How can I get Java 1.6

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by spudtatoe, Sep 11, 2013.

1. spudtatoe macrumors newbie

I need to know how I can get Java 6 for my PowerPc mac, I need it for Minecraft :D

Can anyone tell me how to get it, I heard of something called soylatte but I can't seem to find more things about it

2. Wildy macrumors 6502

Please use the search function, there are several similar threads posted in the past few months.

There is a mythical Java 6 Developer Preview 9 floating around the web somewhere which contains support for Java 6 on PPC 10.5. Soylatte is based on the OpenBSD builds of OpenJDK 6 and AFAIK does not work for Minecraft.

3. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Why not use Java 7?
    Install Debian 7.10.
    Open terminal
    Apt-Get install your java

There is no reason to continue using OS X.
    Get Debian through bit torrent at debian.org
    Make sure you get the PowerPC iso
    Burn it to a DVD
    A normal HTML download will be slow as they use bandwidth throttling.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

You keep suggesting that people use linux as a substitute for Mac OS X. It is not a suitable substitute for the vast majority of users.

5. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

And where did you get those numbers from?

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

From the fact that people buy Macs to be Macs. Yes, there are people willing to switch to Linux, but most people are not willing to just switch to something they don't know willy-nilly. (Especially since a majority of OS X users switched to OS X from Windows in the not-too-distant past. Switching a second time is too much for many people.)

Yes, the more technical usually have no problem with it, but they also tend to be the ones who don't ask "how do I get [x] going on [y]?"

7. spudtatoe thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought this mac to run a Minecraft server and play a little, But I didn't know Minecraft was dropping Java 1.5. So I guess I can't run it at all?:(

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Not on OS X. If all you want to use that system for is as a Minecraft server, then that would be a logical reason to switch to Linux on it.

9. Wildy macrumors 6502

You might have luck running a headless CraftBukkit server with SoyLatte.

10. spudtatoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Possibly this may be the way to go, could you please tell me how to install Linux?? I'm a noon when it comes to this stuff, does it have java 6? Would everything be able to work on the Mac?

Thnx

11. spudtatoe thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I do this ?? Sorry if I'm asking so many things

12. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Getting Debian
    1. If you don't already have one, get a bit torrent client, I like vuze.
    2. Download this file.
    3. Double click the file.
    4. Wait for it to download.
    5. When it is done, go to your documents->Vuze Downloads
    6. Keep the Vuze Downloads window open

Putting Debian onto a DVD
    1. Open Disk Utility, this is located in the Utilities folder of the applications folder.
    2. Drag the file from the Vuze Downloads folder into the Disk Utility side bar.
    3. You may now close the Vuze Downloads window.
    4. Click the .iso file you just added to Disk Utility.
    5. Put the DVD into the mac.
    6. Hit burn, from the top part of the Disk Utility window
    7. If you want to do a safe burn, set the burn speed to 1x if you are impatient, set the speed to the max.
    8. Let it burn undisturbed.

Booting
    1. Reboot.
    2. Hold alt when the screen goes black.
    3. Let go of alt when the screen goes to a boot menu.
    4. Give it as long as it wants to take before you get a cursor, it can take forever, just let it do its thing.
    5. Click the square that has the DVD with the Penguin at the corner in it.

Installation
    1. Let it load.
    2. At the first boot prompt hit the C key.
    3. At the second boot prompt hit the Enter key.
    4. Let it load.
    4. This step may or may not be appear, but if you need to select something, use the arrow keys to highlight install.
    5. Go through the prompts to install, change the selection with tab, choose a selection with enter, use the keyboard as usual to type, use escape to go back, use the arrow keys to go up and down in menus.

13. Jake0604 macrumors regular

A minecraft server on a PPC Mac would be almost unplayable. Build a cheap server, install linux, and use that.

14. rabidz7, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

How does your post contribute to the OP's question at all?

A PPC mac will run a minecraft server perfectly, and with zero lag.

15. Goftrey, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2013

Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

One - the OP stated he had a 'PowerPC Mac', there wasn't & hasn't been a single mention of what machine he has.

Two - saying a simple little Java game won't run on a brand new 12 core workstation but will work on a 10 year old, unsupported machine simply because it's not 'cool' enough is just about the stupidest thing I've ever had the misfortune of reading.

16. rabidz7, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2013

rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Look, the MP thing was just to be silly, I was just trying to say that a G5 is more fun to use than a MP in a sarcastic way. Also it gets annoying when people generalize PPC macs as 1GHz iBooks. What that person said was just like saying that all x86 PCs can run servers, which they can't.

17. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Goftrey brings up a good point - what kind of PowerPC system is it?

I'm running a Minecraft server on a first-generation Intel system (Core Duo 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.8,) and it can handle 1-3 users without too much difficulty, but starts to bog down above 4.

I would imagine that a dual-CPU G5 would be similar, a quad G5 would be okay at higher levels, and anything else (single G5, any G4 or below,) would be bogged down even at minimum load.

18. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

My Quad runs the server for the site in my sig (it's currently having router port forwarding issues) perfectly fine.

19. spudtatoe thread starter macrumors newbie

I should have mentioned, I have a PowerMac G5 Late 2005 With 8gb ram

20. Wildy, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

Wildy macrumors 6502

That is very strange behaviour indeed. I've been running a 5-user server in a 512MB single-core VPS for a while without issue (segfaulted once or twice due to memory limitations).

Also rabidz, while it's very noble of you to detail how to acquire a copy of Debian, you skipped right over the actual installation - arguably the most important part of the guide, no?

I would try giving Soylatte a go (http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...rg/static/soylatte/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk). You can find the binary here: http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/stati..._darwin/openjdk7-macppc-2009-12-16-b4.tar.bz2. Installation options are at the bottom of the page (fairly simple). To get your system to recognize the new Java version across reboots you will need to place the export command inside of your profile file (I'm not sure if it's there by default, you may need to create it at ~/.profile and reboot).

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Is this the same quad that runs 10.8 via emulation?

22. spudtatoe thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried SoyLatte but as someone said above it will not work on Minecarft, Is this true?
    I will probably end up running Debian, but as you stated above, Its not explaining how to actually install? Could someone please give me a actual install guide?? That would be nice, I did try with the SoyLatte but I think I did somthing wrong but I will try again later, With the Debian thing, is it possible to install any other OS? Maybe Ubuntu??

BTW Just incase you never saw I have a PowerMac G5 Dual late 2005.

Thanks

23. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

The last officially supported PowerPC version of Ubuntu was 6.10. It has been community supported since then and there have been some issues. The last one that I personally tried was Lucid Lynx (10.04). Generally, I prefer Ubuntu on x86 machines. Debian seems to be the preference among PowerPC users. Zen has a good and easy to follow installation guide here.

I don't view any PowerPC Linux as a substitute for MacOS, but they can be very useful and make a nice complement to MacOS in a dual boot system. Again, just my opinion. YMMV.

24. Wildy macrumors 6502

It was me who said it didn't work with Minecraft - but I've only tested it with the client, not the server. What does it say when you type java -version into a terminal?

25. spudtatoe thread starter macrumors newbie

It says its Java 1.7
    But It never comes up in the java prefrences