back! It's a technology company not a cheating wife! You are acting like a scorned partner, jilted and bitter.