How are people getting on with the keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skeen, Nov 29, 2007.

1. skeen macrumors 6502

Had the iPhone for coming up to a week now, and am still missing characters here and there on the keyboard. It does a good job of correcting my spelling errors - but plenty of times I want to type something specifically, and the fumble destroys any typing flow.

I was a pro on my BlackBerry, and interestingly, the iPhone keys look much bigger than those of my BlackBerry - perhaps this is just psychological? I'd like to hear from people who have had the iPhone for quite some time now - how are you getting on with the keyboard?

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Better and better. I have large fingers, too, so it's quite a challenge.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'm very comfortable with it...took me a few hours though...

5. calculus Guest

calculus

Me too. The spelling correction works quite well when I trust it.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Maybe I've got nimble fingers but I have gotten used to it very quickly… :) Have progressed to the two thumbs stage already.

7. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

I think for me it may just be an issue of getting used to the spacing. I could type with two thumbs lightening speed on my BlackBerry - I know where all the keys are, I'm a touch-typer - my brain may just still be in BlackBerry Mode.

8. tonywob, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  9. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I used to have a PDA so was used to typing on screen.the iPhone keyboard Is miles bigger than that so I'm loving it.and the landscape keyboard on the browser is brilliant!

Only trouble I find typing is when I'm walking put an about.

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i've had mine for five months now (to the day!), and the keyboard is almost perfect. i love the error correction, and i love that you can enter key presses with the slightest touch, helping me type fast on my phone. what also helps is that i never moved from a phone with a qwerty keypad, so i think i was able to adapt to the onscreen keyboard better. it's funny, because i have a really hard time with texting on other people's qwerty phones.

11. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Had mine a month now and I like the keyboard a lot.

I can type very fast with it and I trust the auto-correction but I'm still only typing with my right index finger, not progressed to two thumbs yet and I'm an ex-Blackberry user.

12. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

i can manage to type out a text with one hand now :) but 9 times out of 10 the stupid predictive correcting thing always puts words in that i dont want which can be :mad: but all in all its pretty awesome. alot faster than the old way of texting, i like using a full keypad

13. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I really enjoy the flexibility of the virtual keyboard. Maybe I'm brainwashed, but it's true, "if you don't need it's not there" and I love it.

Have the phone for two weeks now and I'm as confident as I was after a couple days.

EDIT: much quicker typing, it's great

14. brownieguy19 macrumors regular

I've had it since June 29, and I have loved it ever since. I used to have a Treo 700p and was fluent with the thumb typing, and it didn't take long to match the skill on the iphone. I can now even type on it while driving and still make little if no mistakes.

15. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Hope you're not in my area! :eek:

16. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Well I find it quite easy but my main problem is that i rite my SMS both in French and in English so it's a bit tricky for me with the dictionary

17. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

BTW any tricks or tips for using two different language? ight ow i'm like adding my own word to the dictionary but imagine that i suddely have to reset the phone, I believe the dictionary will be reset as well...

18. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Very comfortable with it. Smallish fingers, but still, my friends with bigger fingers use it fine. It does take some getting used to though.

19. memesmith macrumors regular

I love the keyboard. I have never used a phone with micro qwerty keyboard so I don't know but I think I would have been pretty crap with that. I was always useless at texting on phone keypads (hell, I'm almost 41 do I guess it might be a generation thing. The only portable keyboard I've had that was better was my old Psion 5. But that wssvrhe king of micro keyboards. What I love about the iPhone I'd the auto correct. Its so good hardly ever predicts the wrong word, so I've become very zen about it and have learned to just "use the force" and let it flow. Just as an experiment I'm going to just send this post without checking it to see just hoe trustworthy the auto correct is ...

Edit: that is not bad, just a couple of wrong words and some missed punctuation. Actually one of the things I don't like us I often hit p instead of the backspace. That may be one reason why I just use the force rather than try to edit as I write ...

20. calculus Guest

calculus

Is that typing mistakes or driving mistakes ...

21. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I don't have to look at my iPhone keyboard while typing, just the screen :)

I make an error here and there, but that is about it.

22. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Keyboard works very well (I played with a Touch for a while to try it out before deciding on the iPhone). Within three days I was typing faster and more accurately than any of my friends could on their phones - so we collectively gave the virtual keyboard the thumbs up.

The trick is to "trust" the iPhone :D. If you stop to think - that is when you start to make mistakes.

One of my friends is being supplied with a new phone by his company - one of the new so-called "iPhone killers". We're looking forwards to doing a side-by-side comparison once he gets it.

23. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

My and my friend who had a sidekick that he types his papers on, anyways i challenged him saying the iPhone keyboard is better, so we found a random sentence that had some lengthy words in it, and gave it a shot.

he won because i misread the word and typed it wrong. im a disgrace

any other phone though it owns.

24. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

25. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I love the auto-correction, but what does annoy me is words like "love" and "live", "does"/"dies" where they're both proper words, but the letters are very close, so you do still have to be accurate. I love the responsiveness usually, and like the way it auto-capitalises (arrogantly!) "iPhone" and 'iLife" etc., and also acronyms like "BTW" and even swear words! Very liberal, Apple.

Also, in Safari etc. where the keyboard seems to type slower (particularly in Meebo etc., or when a page is still loading), it's annoying as the correction doesn't keep up very well.

I'm fairly fast on it, but do have to back-step a bit and watch the keyboard, mainly for my first reason. This is now my 2nd iPhone after having a US one for a couple of months, so I think I'm about as fast as I'll get with it. I don't love it as it's not perfect for me, but it's very very good :)