Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Having nothing but rows of icons on your home screen made sense when the original iPhone came out because the power just wasn't there. Phones these days are desktop class machines of yesteryear and Apple needs to get you more functionality out of the home screen. People multitask and having to go to the home screen every time I want to do something else is getting very bothersome.

The only reason I still have an iPhone is that my jailbreak gets me the functionality I want (and allows me to stick with the wonderful ecosystem). Apps like BiteSMS, activator, flipcontrolcenter, springtomize are the only reason I'm still using an iPhone!

The reason the home screen is a row of apps is because Apple's focus has NEVER been the home screen.

It's all about the apps.

Actually, now that I think about it - my "desktop" is a big grid of "apps" and folders. So what exactly does being "desktop class" have to do with some additional "functionality" on the home screen.

Its a portal, a screen you aren't meant to be on long. Because all the work is done inside the apps. They are the stars in iOS - which is why app quality has always been better on iOS (though the gap has closed). Apple focuses on letting the OS retreat so the user can focus on the apps. Android tries to do everything in the OS, while the apps are secondary.

You like the way Android works, go buy Android.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Given Apple's past reluctance to blur or break existing apps, it seems that this resolution choice could provide Apple and developers a reasonable upgrade path for a larger factor iPhone. Apple has acknowledged that customers want larger iPhones and all iPhone 6 rumors are pointing to a larger iPhone device this year.

Oh come on, there's no reason to keep legacy frameworks for outdated apps on the iPhone! If people want the ability to run legacy apps, they should switch to Windows.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
So you want existing resolution stretched out to 4.7" or even 5.5"?

Top kek m8 thats horrible.

Just horrible as an Apple phablet. That's a mistake if it ever is made. So many Apple phablet rumours these days. We have 2 options:

1. The rumours are all wrong. No harm done.
2. Apple will make the mistake of making an Apple phablet.

If No.2 happens I will be upset. I want to buy an iPhone 6 maybe. But if Apple only releases the iPhablet 6 then I'll be forced to buy old tech or stick with my iPhone 1.

And making both an iPhone 6 and an iPhablet 6 is a no go as well. Apple already have enough SKUs. Too many is what ****ed Apple up in the 90s. No going and repeating that all over again.

Apple is on the cusp of me not buying the iPhablet 6 (or any iPhones anymore). Even though I do like the iPhone line, I don't want to buy a phablet.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I wonder what the media and the "Apple is doomed" crowd will say about the screen not being "at least 1080p"

Personally I will be happy with 1134x750

Time will tell

No it will be worse than that, as it will still have to scale 720P content down as 720P content is 1280 pixels wide. In reality you will not be able to tell a difference, but my first question is who watches 1080P bluray rips on your phone in the first place.

The main thing that will suck about the letterboxing is the keyboard, as it will be inset. On the iPad it seems to cut of touches along the edge of the display which makes it even worse as you end up missing the space bar half the time.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
It's pretty easy to see what Apple would ask developers to do with a 4.7" iPhone, and at this point, the hints about Auto Layout are too strong to ignore (and I expect WWDC to drop even more). However for a potential 5.5" phone, that doesn't work very well anymore, as current apps would look stretched at that size.

Which brings me to the following conclusion: in order for a 5.5" device to work well while retaining pixel-perfect graphics, apps are going to have to create a specific UI meant for it. :(

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
From the current resolution? That would be 2268 x 1280, and on a 4.7” display would result in a ~554 PPI. I believe that would be severe overkill, from sourcing that resolution display, to the GPU, power overhead required to drive that kind of display.

I believe the only developer friendly move Apple might make is to retain the current PPI to reduce the number of assets required - that would also help to control package sizes as well.

It wouldn't be overkill at all because it would allow for all apps to scale and work instantly with no work required by the developer. The current A7 could handle that resolution just fine because the iPad still has a higher res. And since with iOS7 apps are encouraged to generate items package sizes shouldn't change a lot for a good amount of apps.

The only developer friendly way is to simply double the pixels. Any other way would require apps to be re thought.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Just horrible as an Apple phablet. That's a mistake if it ever is made. So many Apple phablet rumours these days. We have 2 options:

If No.2 happens I will be upset. I want to buy an iPhone 6 maybe. But if Apple only releases the iPhablet 6 then I'll be forced to buy old tech or stick with my iPhone 1.

And making both an iPhone 6 and an iPhablet 6 is a no go as well. Apple already have enough SKUs. Too many is what ****ed Apple up in the 90s. No going and repeating that all over again.

Apple is on the cusp of me not buying the iPhablet 6 (or any iPhones anymore). Even though I do like the iPhone line, I don't want to buy a phablet.

4.7 isnt much bigger if done right tbh. 5.5 however no thank u

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
No it will be worse than that, as it will still have to scale 720P content down as 720P content is 1280 pixels wide. In reality you will not be able to tell a difference, but my first question is who watches 1080P bluray rips on your phone in the first place.

