Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
but then half of macrumors' traffic would disappear? :p

lol!

:D

----------

Its is ridiculous to look at every micron of the computer, and thats one thing. But screen retention, edge bleed and half a yellow screen is something in inhibits people from using the computer successfully. I work with photo, graphics and video so its CRUCIAL that my screen is perfect or as perfect as it can be since i need it for my work. Plus is not bad to ask for something that should be right to begin with. If you're stupidly looking at every micron then you're a jerk but this is not the case, for me at least.

Ok, I misunderstood where your original post was going and I jumped the gun. I offer my apologies.

I agree with you. The things you mention above are very important. I too am a full-time imaging professional and I know where you're coming from.

Cheers,
Bryan

onebyone

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2007
Zero issues, this thing is dead sexy. I am using my 2011 27" iMac in TDM as an extended desktop and the difference is not subtle.

MMcCraryNJ

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
When I bought my LG TV, the forum members for that TV were screaming about uneven lighting. I saw it on my set. Looked terrible......when it was on screen saver. Once an input was applied, it went deep black and was perfect. Yet everyone seemed up in arms about the backlight when NOT in use. Look for stuff, find stuff. There are credible complaints about displays (the new Kindle isn't looking very good), but sometimes you just need to look at a display and if you like it, stop there and enjoy.

Which model LG TV? I have the LM7600 from 2012 and the AVS forum thread on it was the same. Love my TV. :D

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
the retina 5k displays are all made only by LG...no samsung alternatives this time around..5 of 5 i checked are LG

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
the retina 5k displays are all made only by LG...no samsung alternatives this time around..5 of 5 i checked are LG

LG quality control may be wore than Samsung but both Samsung LED panels that I bought for my home have uneven lighting on them too. Why the Koreans are the only ones in this LCD panel game? Panasonic makes fantastic panels too.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
Ive been expecting my screen more and more, and I notice that there is a very slight yellow tint towards the bottom of the screen.

Is this normal or do you guys advise I exchange the unit?

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Ive been expecting my screen more and more, and I notice that there is a very slight yellow tint towards the bottom of the screen.

Unless it's a glaring obvious problem, I think you should stop worrying and enjoy your new machine.

Bryan

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008

Does it change if you tilt the screen around? Are you sitting level with the screen and not too high above it?

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
Unless it's a glaring obvious problem, I think you should stop worrying and enjoy your new machine.

Bryan

Does it change if you tilt the screen around? Are you sitting level with the screen and not too high above it?

I notice that when I lower myself and look at it straight ahead, the yellow tint almost nearly disappears completely. So I guess its just the viewing angle.

However, I'm experiencing an issue with my magic mouse. Every time the imac goes to sleep, the magic mouse scrolling no longer works until I restart the computer...Any ideas?

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I notice that when I lower myself and look at it straight ahead, the yellow tint almost nearly disappears completely. So I guess its just the viewing angle.

However, I'm experiencing an issue with my magic mouse. Every time the imac goes to sleep, the magic mouse scrolling no longer works until I restart the computer...Any ideas?

Did you try re-pairing your mouse to your Mac?

gsingham

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2013
Saw 3 different iMac retinas on display in city. These have just been put on display. All 3 have a yellow shift to the bottom. I don't need to load any specific website. I just open App Store or calendar and the grey bars look different and they change as I drag the window around.

What exactly is the issue? The screen tint or the placement of the LEDs or uneven attachment of the panel?

One was really bad. It went from "white" on top to "khaki" on the bottom half.

habeebhashim

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Singapore
Zero issues, this thing is dead sexy. I am using my 2011 27" iMac in TDM as an extended desktop and the difference is not subtle.

would love to see a side by side. I sold my 2011 after order the new 5K... so didn't get a chance to compare.

But to my decidedly, untrained eyes... this display is very nice. Noticeably brighter. Even lighting. Can't notice any edge bleed.

No yellow tint (on my 2012 rMBP it is very noticeable after they changed the panel once... the original panel was a Samsung and the white on that was white... but the panel had some screen retention issues so I got it changed after two years once the problem became even more persistent. The new panel on the rMBP is an LG which doesn't have the retention problem but is yellow. Had to play around with the colour profile for almost half a day before getting it to look half decent.)

adww12321

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2012
no tint

No yellow tint here (turn off Yosemite's transparency -- I find the background wallpaper bleeding through windows is nothing but annoying.)

The 5k screen is ridiculous. Easily the best LCD i've ever used.

I've got a Samsung s27a850d -- considered to be a pretty good 2560x1440 panel in its day -- paired with it as a second monitor, and honestly.. it looks like blurry garbage next to the Retina display.

In fact it looks so bad that i'm now wondering how I lived with it for this long as my primary display. :)

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
The one I have has as uniformly even a screen as I think I've ever seen. No yellowing or other defects that I can see.

Djay1

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Middle Tennessee
The one I have has as uniformly even a screen as I think I've ever seen. No yellowing or other defects that I can see.

Ditto! It is extraordinary! I have no idea regarding all of the speculations regarding longevity but here in the "here & now" this Mac is "the bees knees" ... okay how old am I? :p

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Ditto! It is extraordinary! I have no idea regarding all of the speculations regarding longevity but here in the "here & now" this Mac is "the bees knees" ... okay how old am I? :p

Exactly. I can, if I tilt the screen down (so I'm effectively looking at it from above) see the yellow tinge in the bottom half of the screen. But that's why there's a tilt. When it's pointing directly at me it's perfectly even top to bottom.

So, to answer OP, this one is perfect. Same as the LG screen on my rMBP.

jolissimo1

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
my imac 5K has display bleeding. I took a foto in a complete dark room with a complete black background.

Another one has the same problem: https://discussions.apple.com/message/26986422?ac_cid=tw123456#26986422

I cannot believe, that all the screens here in the forum are perfect. Can you test it again in complete dark room with a complete black image and full backlight. please post a photo

Thank you

Attachments

• DSC04105 (1).jpg
    DSC04105 (1).jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 614

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
my imac 5K has display bleeding. I took a foto in a complete dark room with a complete black background.

Another one has the same problem: https://discussions.apple.com/message/26986422?ac_cid=tw123456#26986422

I cannot believe, that all the screens here in the forum are perfect. Can you test it again in complete dark room with a complete black image and full backlight. please post a photo

Thank you

That looks pretty good for no signal in a dark room. IPS panels will have some light bleed. Yours appears to be minimal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.