How can I mark/select text in an iMessage?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by kuruptmixer, Nov 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kuruptmixer macrumors member

Previous to upgrading to OS X 10.12 on my Retina MBP(Late 2013) , I could select a text piece in an Messages by clicking and dragging the cursor. Since the update to OS X 10.12 and Messages 10.0, if I click and drag, I can only tag the message with ridiculous teenage-girl-pictures, but whatever I try, I'm unable to select any text in the message. The only option I could find to copy a specific text sequence is to copy the whole message, paste it in TextEdit and then copy out the sequence I'm interested in. Is that seriously how it's supposed to be? Preferring silly icons over actual productivity?

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Have you tried click and then shift+right/left arrow? That keyboard combo is supposed to highlight text beginning at the cursor position and highlighting right or left.

3. kuruptmixer thread starter macrumors member

That seems to have done the trick! Thank you! Now if I could find a way to disable Tapback!

4. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

There are some other keyboard combo's that may help you in your day-to-day work. Try Command+left/right arrow, and Option+left/right arrow.. these move the cursor so you don't have to keep hitting the arrow keys so much.