The main thing that will suck about the letterboxing is the keyboard, as it will be inset. On the iPad it seems to cut of touches along the edge of the display which makes it even worse as you end up missing the space bar half the time.

Dunno where 1134 came from, I reckon he meant 1334 (as mentioned in the article). This is bigger than 1280, so would accommodate 720p

qrayg

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
Earth
but Apple and all the fan boys said 3.5" is the perfect size :D

It is for me. Whenever I have to go back to using my wife's iPhone 4 I just love it. It fits in my pocket. It's super easy to use because I don't have to do some crazy thumb stretch just to tap a button.

3.5" is the perfect size screen. There is no reason to make a bigger screen. The "bigger is better" crowd is ruining UX time and time again.

VaeVictis

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
Am I the only who hates the bigger phones? :mad:

In the past the whole point was to make a smaller and smaller phone, I still remember Nokia 8800.

Now there is an insane idea, that a phone must as big as possible!?

My fingers didnt grove in the last years.

If you need a bigger display, buy iPad Mini!

The only way I could live with a bigger phone, is that the phone would be the size of iPhone 5/5s, but the screen would be from edge to edge.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX

In the past the whole point was to make a smaller and smaller phone, I still remember Nokia 8800.

The only way I could live with a bigger phone, is that the phone would be the size of iPhone 5/5s, but the screen would be from edge to edge.

This is why one of Apple's biggest problem is lack of options. Not everyone wants the same size.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

You're in for a disappointment then.

The resolution dilemma is almost more interesting than the screen size dilemma.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
My hope would be similar resolution to my iPhone 5 with room for an additional row/column of icons.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007

More and more people are using there phone as there primary and only device so having a bigger screen makes a difference when its your only device.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
but Apple and all the fan boys said 3.5" is the perfect size :D
No one size is perfect for everyone. But given a choice, I'd pick 3.5 over 4.7. Assuming of course there is a similar relative difference in total device size. Just my preference; not right or wrong. I have an iPad for when I need more size.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009

Whatever dude nice rant but 4,7 is not a phablet especially if they make a clever design not even close.

Try again.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
It wouldn't be overkill at all because it would allow for all apps to scale and work instantly with no work required by the developer. The current A7 could handle that resolution just fine because the iPad still has a higher res. And since with iOS7 apps are encouraged to generate items package sizes shouldn't change a lot for a good amount of apps.

The only developer friendly way is to simply double the pixels. Any other way would require apps to be re thought.

It's certainly overkill on battery. We're talking about 2,903,040 pixels vs the current 725,760. The screen on 1080p phones (2,073,600 pixels) like the nexus 5 is already a major battery killer. going above that is insane right now. Not to mention unnecessary on a 4.7" screen.

Also I don't understand how doubling it makes it simple, when the screen size is not doubling with it. If the scaling is the same then you get smaller icons. If you double the scaling to match the doubling of pixels, everything is bigger and there is no extra space. Unless I'm thinking about this wrong.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
It is for me. Whenever I have to go back to using my wife's iPhone 4 I just love it. It fits in my pocket. It's super easy to use because I don't have to do some crazy thumb stretch just to tap a button.

3.5" is the perfect size screen. There is no reason to make a bigger screen. The "bigger is better" crowd is ruining UX time and time again.

How tight are your pants and how small are your hands? I have medium-sized hands and holding the iPhone 5 at the bottom I can still reach the top of the screen with my thumb.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Also I don't understand how doubling it makes it simple, when the screen size is not doubling with it. If the scaling is the same then you get smaller icons. If you double the scaling to match the doubling of pixels, everything is bigger and there is no extra space. Unless I'm thinking about this wrong.

You definitely are. By your logic, the retina display of the iPhone 4 and Retina Display Macbook Pro would have destroyed all existing apps.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
And how is Touch ID suppose to work?

I hope that Apple finds a way to make it work, otherwise the iPhone will be larger that smartphones with similar screen sizes due to the required home button space.

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Two issues with this.

1. Yes, the iPad/A7 can handle a screen at this size, but the iPad has something the iPhone won't, namely, a giant battery. iPads have the capacity to handle the increased GPU load. Also, that high of a pixel density is going to need a pretty strong backlight, further taxing the battery

2. Since when has Apple prioritized devs over both themselves and end users. If Apple can get cheaper screens that give users great battery life (since there's now going to be a lot more room for a bigger battery), why would they not do that just so they can help out developers? Devs are going to update no matter what, just like they did for every other screen change.

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Dunno where 1134 came from, I reckon he meant 1334 (as mentioned in the article). This is bigger than 1280, so would accommodate 720p

That my bad man :) wasn't sure which is the "right" resolution to reference as the article seems to mention 1334x750 in the beginning and 1134x750 in the middle

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.