How can I delete a printer in Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seenett, Feb 1, 2008.

1. seenett macrumors regular

New mac user here. When I set up my new macbook a few weeks ago, I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to add to my existing home network. This network includes:

new macbook
    wife's PC
    my old notebook PC
    Wi-Fi printer
    USB printer (connected to wife's PC)
    Wii
    satellite receiver/DVR

All of the above work fine on the network, but my macbook is also showing a 3rd printer - a printer I don't have anymore. I am guessing that the driver may still be active on my PC notebook, and the macbbook just adopted it.

So my macbook shows 3 printers available, but only two are physically connected to the network. I can not figure out how to delete the 3rd printer from System Preferences. Any ideas?

2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Can't you just click the minus button under the list of printers?

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Select the printer in the list (System Preferences > Print & Fax), and hit the "-" button at the bottom.

4. seenett thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you both. That did the trick.

I am realizing that macs are so user friendly that my PC brain can't quite grasp the simplicity yet!

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Will this work for also uninstalling the drivers for that printer?

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If you're talking about the drivers that are part of a basic OS install, no. You could just delete the ones you have no need for.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Thanks for the quick response. I loaded two drivers for my canon printers. I want uninstall them now. Will the above delete the driver for the installed printers?

Thanks again

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If they were the preinstalled drivers, yes. If you downloaded or installed from CD, maybe not. Also, many printers come with additional software beyond just drivers. Look for an uninstall app, or use AppZapper to clean things out.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

10. fritz'smac macrumors newbie

Please help

What if the printer you just installed is not available in the list of printers? I can see and use the printer when I need to (i.e. printing from word), but I cannot uninstall the printer (which is want I want to do) because it does not show up as an installed printer. Is there anything that I can do? Thanks in advance.