Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Col Vandal

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
California
... and throw your money down the drain and keep broken machines and just accept it. I for one wont do that, I like apple like many of you but I wont defend them if I get a defective machine. Im done with this argument. Lets move on.

Kinda reads like you think they suck. Only way to find out is to get one. If it doesn't meet your standards, return it within 14 days and either get another one or your money back.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Kinda reads like you think they suck. Only way to find out is to get one. If it doesn't meet your standards, return it within 14 days and either get another one or your money back.

Its hard for me to take your advice when you CLEARLY haven't read my comments in this thread, therefore you dont know whats going on. I do not think they suck. Last time I got an imac i went through 5 of them to get a good one. Many people had this problem with this generation of iMacs (late 2012). The reason why I initiated this thread is to see if people were experiencing the same issues as a lot of us did back then, because i dont want to go through the same thing of getting an imac then returning it til i get a good one. I just dont want to go through that because the panels were made by LG and its the same with these new ones. I was just SIMPLY asking (did you read the title of the thread? it reads HOW ARE YOUR SCREENS IN THE 5K iMAC?) never mentioned they were bad. I'm asking for user experiences. AS I SAID BEFORE!!!! if the screen are great and dont exhibit a lot these problems then great! better for us as the users why would i want to wish they were bad. I just dont want to jump on to things without doing my research which seems to bother people somehow.

Its really extremely annoying of you giving advice when you don't know the whole story please refer from it in the future because it doesn't help! you simply dont want to admit that youre overstepping your boundaries and that you are wrong.

Col Vandal

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
California
Its hard for me to take your advice when you CLEARLY haven't read my comments in this thread, therefore you dont know whats going on. I do not think they suck. Last time I got an imac i went through 5 of them to get a good one. Many people had this problem with this generation of iMacs (late 2012). The reason why I initiated this thread is to see if people were experiencing the same issues as a lot of us did back then, because i dont want to go through the same thing of getting an imac then returning it til i get a good one. I just dont want to go through that because the panels were made by LG and its the same with these new ones. I was just SIMPLY asking (did you read the title of the thread? it reads HOW ARE YOUR SCREENS IN THE 5K iMAC?) never mentioned they were bad. I'm asking for user experiences. AS I SAID BEFORE!!!! if the screen are great and dont exhibit a lot these problems then great! better for us as the users why would i want to wish they were bad. I just dont want to jump on to things without doing my research which seems to bother people somehow.

Its really extremely annoying of you giving advice when you don't know the whole story please refer from it in the future because it doesn't help! you simply dont want to admit that youre overstepping your boundaries and that you are wrong.

It's really annoying when a pissant such as yourself listens to no one except people who tell them what they want to hear. I read your whole thread and all I see is whining. Wrong about what? That you're too cheap to spend the money you clearly should to do what you want at the level you want? I'd ask for refund on that diploma, because you clearly never took any college-level English class.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
It's really annoying when a pissant such as yourself listens to no one except people who tell them what they want to hear. I read your whole thread and all I see is whining. Wrong about what? That you're too cheap to spend the money you clearly should to do what you want at the level you want? I'd ask for refund on that diploma, because you clearly never took any college-level English class.

lol... Some people tend to result to personal attacks when they simply don't want to admit that they are wrong or they have lost an argument and they have nothing else to go on with. Personal attacks are unnecessary, not relevant, and therefore you will be ignored from now on.

I take no shame for coming from a developing country, learning the the language (or at least trying to), going to art school, and trying to make a better life for myself. I'm very proud of this. I won't let people like you make me feel bad about my accomplishments.

Last edited:

jayco1983

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
My only real issue so far is something I'm not certain is an issue yet.

When I wake my retina iMac up from sleep, it first adjusts the brightness (no matter if the automatic setting is on or off) and then, a few seconds later, there seems to be a slight shift in tone towards warmer or more yellow colors, which is odd.

Any of you experience this?

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
This explains a lot.

what does that explains? These imacs that i went through not all had screen issues, some had weird fan noises which i have recordings of. I asked people here and they told me to return it, so i did so. If it explains anything it would only be, that apple was having problems making these machines. If you remember these 27 inch imacs were delayed till december because they were having yield issues making the displays since it was the first time they were doing that type of process.

