Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Received the Apple Leather sleeve today and although I like it it smells chemically? Not of leather that's for sure. Do you think it'll loose its chemical smell over the next few days?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Received the Apple Leather sleeve today and although I like it it smells chemically? Not of leather that's for sure. Do you think it'll loose its chemical smell over the next few days?

I'd give it some time. Mine didn't smell that strongly, and it has faded, but the smell is definitely the sort of smell of leather that's been recently treated during manufacture.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I'd give it some time. Mine didn't smell that strongly, and it has faded, but the smell is definitely the sort of smell of leather that's been recently treated during manufacture.

Smells really good now (already!). What was that? 3 hours since my first post on this? Smelling of lovely leather now.

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
I had an Air 2 for over 2 years, and it was misplaced somehow and lost. Hope it turns up soon! I got a Mini 4 like a month ago or so and love it. I got the 10.5 yesterday with Sprint cellular and LOVE IT!

Sadly, until a case and screen protector come in tomorrow, it's iPad mini 4 still. I'm not chanci messing this machine up! It's spectacular!
Coming from a Mini 2 I was very concerned that the 10.5" might seem too big and unwieldy. Especially since I still have the original iPad (32Gb, 3G, still works) and never really warmed up to it, partially due to the size.

Thankfully that is not the case. It's bigger all right, but I like it. The screen is very, very good. While it's not as sharp as on the Huawei Mediapad M3, I think it's fine.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Coming from a Mini 2 I was very concerned that the 10.5" might seem too big and unwieldy. Especially since I still have the original iPad (32Gb, 3G, still works) and never really warmed up to it, partially due to the size.

Thankfully that is not the case. It's bigger all right, but I like it. The screen is very, very good. While it's not as sharp as on the Huawei Mediapad M3, I think it's fine.

The Huawei what what?....?

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
A most bizarre thing has happened on my 10.5. I've set up as a new iPad and am organising my apps but cannot see the Amazon app anywhere? When I search for it it's there but I can't see it to move it? Any ideas?

I had that happen with a folder when I setup my new iPad 10.5. Just restart the iPad. It'll show up. I'd lost the App Store and a few things I really needed.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
I haven't had an iPad in so long. I feel spoiled. Love my 10.5. My last iPad was first or second generation. Then I got the 12.9 and kept it for a few days.

Lisat78

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2015
I had to go back to 10.3.2 on my 10.5 and I’m missing 11. First beta or not, I’ve had more random issues on 10 than the other. BUT I’ve pretty much decided that for the sake of another 90 quid I might as well upgrade to 256gb. You pays laptop money, you might as well have laptop storage and my iPad is pretty much my primary device these days.

Reactions: metalcyclone

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
I've only had it for a few hours but so far I love it. While I was waiting to get it I had been reading the forums and was concerned the 10.5" would be too small, but I'm really happy with the size.

Reactions: AppleRobert

badmojo69

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Sending mine back for the 12.9. I just like large screens after having a surface pro and galaxy note pro 12.2.

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
Right so, after using it late last night I think it's a bit unwieldy for bed/bathroom :p. It's hard to put it down anywhere, having a relatively large footprint, and I really don't want to crack the screen, after doing it twice to my Mini.

So it's great for use during the day, it can even be decent as a productivity device. For in-bed reading, I think 8" is much better.

And the night mode colour shift is gone too. It does seem to auto-adjust a bit in this regard, but I don't think it's quite the same.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Just picked up a 10.5 / 256 / Cellular model. Coming from a first gen 12.9 so waiting to see if it works out.

Tried a 9.7 Pro briefly but didn't find the ASK or screen size that great. However, it was fantastically more portable and easier to handle as well as for reading in bed.

Hoping that the 10.5 is indeed the middle ground with enough screen yet still retaining the ease of handling.

I will say the 4gb, TrueTone, Promotion, and upgraded camera (yes, I would actually use this now to snap and film) are not insignificant. Oh, and the power it has is off the charts compared to other tablets.

It's getting a lot of favourable reviews. Kinda feels like Apple is perfecting the tablet. They just need to allow Magic Mouse support.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Can anyone help? I have the Private Photo Vault app on my 9.7 Pro and want to transfer the photos. When I downloaded the app onto the new 10.5 all the photos are gone? I set up the new iPad as a new device. I did the same with my iPhone 7 Plus and all the photos successfully transferred over. Any ideas how I can get all me photos on my new iPad?

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
coming from an ipad mini 3, it seems a lot bigger, and looks much better than the clunky ipad 3 I had before that. Just need my CRM developer to get working on Chrome for Ipad at this resolution and I could finally leave the macbook at home. I also noticed that chrome doesnt look nearly as sharp (im assuming its scaling resolution from another ipad size until its updated)

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Just picked up a 10.5 / 256 / Cellular model. Coming from a first gen 12.9 so waiting to see if it works out.

Tried a 9.7 Pro briefly but didn't find the ASK or screen size that great. However, it was fantastically more portable and easier to handle as well as for reading in bed.

Hoping that the 10.5 is indeed the middle ground with enough screen yet still retaining the ease of handling.

I will say the 4gb, TrueTone, Promotion, and upgraded camera (yes, I would actually use this now to snap and film) are not insignificant. Oh, and the power it has is off the charts compared to other tablets.

It's getting a lot of favourable reviews. Kinda feels like Apple is perfecting the tablet. They just need to allow Magic Mouse support.

I'm gonna be really curious to see what you think coming from the 12.9. I upgraded from 12.9 to the new 12.9, and am really happy with the decision, but still questioning myself sometimes as to whether or not I should go smaller strictly for the portability factor. I just don't know if I could give up my screen at this point. I'm planning to head to the Apple Store Monday or Tuesday to check out the 10.5 and see what I think while I'm still in the return window with AT&T.

Honestly, I had this same struggle when I bought my 12.9 (9.7 pros had just been released), and ultimately decided to go big or go home. I LOVE the 12.9, but I know I'd like something a little lighter and easier to haul around as well. I'd consider just doing a 2017 iPad for hauling around, but I know that would be really tough to use out and about when I have this amazingly smooth pad at home. First world probs...

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Do any of you let the battery die down? Mine's down to 33% at the moment. Is it better to let it drop to 20 or 10 before charging?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.