How are planning on protecting the stainless steel edge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Is there anything you guys are using to protect the edges besides a case? I know the ss will end up scratched like the Apple Watch.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The only thing I can recommend is a case that has a microfiber lining surrounding the bands. That's likely one of your only options to keep it protected from scratches.

4. eneisch macrumors 6502a

You can periodically use Cape Cod cloths to polish the stainless. I use them on my Apple Watch SS and they work great and keep it looking like new. Not sure this would work with Space Grey though. That’s actually one of the reasons I went with the silver this year.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I wouldn't recommend using a Cape Cod cloth on the space gray stainless bands, mainly because of the PVD coating and I don't know if that would be something I would try.

6. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Yep, and they are on sale on amazon

7. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Hmmm my aw does need some polishing lemme look into this cape cod thanks

8. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Cape cod cloths are great on my ss Rolex but I wouldn’t use them on my phone for fear of removing the space grey.

I just put my phone in a clear Spigen case hoping this will do the job whilst allowing me to see the colour I chose.

Attached Files:

9. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I honestly think keeping it naked (assuming you look after your phones) would be the best option for reducing scratches. Any case (even with a micro fibre lining) will scratch the stainless steel band if anything get inside.

10. Diorama macrumors 6502a

So you’re not even going to put your phone in your pocket?

11. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Yes, I am. It will be in a shocksock pouch (search them on amazon). However, it will be in this pouch a lot less than the 24/7 it would be in a case. I’m not saying it’s not going to scratch this way, but it will probably be less likely than in a case that’s pressing up against the band (which the pouch does not do).

12. Diorama macrumors 6502a

Fair enough.
    I know two people with Jet Black 7s, one kept in a cheap case from a street vendor and one in the Apple leather case. The cheap case one got microscratched to hell, the other was still beautiful.

13. Prozak0820 macrumors 6502

Prozak0820

I’m going to use a clear gloss Slickwraps skin for mine. So I can still not use a case and protect the stainless steel and glass

14. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Great product, used them for other things. I'd assume they'd work terrific on the silver model, with the polished, "raw" stainless (like I have), but like @Relentless Power and a few other said, coated/treated SS, I'd probably avoid.

15. Diorama macrumors 6502a

How would the glass/oleophobic coating deal with the Cape Cod? Would it be worth using masking tape to mask off the glass from the SS band?

16. solo118 macrumors 65816

I would say keep the cape cod away from anything that is not SS. I can agree with you on taping it off :)

17. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Use a case - and if you have AC+ why worry, it will polish out with a cape cod cloth etc.

I actually thought the space grey had polished SS, sadly it's not so I think I will return and maybe get the silver unit

18. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Do you have the black SS watch?

My black SS doesn’t show scratches. I’ve had it since February, never used a case, and it looks brand new. I haven’t put it under a microscope or looked at it closely under bright sunlight...

My first gen SS watch did show scratches very much, though.

19. Treyhunna macrumors regular

Treyhunna

Who cares if it scratches Thaz the next owners problem

20. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Regular SS

21. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

I ordered a cape cod last week from amazon.
    I do not plan on having a case at all on the silver X.
    I haven't had cases on my phones since my 3g. 4 and up where all case less.

The X just feels buttery smooth in my hand without anything on it. Haven't had this kind of feel before in a phone its hard to describe. Feels soft(not sure if thats the right word) and premium. The stainless and the glass just feel way different than any other materials ive had.

22. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I’ve always had cases with my phones. I don’t want that risk lol

23. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

I’m not, im pretty sure it’s robust enough to last a year. But if you want something to protect it and keep the looks of the device, keep an eye out for skins. I use those on my iPad Pro (mainly because the wife uses it and she’s less careful.)

They won’t protect against big drops obviously but they’re good for protecting against bumps and scrapes.

24. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Black Apple leather case, same as last several phones.

25. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

My hand.

Don’t use cases. Never had an issue either. My devices always look good when I find them a new home.