Again im not complaining because i do not own a retina iMac I'm just defending my right to ask people due to my previous experiences. It is that simple. I HAVE NOTHING to gain from returning iMacs. Theres nothing in for me for returning them! i do not get any pleasure from that. In fact it is very stressful which is why i'm treading lightly with my purchases. I'm just doing research before i jump in. If it was just me "complaining" why do some these threads below exist regarding the late 2012 iMacs?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1510087/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1518012/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1518094/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1508336/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1508336/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1510087/

These are late 2012 iMac threads, If start posting about people retina displays in macbooks and their issues we won't end today. But thats irrelevant since I didnt experience that, Im just posting what I had experiences with.

Last edited:

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
Sometimes there's real issues, I've had to return a laptop once myself as the video card went sideways after a week. However, I've heard countless stories on here of people being neurotic over ridiculous issues that have no bearing on the function of this tool. Spine people act as if they're buying a work of art & if there's one eenie-weenie flaw they try to send it back. I mean really, sitting in the pitch black inspecting every pixel & using a magnifying glass to find bleed is a sign of a disorder. Screens come in all different pricing sand grades and like I said before, these are, at best, prosumer machines. These are not professional units even if some pros will use them. You get what you pay for, and these appear to be great value for the money. They can't all be perfect at this price point, but they should all function. People looking for flaws & irregularities need counselling. Even w/ minor flaws you can't see under *normal viewing* conditions some users still lose their ****. It's a tool. Does it work? Yes=go be fruitful. No=return it. Yes but there's one stuck pixel & some minor bleed that I can't see while viewing images=go get help.

kenca94538

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2014
my unit have retention problem or the burn in problem.

my unit have retention problem or the burn in problem.

I have to return it.

Sean92110

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014
My riMac left me with my mouth gaping wide open after I've set it up and got it running: What an awesome display!

Unfortunately, it had two pixel defects: One stuck one, and one maybe stuck (or some damage in the layer keeping the background light out). So Apple sent me a replacement which I've received a few days ago.

I set up iMac #2 and transferred my data. Wow, no pixel defect in sight ... but ... but ... where's the Oh my god! feeling I have everytime I looked at iMac #1 ???

After fiddling round a bit with different positions, external light drained out etc., I can now say: Display #2 is not bad. But it just doesn't come anywhere close to the epiphany I have everytime I used #1. The display is a shade warmer, especially white just doesn't look as crisp and clean, and grey looks a little bit yellowish. The fonts don't look as sharp.

As an anti-paranoia check, I asked one of my female colleagues to check out the two iMacs w/o telling her what's going on. She's not a tech savvy by far, but it only took her a glance to verify what I was seeing: The second iMac is warmer / yellowisher (she actually called it egg-ish).

All in all: I'll send the second one back. Not sure if I've got the time or nerve to go for round #3 - maybe I'll just live with the pixel defects. On a regular display they'd be unbearable to me, on Retina they're only visible if you go looking for them ...

I think the second display is still OK - but the first one is superb. Sad though they can't push out constant quality ...

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
My riMac left me with my mouth gaping wide open after I've set it up and got it running: What an awesome display!

Unfortunately, it had two pixel defects: One stuck one, and one maybe stuck (or some damage in the layer keeping the background light out). So Apple sent me a replacement which I've received a few days ago.

I set up iMac #2 and transferred my data. Wow, no pixel defect in sight ... but ... but ... where's the Oh my god! feeling I have everytime I looked at iMac #1 ???

After fiddling round a bit with different positions, external light drained out etc., I can now say: Display #2 is not bad. But it just doesn't come anywhere close to the epiphany I have everytime I used #1. The display is a shade warmer, especially white just doesn't look as crisp and clean, and grey looks a little bit yellowish. The fonts don't look as sharp.

As an anti-paranoia check, I asked one of my female colleagues to check out the two iMacs w/o telling her what's going on. She's not a tech savvy by far, but it only took her a glance to verify what I was seeing: The second iMac is warmer / yellowisher (she actually called it egg-ish).

All in all: I'll send the second one back. Not sure if I've got the time or nerve to go for round #3 - maybe I'll just live with the pixel defects. On a regular display they'd be unbearable to me, on Retina they're only visible if you go looking for them ...

I think the second display is still OK - but the first one is superb. Sad though they can't push out constant quality ...

If it's consistently yellow across the whole display you could calibrate it, as opposed to a yellow tinge down one side for example.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Just to add my voice, this is the best screen I've ever had. Less light bleed than the 2010 iMac it replaced.

Off topic:
The 2010 boots up OSX with a white screen and gray apple logo, etc. The Retina iMac boots up with a black screen and white logo, etc. Both running the same build of Yosemite. Struck me as a little weird, but whatevs...

