How best to show off my Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by FellaMeLad, Jun 30, 2015.

1. FellaMeLad macrumors member

FellaMeLad

So, I've had my Watch for around a week. I've been fairly low-key with it at work as I normally wear long sleeves, but as we seem to be having a mini heatwave here in the UK, I wore a t-shirt to work today.

Cue lots of "Is that an Apple Watch?" questions...

I really wish I had a 'patter' to go through to show it off at it's best - instead of trying to get Siri to call my colleague and have it fail miserably, or waiting what seemed like an age while it tried to read my heart rate :confused:

I'm sure I could have done better - any tips?

Oh - and I'm in the UK, so I can't show Apple pay yet :)

Fella.

2. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

Same issue here. People expect to be "wow'd", but it's a personal device not really designed to show off. I just let them know it's basically an extension to my iPhone for notifications/etc...

It's hard to show off without twisting your arm around to keep the screen turned on too. :p

3. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Go around with a sign advertising your apple watch in one hand and your iPhone in the other hand and your sleeves rolled up. If you make it home without being mugged you win.

4. FellaMeLad thread starter macrumors member

FellaMeLad

LOL - sounds like you rolled out of the bed on the wrong side this morning! When I wrote "how best to show off my watch" i didn't mean it in a 'show off' way. Trust me, up until today only two of my colleagues who sit next to me knew I had the Watch - I'm not the sort of person who flashes things about like that.

All I'm asking is what are the best features to show people when they ask.

Also, I have a Tag Heuer Formular One which cost me twice the amount of the Apple Watch when I bought it a few years back. I frequently wear that with my sleeves rolled up and carry my iPhone in the other had and haven't been mugged yet :rolleyes:

Fella.

5. techspin macrumors 6502a

You can wait until it reminds you to stand up then tell everyone to look. And sign all your e-mails with "Sent from my Apple Watch".

6. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Don't worry about the bed, I always reply with sarcastic humour

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Cool guy over here.

Yes, don't bother trying to show off a wrist watch.

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

9. FellaMeLad thread starter macrumors member

FellaMeLad

You guys!

Talk about herd mentality :rolleyes:

Ah well - have fun in here. Cos I'm out :D

Fella.

10. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Of course, he's out to follow ulenspiegels idea

11. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

Close friends I'll let them put it on and send me a message. It's a instant wow when they turn the wrist and the message pops up without interaction. I'll also let them hit play on the music glance and then my phone starts playing music instantly. Also an immediate wow. I also show them the Workout app and how it works.

For others basic the same routine while it stays on my wrist.

Siri is a hit and miss, mostly because it's not my native language.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Love that Avatar!

13. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

I've had it since June 15 and also been low key. No one asked or noticed which is fine. I've already read a few stories already here of people getting robbed of the watches on the street or even following them outside the few Apples stores in the malls. AND since these punks know it works with the phones. They are stolen too. Sucks..but I figured this would happen.

I was in line at the grocery store this past week, cashier line at the grocery store. A guy behind me, maybe in his 50s said "Whoa, is that the Apple Watch?" He has never seen it in person..Wanted to see the face, how the home screen moves around, if I liked it..etc. Small talk. So far it's the only time someone asked about it.

14. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

Try it at the grocery store. make sure nothing is blocking your wrist while you push your cart around.

15. rowdt1 macrumors regular

Strap it on your forehead and wear an Apple shirt. If people ask what Apple products you own calmly respond with "I have everything, because it just works". 100% success rate guaranteed.

16. bushido Suspended

bushido

people ask me if it can "go on that internet" constantly. drives me insane

17. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Why do you feel it's your job to sell the apple watch to people? Tell them yes it's the watch and they can check on out at the apple store. Sorry but folks like you make me fear for society's future.

18. FellaMeLad thread starter macrumors member

FellaMeLad

LOL - I'm new around here, but since I've joined I've actually tried to be helpful and give useful advice to others. Cos I'm like that.

I took a look at some of your posts - what a grump! Ah well - takes all sorts, I guess.

Anyhow - thanks for the welcome! And have a nice day :)

Fella.

19. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

I hate it when people ask me 'Is that the Apple Watch?', lately I've just been replying with 'No'.

20. T4R06 macrumors 65816

I don't show it.. They will noticed itself. This morning I bought my daughter a happy meal at McDonald's and crew went crazy how I paid.

Now right after went to Starbucks and my watch showed the barcode telling me that I can pay through it and baristas were so happy and excited to scan my wrist lol

21. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

Luckily I am the third or forth person at work that now has one.

22. Tom G., Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015

Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Go to the "camera remote" app and take a selfie with your phone triggering it with your watch.

Use the onboard "Stocks" app to show them some stock prices.

Use the "Photo" app to show them photos on your phone.

Go to a weather app and show them the forecast.

Go to the calendar app and show them your schedule.

Go to a sports app such as "The Score" and show them the score of their favorite team, or just use "hey Siri" to do the same thing. Actually that may be even more impressive.

Set up Heart Rate in your glances and show it to them, I even slightly raise the watch so they can see the green LED light. Always seems to impress people.

Cycle through the watch faces, especially Mickey Mouse, Motion, Solar, or Astronomy, or Chronograph, and let them see how on some of them you can customize the face.

23. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Maybe the better question is why do you feel compelled to show it off?

And maybe the answer is, if you can't figure out why, or a way to do it, then perhaps there's really not much to show off, and no real reason to try.

For me, people seem perfectly happy just to look at it on my wrist, and if they are more curious, to hear about what it does and why I like it, rather than actually see it in action.

It's like a cool new email app on your computer...you can tell people about it, but most people won't really care or truly be able to appreciate how it helps you save time or organizes your life a little better. And you probably don't want them poking around your inbox anyway.

Just flash them the watch, talk about it, and leave it at that. Leave a little mystery...

24. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I thought you left?

25. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Yeah, you definitely left.