how are the alum MBs holding up?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wannabe07, Feb 3, 2009.

1. wannabe07 macrumors member

I remember a lot of complaints about the old MBPs having problems with the aluminum denting and I was wondering if people are having the same problems with the new aluminum MBs. How are they holding up overall? Are people mostly happy with them, particularly compared to the previous models?

Thanks!

2. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

The new ones will dent just as easy, just have to be careful and don't use it like a hockey puck and you should be fine.:D Have not had any problems with mine, love it

3. yamaha106 macrumors member

Haven't had a single problem with mine, i love it!

4. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

Mine is holding up just fine. My last notebook was an iBook and so in comparison to the polycarbonate, the aluminum feels super sturdy.

5. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Mine's holding up great! This is definitely the sturdiest notebook I have ever used.

6. air-ick macrumors member

air-ick

I haven't had any problems with denting - not that i throw it around - but it does have a few scratches.

Eric

7. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Mine feels really strong as well, I had an old 12" Powerbook G4 and I had to bend the frame sometimes to get it to sit flat on a table. No such problems here now, even the screen feels sturdy.

8. countrykid333 macrumors member

mines doing surprisingly well. i would say its holding up better than my blackbook. there are some small scratches on the bottom, but it obviously doesn't effect performance and i don't i really see the bottom that much.
    if your are on the fence because you are worried about it scratching I wouldn't worry about it. Go out and buy yourself an awesome computer; you'll be happy you did.

9. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Mines holding up very good. I don't treat it rough, but it does get moved around a lot.

10. Jeff42037 macrumors regular

11. wannabe07 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, all of you. There's a good chance that my mom is going to buy my old MB and I will use the money to get a new one, but I like knowing everything about a possible purchase before I actually make it. :)

I'm really glad to hear that the new frames have improved the sturdiness and stability of the computers. I've been very happy with my white MB, but it has had its share of problems, including cracking and discoloration, despite all my attempts to treat it as kindly as possible. Oh well, I guess it is meant to be used after all, right? ;)

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

When you sell it to your mom, don't bother mentioning the cracks and discoloration if you expect to get enough cash out of her to get the new one. ;)

13. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Mine still looks unblemished and is the most sturdy machine I've ever owned. I don't even use a case or protector with it and just carry it under my arm sometimes. As long as you don't drop it or hit it with anything it's quite durable.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Aluminium dents, and plastic cracks. The aluminium doesn't really dent unless you hit it, so yes, any aluminium laptop will dent if it's hit hard enough, but then again, hit any plastic laptop hard enough and it'll crack.

15. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

This thing is a hoss. I've had no problems at all with mine. My wife dropped the MB off the bedside table last week which was pretty high up. Anyhow there were no dents or even a scratch. Everything is still functioning perfectly. You will have mo regrets about this purchase. I use it at least 8 hours a day, work and home. If I had to chose between my wife or my mac, it would be goodbye Rachel!

16. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Got a 2.4 MB and I love it, mine looks brand new still, I always keep my MB in an AppleSac at night.

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Relatively speaking, if we're talking about the cosmetically mediocre and poorly engineered plastic on the Macbook vs the cosmetically superior and poorly engineered aluminium on the new Macbook, the aluminium may have the edge. With a regular plastic notebook from another tier 1 vendor - it's more likely to be a 'no contest' in favour of plastic in terms of strength. The aluMac does have the edge however, being a lot more 'precious' - as with the previous MBP's, PB's etc many people are more likely to baby the alu machines more.

If I'm not mistaken though the new Macbooks (along with the UB MBP) would be made of alloy that's a little weaker in terms of comparison of an equal volume than the aluminium used in the previous PB/MBP "skin" so it'd be interesting to see what regular everyday wear does to it over time, especially given some people's problems with the original Powerbook's wrist area, etc.

18. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Watch the watch band

I head some people were scratching the wrist wrest with watch bands. So, I always push my watch up to avoid this, or wear a long shirt or remove the watch.

19. wannabe07 thread starter macrumors member

20. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Best thing i've read all day lol

21. budkid macrumors regular

Mine still looks brand new. The keyboard looks greasy sometimes.

22. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

My MacBook alu is by and large the most sturdy notebook I have ever owned, bar none. When shot its like a little safe, zero flex.

23. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Mine is doing great both externally and internally. No problems at all.

24. Moriarty macrumors 6502

You'd better hope the old sheila doesn't read this site...

25. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

bwahaha:D