Sean92110

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014
If it's consistently yellow across the whole display you could calibrate it, as opposed to a yellow tinge down one side for example.

I tried the "Expert mode" in calibration settings to no real avail.
Plus, the white seems uniform when spread all over the screen, yet when I open finder windows with their white / grey patterned lines, it's obvious the right half of the screen shows the pristine white, the left half doesn't - this is where it looks a bit muddy.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Just to add my voice, this is the best screen I've ever had. Less light bleed than the 2010 iMac it replaced.

Off topic:
The 2010 boots up OSX with a white screen and gray apple logo, etc. The Retina iMac boots up with a black screen and white logo, etc. Both running the same build of Yosemite. Struck me as a little weird, but whatevs...

Yep that's correct. Just Apple being... clever, for lack of a better word. It's similar to the white iPhones booting now with white screens and black logos, and the black iPhones booting now with black screens and white logos.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I tried the "Expert mode" in calibration settings to no real avail.
Plus, the white seems uniform when spread all over the screen, yet when I open finder windows with their white / grey patterned lines, it's obvious the right half of the screen shows the pristine white, the left half doesn't - this is where it looks a bit muddy.

Sorry, I meant with a hardware calibration device. I use the i1 Display Pro.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW

I'd stick w/ the first one. Better the devil you know...

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
No issues, and believe me I've seen enough duff apple screens across many devices to know what a duff screen looks like.

Perfect cool whites across the whole screen, no dead pixels, all groovy

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

This did actually help mine with the yellowing. Not perfectly even yellowing but really close. This shouldn't be something I have to put up with on a brand new machine. I may try to have the display replaced under warranty later on, hopefully the warranty covers this sort of issue.

tatty27

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Staffs UK
Mine has very slight bleed at the top but I didn't notice it until I made a point of looking for it. No yellow stuff going on.

All in all I'm one very happy bunny and the only complaint I can make is that I've got to buy a new 2nd monitor because my old one (which I always considered to be fairly decent) looks appalling now in comparison.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
My display isn't perfect, but it's good enough that I'll keep it.

I was very anxious about opening up my box. I actually had it sitting for a few days before I unboxed it. Because the last time I bought an iMac I went through six of them because of screen issues. Was afraid to have to go through that again.

But I'm pretty happy with this one!
Light bleed is minimal. No dead pixels. No yellow hue. A slight bluish hue towards the bottom.
But what bothers me a bit is the backlight uniformity. Especially in the upper corners where it's noticeably darker even with normal use.

But it's not worth risking exchanging it for one that is worse. It's just a slight annoyance since I'm sensitive to such things.
Overall it's a fantastic display.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
My display isn't perfect, but it's good enough that I'll keep it.

I was very anxious about opening up my box. I actually had it sitting for a few days before I unboxed it. Because the last time I bought an iMac I went through six of them because of screen issues. Was afraid to have to go through that again.

But I'm pretty happy with this one!
Light bleed is minimal. No dead pixels. No yellow hue. A slight bluish hue towards the bottom.
But what bothers me a bit is the backlight uniformity. Especially in the upper corners where it's noticeably darker even with normal use.

But it's not worth risking exchanging it for one that is worse. It's just a slight annoyance since I'm sensitive to such things.
Overall it's a fantastic display.

That's the right attitude to have. Yes, we all wish these displays were 100% perfect. Personally, I find the display to be light years better than the 2012-2013 iMacs, since the off-axis viewing angles are HUGELY improved, especially on dark material which washed out something awful.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
That's the right attitude to have. Yes, we all wish these displays were 100% perfect. Personally, I find the display to be light years better than the 2012-2013 iMacs, since the off-axis viewing angles are HUGELY improved, especially on dark material which washed out something awful.

Agreed, improved off-axis viewing angles more than makes up for a little backlight bleed. Whenever I use the mid 2010 now I am astonished at the washed-out blacks toward the edges of the screen.

My only complaint is the uneven yellowing. I wouldn't mind if it was even screen wide, but since it is slightly uneven it tends to bother me.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Agreed, improved off-axis viewing angles more than makes up for a little backlight bleed. Whenever I use the mid 2010 now I am astonished at the washed-out blacks toward the edges of the screen.

My only complaint is the uneven yellowing. I wouldn't mind if it was even screen wide, but since it is slightly uneven it tends to bother me.

A lot of that you may find to be off-axis viewing. These larger screens do tend to experience yellowing off axis. If you move your head directly in front of the screen area that is yellow, do you find the yellowing changes color to whiter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.