How are Acer monitors?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adamvk, Mar 2, 2010.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I am looking to buy a new monitor for my Macbook Pro, and I want it to be at least 24". I am looking at the Acer B273HU, I'm wondering what the general feel is on Acer monitors, and if people have recommendations/suggestions for me. I used to have a 24" Acer monitor, but that was before I started doing Photoshop, Web design, video editing etc, so I didn't really notice how good the quality was.

The Acer B273HU I'm looking at is a TN 27", with a resolution of 2048 x 1152. It has a 40,000:1 Dynamic Contrast, and is 16:9. It also has a 4 USB port hub, and 16.7 million colors. (How many does the first gen unibody Macbook Pro have?) I think the specs sound pretty good to me for the price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...73HU_bmidhz_27_Widescreen.html#specifications

Thanks

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I love mine. It's a 21.5'' 1080p Acer monitor. I normally don't trust Acer (Compaq..etc) but their monitors are fantastic. I only trust their monitors though - not anything else they sell. lol

I also have a Dell monitor (I forgot the model) but it's 24'' 1080p and I bought it a year ago.

They are both very nice. I would get what ever you can get a better deal on.

4. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ya, that's kind of my thinking.

5. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Or what about HP? Their 27" monitor looks pretty nice.

6. theTechnician macrumors member

I'd also consider a Samsung monitor... I just bought a 19" (too small for you, i know...) Samsung SyncMaster 953BW refurbished on amazon for 100 bucks, and I hook it up to my uMBP, it's great. I'm considering buying another one and wall mounting them, just for the cool factor... even though I can only run one off of my MBP.

Anyways, check out Samsung. You can find great deals on monitors on Amazon.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes but careful, some models were prone to tearing.

8. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ya, they do make nice monitors. I don't like how they look though. They just look too "round" for me. It may be a silly thing, but I like things to look nice.

Ok. Thanks for the heads up.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

This is how my monitor looks.

[​IMG]

This is the only model from Acer I like. Every other monitor they sell.. I wouldn't even touch it :cool:

10. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

There are a few decent ACER's but not enough. I hate to plug Dell but their displays are consistently highly ranked. They're hard to beat. I've had the opportunity to use them more than a few times. They are worth it. Look for coupons and you can get some pretty good deals on them.

11. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

never had an acer but im extremely pleased with my Dell. from what i have heard dells are amazing

12. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

13. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

There are only a handful of companies in the world that actually make the LCD panels, so the Acer may likely have the same panel as a Dell or Apple. Try some googling to find out who the LCD supplier is and then make your decision.

14. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

You do speak the truth, but please don't make the mistake of thinking that the main manufactures do not have different levels of quality. Just because Dell and Acer bought their screens from the same OEM does not mean they bought the same quality panels.

15. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

For Photoshop and other uses where tonal uniformity is important, you don't want a TN monitor. Get an IPS monitor, even if you have to settle for a smaller size because of the cost.

16. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk