How black is black?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by berthenderson, Aug 17, 2012.

1. berthenderson macrumors member

I got an iPad again, screen seems good! Well impressed with this one. Though, I noticed that blacks stand out against the bezel. If I watch a movie in widescreen, and it's in the letterbox format, the black is kinda noticeable... it's not a deep black like a Super AMOLED screen.

2. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

That's because it's LCD IPS. The advantge of this LED set-up is that it allows for much whiter whites and a much higher brightness.

3. docprego macrumors 65816

The iPad and iPhone whites look incredibly more white than my Samsung Galaxy SII AMOLED screen ever did. Those "whites" were actually blue. The tradeoff is that AMOLED has MUCH truer blacks.

4. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

So whites are more whites in Apple Products and Blacks are More Blacks in Super Amoled Screens ??

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Turn the brightness down, unless needed for very bright ambient conditions. With it set to about 60% and "auto", blacks are very deep. Noticeably better than the 1st gen iPad, and that was IPS too.

6. docprego macrumors 65816

It's not specifically an Apple thing. However it is true because Apple products use IPS technology in their screens which produce truer whites than AMOLED screens. Conversely AMOLED screens produce truer blacks than IPS screens do.

7. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

8. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Basically.

9. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

What would you have to say then about tens of thousands of those people who bought their New iPad in the first initial days of the Launch and have been complaining about having a greenish white, pinkish white, I dont think Apple products whites are any remarkable. ;)

10. docprego macrumors 65816

I would say these imperfections absolutely exist. However when comparing technologies purely from a technical capabilities viewpoint, my comparisons remain accurate.

11. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Thank you for your observation that the screen of the iPad is an LCD panel and not a Super AMOLED panel. The screen is still as black as #000000, but the LED backlight gives a lighter appearance.

In other words, cool story bro.