How are SE users feeling about 7/7+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Sep 9, 2016.

1. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why would they consider it if they were willing to downsize from the 6/6+ series?

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I very much doubt many will be as the major pull of the SE is its physical size. The iPhone 7 or 7 Plus can't really compete with that for obvious reasons.

3. JayDH macrumors 6502

I went from the 6S+ to the SE and love the smaller size. The Jet Black looks amazing and along with the camera upgrade, I decided to go for the iPhone 7!

4. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I originally had the 6s Plus, then went to the SE, now converting back to the iPhone 7, 4.7 in Silver. The Jet black looks sharp, but not interested in the scratches or scrapes, and no, I don't want a case for it.

5. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

I had silver 6, went SG SE, now matte 7 plus.

6. steemax macrumors regular

steemax

I went from a 6 plus to an SE and now I've ordered a 7. I feel the 7 is a happy median.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Went from a 6 to an SE. I like the look a lot better, it feels significantly better and can use it one-handed. I actually got it a couple weeks ago (knowing the 7). I can't part with a headphone jack for now and I don't care for the design of the 7. Though, I'm jealous of the iPhone 7 Plus' camera.

8. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

Getting a SE in the next two months :D. Best design ever (IMO) with awesome performance. iphone 7 hype is for those who want every year a new iphone or for those who want a big upgrade ( from a 4s to an iphone 7 = huge leap)...ooor for those who want every new feature available ( like new home button, 3D touch etc.). But for me, Iphone SE fits the beeeest.
    Big performance for a small phone
    Decent camera altough I am am not using camera that much
    That design <3
    The price (decent for an Apple device)
    And many other advantages :).

9. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

Went from a 6 to an SE last week (got a $50 refund from Apple today because they dropped the price since I bought it) and honestly, there is a minor itch to upgrade just like there is every year, but in two weeks, it will subside like it always does. Plus, I'm dying for a new Mac at this point waiting for Apple to rev the line and really can't justify buying two phones when my main computer is getting super long in the tooth

10. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I'm going from a 6s+ to an SE, I was hoping it would get a spec bump but for the price and what I'll get for the 6s+ (probably almost break even) I'll be good for another year.

After two years of + phones I can't do it anymore, nothing to me has ever felt as good as the 5/5s in my hand. The only *irk* I have is the camera but hopefully that's bumped in a year.

11. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Not interested at all. The Jet Black is pretty sexy, but other than that, I'm not into a larger phone, and the only reason I see to upgrade compared to what I have now would be for the camera in the Plus, and I'm absolutely not interested in a phone that size.

At this point I'm content to hold out until next September to see if Apple offers a new 4" phone. If they offered a premium upgrade in April again next year, I'd possibly upgrade if the design were similar to the 7. The rumor of the all glass 2017 iPhone does nothing for me, so no need really to wait until September if there's something I like next April.

But realistically, I'm not sure what they could add to the SE that would make it worthwhile that would fit inside the case, considering the stink they made about interior space being a reason to eliminate the headphone jack. So any 4" upgrades are not likely to take advantage of all the 7 has to offer anyway.

But the removal of the headphone jack is reason enough not to upgrade for at least 6 months to wait for the market to catch up to Apple. Sadly Apple botched the headphone jack removal completely, without enough solutions in place to address several common headphone jack use cases. So until Apple gets this sorted out, I'd rather not own a phone in which I find out only after I have it that I can't do things I was able to do before.

12. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Same way in jet black :D

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

SE owner who know what they want wouldn't do anything. And then there are those who collect every model available.

14. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

4S owner here. Just decided to get an SE after looking at the 7. Too big. Nice product though. When the dual camera module reaches the 4.7" form factor, there could be incentive to go bigger.

15. RansZ28 macrumors regular

RansZ28

Trading in my kids SE for a free 7 from VZW. SCORE!!!

16. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I waited for the announcement this week, just in case there was a surprise, and then bought an SE yesterday.

17. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

I actually feel the same way. Beyond the Jet Black, the duel care is the only thing that somewhat appeals to me and since its on the Plus, it's certainly not making me jump to whip out my credit card.

If Apple put out a refreshed 4 inch model in the first half of next year, I wouldn't be opposed to upgrading to that but today, I'm certainly happy with my purchase. That said, there's still a bunch they could add to the SE, such as a better display with the Duel Domain Pixels (it actually makes an appreciable difference) a Polarizer (so the display doesn't have wonky colors when viewed through a pair of polarized sunglasses) and the sturdier glass on the 6s. I'm a sucker for better display technology and the fact that I left a lot on the table from my old 6 to jump to an SE should say a lot about how much I love the 4 inch form factor.

18. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Yes, I would like the same display area as the 6/6s/7, if not pixel count. I find that typing, especially in landscape is too restricted by what I can see. Not sure if Apple will do that, but it would be really helpful.

19. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

If the 5se were "wider" with the 7+ camera is switch lol.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

When Apple ditches the home button next year, they'll be able to make the next form factors smaller (i.e., the replacement for 4.7" will likely have the roughly the footprint of current 4" iPhone and the replacement for 5.5" will approximate the footprint of current 4.7" iPhone).

21. g35 macrumors 6502a

22. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I'm planning on hanging on to my SE for a while to come. I still quite like the form factor, and it is still a blazingly fast phone.

23. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

I just got my new 64GB SE in yesterday, upgraded from a 32GB 5S.

The biggest factor was cost. I can't afford to be buying unlocked phones direct from Apple, and here in Canada between the low CDN$ and the unsubsidized carrier phone pricing options the up-front cost of even upgrading to a 6S (with anything above 16GB) was too high for my liking. The iPhone 7 is costing even more so either of those were out my my price range. I wasn't interested in an iPhone 6 because I plan on keeping a phone for another three years and a phone only one generation newer than my 5S would have been pushing it.

The second factor was design. I do like the 4.7" screen size, it's a perfect size in my opinion, but the design of the 6 series in general doesn't appeal to me and the phones almost feel too flimsy and not pocket friendly. I work in an industrial environment so I wasn't really comfortable carrying around a big wafer thin device in my pocket. The 5/5S/SE design is not bulky but not flimsy at the same time, is a perfect middle ground, and the overall form factor is a good enough size that it can move around in my pocket and doesn't feel like I'm straining it every time I sit down.

I was able to get an SE with twice the storage and RAM of my old phone, with the excellent A9, Apple Pay NFC, and much better battery life for an up-front cost I could afford. To go up to a 64GB 6S would have cost $300 extra.

The value you get from an SE is very hard to beat, if you can live with the screen size. And frankly I'm very surprised Apple priced the phone as low as it did. I think they left about $100 on the table on this one.

24. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Just got the SE a few months ago. Use the headphone jack often.. Camera works well for me. So no need to get a new phone for a while. Probably two years.