How are you getting on with the split keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blackNBUK, Oct 13, 2011.

1. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

As the subject says, I was wondering how other people were getting on with the new split keyboard? So far I like it a lot, it's really handy for writing text without having to place my iPad on my lap or a desk. I'm using it right now in fact!

The only problem I've got is that the "B" key is on the wrong side. I've used a MS Natural keyboard for years and unfortunately they put the "B" key on the left hand side. Does anyone know if you can change that?

2. AirForceOne macrumors member

I'm really enjoying it. At one time I had the Moto Xoom and the one thing I missed on iPad were the third party keyboards that had the split feature.

3. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I'm a virtual keyboard hater. But I have to say that the split keyboard is an improvement over the huge, intrusive standard keyboard. For short notes when I don't have my bluetooth keyboard in place, it's a worthwhile upgrade.

4. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I really like the split keyboard. Makes it easier to type while holding it with two hands.

5. cfuehrer macrumors newbie

6. paulcdb macrumors regular

I just couldn't get used to it and so back to the standard one, although I have long fingers and can easly reach all the keys. :)

How you get it is with the keyboard key in the bottom right... Press and hold to move it up (split) and then move it back down to return to normal

7. cfuehrer macrumors newbie

8. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I tried it and thought it was a cool feature but went back to the regular one...seems to take more concentration to type since the keys are so much smaller, I prefer the bigger keys of the standard keyboard.

9. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Feel the same way, but I'm almost certain with enough forced practice, the spli keyboard will become natural to us.

10. B.A.T macrumors 6502

to get the split keyboard use the button in the lower right hand corner that makes the keyboard disappear. Just hold it and slide it up and the keyboard will spilt for you.

11. blackNBUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not something that I'm planing to use all the time but it's a good solution for entering text while still holding my iPad. It probably helps that I've also used my iPod Touch keyboard quite a lot.

Anybody else having the same problem with the "B" key? Or am I the only one to use a physically split keyboard?

12. CHRONiC YOUTH macrumors member

It's cool.. I wish the keys were a little larger and that you could reposistion the keyboard on the screen

13. trip1ex macrumors 68000

It sucks. I was am disappointed. It is too small. It would be nice if you could resize it.

Actually be nice if you could totally customize the keyboard layout.

Oh and when I type I feel like I am watching a tennis match with a neck brace on. My eyes are constantly shifting left to right to left to right......

14. AirForceOne macrumors member

a cooler way to get the split keyboard is to simply put both thumbs in the middle of the keyboard and pull both thumbs toward the edges of the iPad and the keyboard will split apart.

You can even just put your thumbs on the A and L keys and pull apart the keyboard...again just pull both thumbs away from each other. To get the full keyboard back just put your thumbs on the split keyboards and push them towards each other and the keyboards will join into one.

15. Gage macrumors regular

Really? I was putting my index fingers in the middle of the keyboard, then splitting them to each side.

16. codelode84 macrumors regular

codelode84

Seems to make it a lot easier especially when you are laying down using the iPad.

17. Stetrain macrumors 68040

One thing I noticed is that even though it is roughly the same key size as the iPhone keyboard, the keys do not pop up when you touch them like they do on the iPhone/iPod touch.

That's a very important feature when your thumbs completely cover the button you're trying to hit. It also makes it easy to catch a wrong letter and slide your finger to the correct one without ever letting go.

18. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Is it just me, or are the controls for sliding the keyboard to however high/low on the screen kinda awkward and not very easy to use?

19. mystikpymp macrumors newbie

Thanks for explainig how to turn it on. I didn't know how to turn it on either. Now thats on I can say that I like it. Its way easier to type.

20. jweaver macrumors member

For me, the keys are too small, so i am still not sure whether inlike it. I didnt realise that you could pull the keyboard appart with you thumbs until i read this, but why cant you drag up and down at the same time. It makes no sense!

21. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

thank you! I was splitting it up

22. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

23. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

+1 way too small I wish they hade a way to make it the size that works best..

24. Tritons macrumors 6502

+1 form me
    It's too small. And I have no problems typing on usual keyboard.

25. Mirai 11 macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

I really liked it, worked well doing notes.
    Is there a way to move the split keyboard slightly higher or lower?