How are you finding raise to talk to Siri without "Hey Siri"

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Ergates-thi-Ant, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

I'm undecided right now. I like using Siri on my watch, and I use it quite a lot. I've been unintentionally addressing Siri far too often with the new raise to talk to Siri though.

2. Musashi3052 macrumors newbie

I've been having trouble getting it to work consistently. Is there some trick to get it to work all the time?

3. menace3 macrumors 6502a

menace3

I've been doing well with it:

open the podcast app
    let's go for a run
    what's the weather forecast for the week
    tell me a joke

are some of the things I have asked of siri and it's fine. I also notice it's also learned behavior. Like if I say go for a ru, the Nike app opens instead of apple workouts, that is true of my behavior. Others I have to be specific, like let's for for an outdoor walk...or indoor walk...

4. Nozuka macrumors 68020

works very well for me. i just hold it to my mouth and start talking.

5. Akrapovic macrumors 6502

Akrapovic

Had to turn it off. Not only was I causing false activation, other people were too. At my work we have a lot of voices in the room and a lot of radio coms going and I found even radios will set it off.

6. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

It’s grange and doesn’t work. I turned it off.

7. Rangers94 macrumors 6502

Rangers94

Very hit or miss for me. Much easier to say “hey Siri” or hold down crown. Hopefully Apple addresses it in a software update.

8. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

I thought it had completely stopped working today until I managed to actually make it work....for me it’s been incredible inconsistent

9. Sir Ruben macrumors 68000

Sir Ruben

Kept picking up conversations and trying to answer them loudly to the surprise of everyone around me. Turned it off.

10. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

For me, it's works fine most of the time, but when I'm in the car, it's been really hit-and-miss. The movement is probably not the same with sitting and having the steering wheel in front of you.

11. Slim Boy Fat macrumors member

Tried it for the first time today to start a countdown timer when I was cooking and it worked flawlessly.

12. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

I think it’s really awesome. When it works. I used it to change a playlist while I was driving and it was awesome. Then it wouldn’t work again after that. But it would work if I began it with “hey Siri” pretty consistently.

13. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

I find that no matter what I still need to say Hey Siri. The new way doesn’t work at all for me with my S4. Didn’t work last week either with my S3.

14. dojoman macrumors 65816

I can’t get it to work at all. When you raise your wrist is Siri suppose to come on with listening animation or should I start talking immediately after I raise my wrist? Couldn’t get mine to work with either way. I can only get hey Siri to work.

15. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors 6502

Turned it off for now.

Unreliable and false positives while talking to my wife.

When I talk to my wife I like to give her my full attention. Siri going off on my wrist distracts me from earbashing her incessantly about how much I love my new watch.

16. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

S3 or S4?

I find that for my S3 I have to be very specific. It’s not only rasing the watch close to my mouth but also have to align the microphone facing my mouth too. It’s like talking to the microphone, otherwise it won’t trigger Siri.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2018 ---
    The former.

17. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

I think you mean latter. Siri listening animation doesn’t just automatically come on when you raise your wrist. You have to raise and then speak immediately, and then Siri comes on the screen. Never before.

18. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

That is opposite to my experience.

19. dojoman macrumors 65816

So raise the wrist and start talking? Obviously I don’t need to say Hey Siri right?

20. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

That doesn’t even make sense. That’d mean Siri comes up every tine you raise your wrist, just to check the time? No you have to start talking, then Siri displays once it realizes you’re issuing a command.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2018 ---
    That’s how it’s supposed to work. I’ve done it multiple times. Then other times it just does nothing and I have to say “hey Siri” first.

21. Musashi3052 macrumors newbie

S4

I tried doing it that and it doesn't work. It's just really inconsistent.

22. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Yeah.. Siri comes up first, then I talk.

23. Nozuka macrumors 68020

then how do you see the time, if all your watch ever shows is siri when you raise your wrist? lol

it's definitely raise your wrist and start talking and siri will follow.

24. traveltoromantis macrumors member

traveltoromantis

Never used Hey Siri with it so I love the feature. Haven't had any false positives just yet and it's worked about 95% of the time.

25. matrix07, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018

matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

This doesn’t make sense. You lift your wrist to your mouth you’ll see Siri comes up. Otherwise it shows time. Why would you want to see time when the watch is like an inch to your mouth?

I recommend you reading post #16 again.