How can I make sure my iPhone 4 is running at peak performance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

What are some things I can do to clean it up?

I cleaned my safari history, cache, & cookies.

Cleaned my YouTube history.

Deleted apps I don't need.

What else can I do to make sure it's running at peak performance?

2. iKoopa macrumors member

iKoopa

Hmmm. It's really hard to suggest things without turning off the main features.
    But here's my set-up.
    Turn off location services. (I don't ever really need it, and if I do, it's only on Facebook.)
    Turn off Push notifications. (Lots of people like this, but again, I don't really need to know every single update I get from my networking or games, I check manually.)
    Switch on Edge when your phone isn't being used. (If I'm working, or sleeping, or not using my phone for much, I always turn 3G off. It doesn't take but a couple of seconds to switch off the 3G radio. The reason why I keep the cellular data on, just in case I might get a voicemail or something. I've gotten lots more battery life by doing this, especially in standby mode.)

Now, if you're jailbroken, you can always disable mulititasking. (For one, I've barely ever used it on my phone, but I do on my iPod. So on my phone, with multitasking disabled, apps load a tiny bit faster, and they always launch, and close smoothly. No occasional jitters, and stutters. Also, since the phone isn't caching anything in the multitasking tray, you are almost guaranteed to have upwards of 300 megabytes of RAM.)

You don't have to go with these decisions, that's just how I set my phone up.

3. jav6454, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011

jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Running at full blast means no background processes running. Also, no network connections are being carried for certain applications. Also, if you want full battery capacity then disable Bluetooth if you don't use it and Wi-Fi if you are not around it.

Clearing caches will not help as that actually helps the iPhone load things you like to do faster. Example, clearing MR's front page cache will make your iPhone redownload everything again taking up time, data allowance and CPU cycles.

Leaving caches intact is highly suggested.

4. jlw2387 macrumors member

Don't worry about it. The iPhone itself will shut down apps when it needs the resources. If you are noticing any slowdown, just try rebooting your phone. It's not like a PC which should be defragged and cleaned up from time to time.

5. Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers