How am i using so much RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sir SpemzR, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Sir SpemzR macrumors 6502

i know i only have 1gb of RAM (Version 1 Black Macbook) but how am i using
    so much of it with only Safari 4 running?

Heres a screen shot of my geektool script showing how much i use

[​IMG]

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

OSX generally gives as much RAM is necessary for the open applications. As more apps are opened it rations it differently. There could also be a number of background processes running that are taking up memory. I can't view your image to see any of the processes (my work likely has it blocked).

3. Sir SpemzR thread starter macrumors 6502

it doesnt show any it just says USED:952M FREE:72M

should i post a screen show of my activity monitor?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I would recommend updating to 2GB of RAM. I can read the image, and I think its because Safari 4 was programmed to consume memory with the fact in mind that many OS X users now have 2GB of RAM minimum.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Go into Activity Monitor and look at Inactive RAM usage and see if that's a higher number.

Inactive RAM is RAM that is essentially free. An application was using it, is no longer using it, but whatever was written in that memory wasn't erased to save time, so it's not really free as in empty, but it's not being used either, and OSX will assign inactive RAM to another application if needed and that application will overwrite the contents of that RAM with it's data....so it's free but it doesn't count as free.

6. Sir SpemzR thread starter macrumors 6502

yea i plan on ordering 2gb RAM sometime this week.

and yea it has a bigger number for Inactive RAM :eek:
    thanks guys.

One more thing how can i control my fan speed? or atleast make it a bit faster
    my comp gets really hot, not exactly how hot, cuz i cant get the geektool script to work.

7. aphan macrumors member

There are several programs for controlling your fans. You can try looking the threads up. Also, not that it's any relevant to the post but I'm from Fontana too! :)

8. Sir SpemzR thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweet! around wat part? im not exactly fontana though im bloomington but on the borderline, i live by the Kaiser Permanente but just moved here, used to live by the Auto Club Speedway for 17 years