How busy is your street?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iBookG4user, May 25, 2007.

1. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Having my window open to cool down my very uncomfortably warm room and hearing all the cars go by helped me think up this thread. My street is very, very, busy, it's used as a popular cut through street for a high school that over 3000 people attend. It's one of the busiest streets in my city of 100,000 people. Sometimes I'm stuck in the driveway for up to five minutes waiting to get out. How busy is the street you live on?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Here in SB, it's pretty tranquil. My street is next to a park, and a popular cross-town route, but I have no problem having my windows open. I'd say an average of one car every 20-30 seconds goes by, at a speed of around 20-25 mph. Things get busier right before and after work, but that's about it.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

If a car drives down my street at 12 AM (Its that time here) You call the cops.

Throughout the day however, maybe 5-6 cars tops going 15 MPH

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not too busy, but it gets used.
    nothing too annoying to say the least. unless i can feel the bass in the house, thats just annoying.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Small one-way street so not much traffic 'round here. :cool:

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Dead-end small private community of homeowners, so not too many cars.

We have a Do Not Trespass, violators will be towed sign at the front.

7. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'll trade your busy street for my neighbours nauseous dryer smell. :mad:

8. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

On my street everyone goes about 40-50MPH, at around the busiest time of the day around 45 cars go by every minute and right now (around 10PM) still over 15 cars go by a minute. The funny thing is that motorcycle cops are nowhere to be found and one motorcycle cop lives up the street :rolleyes:.

9. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Quiet. My street only has 10 houses on it so it is only local traffic.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Very little. We have a large white barricade at the end of our street with a large, yellow, diamond sign reading "End." As most people look down the hill and see that sign, they believe that it's a dead-end ...little do they know, the street actually turns! :D

11. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

My street is about 6-8 blocks long, and is a dead end. There are 4 homes on it, each is 50-100 yards from the road, and it is tree/shrud lined the entire length. 4-8 cars make a trip outbound, and a trip inbound, each day.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I live on Ashland Ave here in Chicago. It's one of the main arteries of the city. I hear ambulances all night and police cars, I love it. :) It actually puts me to sleep. When I go back to my parents' place in Ohio, I can't sleep. It's too quiet and too dark. I sleep well in NYC too.

13. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I live just off the intersection of Main and Broadway in Vancouver.
    I got traffic both ways and a block from a fire house too.
    Oh and there are two hospitals within 3 min of my house as well as the Medivac helicopter route is over my house and the seaplane approach route is over it too.
    Its pretty noisy, thougt the 100 year old chestnut trees do filter alot out. not too bad for being smack in city.

14. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

My street is a big avenue and busy pretty much 24/7.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- I love Brooklyn. Where do you live exactly? Brooklyn is the new Manhattan. Manhattan is becoming ridiculous and irrelevant. The Village is even getting boring artistically. Brooklyn is pretty much happening now, especially Williamsburg.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, my street is always busy and I sometime stay right next to the east river and the metro north....yup if the sound of a train/boat/various types of pimps don't wake you up then nothing will:)

Bless

17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i live in a cul de sac, and it doesn't get busy here at all.

18. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I'm lucky my house is in a cul-de sac .... so very little traffic :)

FJ

19. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

Mine is not too busy, but now they opened a new runway so the jets fly overhead, good thing its not a large airport.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Quiet as the grave, unless I'm playing some loud music...

21. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Not much traffic on mine, about 10 cars per hour but the local sports hall is 4 doors down, so there's a constant flow of people going there to play badminton, work out in the gym etc.

The nice thing is that as it's local, most people walk there not drive, so there's always someone walking down the street. (there are a couple of big leisure centres elsewhere which suck most of the car traffic)

Every evening about 6pm, about 100 people run down the street (part of their run scheme) which can be quite surreal to see.

For such a quiet street, there's loads of foot traffic, even through the night which is odd as the street doesn't really go anywhere, but does help to make it feel safe.

Cop cars / cops on foot come through quite often too, and about once a week a pair of cop horses come through on their exercises.

Sometimes there's TV crews here - last year someone famous was in a scandal, and their father lived here, and the street was full of camera crews. 2 months ago, Blue Peter was filming outside my window, with all the presenters there.

It's not all fun and games, about a month ago, we had 50 armed riot police running down the street at dawn to bust a dealer, and pics of his front door were in the local and national news.

This same guy had stolen my bike from my yard the week before, and I'd called the local police on him, who took me to check out his yard. They probably didn't know that the big drugs cops were watching him.

Ah well nick my bike, get 50 armed cops on your back - that was cool - goes to show don't mess about with the RedTomato. :)

22. dcv macrumors G3

23. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I'm a few minutes from the Verrazano Bridge. If it's not traffic from the BQE or Belt Parkway that spill onto my street, I can hear the faint rumbles of the subway, fog horns from boats, blaring fire engines, motercycle gangs, or just insane drunkards in the park.

Truthfully, I couldn't sleep any other way.:)

...And oddly enough I spent most of my night at a friends in Williamsburg last night and it's funny how everyone I know who lives in that neighborhood hate it for so many reasons.

24. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

For a small town of 25,000, it's fairly busy during the day. It's an entrance to a large neighborhood.

25. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Absolutely empty. Probably like 5 cars an hour