Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
wjen I think about all of the different iPods, iPhones and other gadgets that i have had over the years, I remember how much i would get annoyed if i scratched it. then I think, where is it now? chances are, in a year or two or three, you won't care about scratches on your iPhone 4. right now it would be the end of the world.

my iPhone is in really good shape, I don't take it everywhere I go. I make sure that there is no dust or other things in my pocket before i put it in, force of habit now, and it has had a zagg shield since day one. as long as its not a massive blatent mark then forget about it and enjoy your phone.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
- Get a new hobby. You seem to have alot of time in your hands.

- Get a girlfriend and have dirty sex. If you swing the other way, that's ok too. Getting laid and bumping the nasties may help you stop thinking of about the look of a phone. You realize how something dirty can feel so good!

- Use a different phone and leave the iPhone 4 in the box or under a museum display case. The real world abuse will always corrupt anything. A perfect iPhone 4 becomes imperfect from your grubby hands.

- Give it time. You probably got it new. Honeymoon phase didn't go away. I've had mine since launch and I'm not as OCD with it like I used to. Maybe because I have a case too. It is like when you buy a new car and the new car smell goes away. Eventually, you stop being very cautious and cleaning it way too often, and you just start using it to get you places because that is what you bought it for.

- If you can't find a hobby or get laid because you truly are an introverted anti-social, then don't make any friends. Letting them touch your phone will likely drive you nuts. Be a hermit and just live alone. That way, your phone stays at home with you and you don't have to go out to have fun. Having fun can make you careless. Having a phone and staying on it for hours can make anybody anti-social from the rest of the real world anyway.

- Don't read these forums that consist of people who report imperfections and problems.

- Lock yourself up in a Las Vegas hotel room for the rest of your life like Howard Hughes.

- Try out for that TV show, Monk.

- See a doctor. You may need medication for this. I know, I thought I was going crazy when it came to dust on my old basketball cards and CD jewel cases back in my teen years. Realized there is alot more important things in life. When Pope John Paul died back in 2005, I realized all the good he did to the world and how insignificant and tiny my life really felt like. He was a world changer.

Seriously, nothing is really forever in this world and this phone can be easily replaced. They all collect dust even when you don't use it. But you can't replace your parents and family. You could be young like in your teens or early college years to not realize what the most important part of your life is. You probably need to find a job and focus on your career. And it shouldn't be all about a phone.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
If your doctor told you that you only had less than six months to live, I think the dust on your iPhone 4 should be the last thing on your mind.

Just imagine that you can die at anytime, even tomorrow. Then you will appreciate even the little things you take for granted everyday. Put away the microscope because you are so myopic over a phone, and then you will see the bigger picture.

Just enjoy your life and the many aspects of it. Nothing is forever. The people who report tiny physical imperfections and problems in this forum have just as many tiny physical imperfections and mental problems with themselves. We all get tiny moles, have a receding hairline, and become forgetful after awhile. Learn to enjoy your life and the many aspects that can make you happy about who you are. Man, if I only had six months, I would stop worrying about this phone and start traveling all over the world. Go skydiving, be on a cruise, and get laid with hot chicks. If I knew the time limit for my life, I would like to go out on top and die smiling!

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I think this thread is no different than someone being obsessive over their new car or just about any other well-designed/engineered/pretty expensive item. It will eventually wear off when you realize that your iPhone is just a tool, like anything else you use on a regular basis and will show some wear.

My car's about 13 years old and certainly not new looking anymore, but every once in awhile after a good wash and wax, I can appreciate how good it looks for its age, but a few dings, rust spots, and a rattle here and there are bound to happen. I see it more of a comparison thing - there's a lot more cars out there that are newer that look worse and I wasn't exactly babying it.

iHeartapple2

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
OP I don't blame you for wanting to take care of your iPhone. I am the same way! Who wants to use a scratched up busted phone? I sure as hell don't and if you sell your phone every year for the latest and greatest then you need to get as much for it as you can to pay for the new one. I myself took a big step and got rid of the cases! I hate the way the cases and bumpers make the phone look, especially those Otterbox cases! I am going completely naked!! I do use a leather clip on belt case at work but other than that I go naked and I love it! I am still very careful where I lay the phone down and I am very careful when handling it to avoid drops. So far so good, not one scratch.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Value what you have and take care of it but also understand that unless you keep it at home encased in glass you'll never be free of some sort of blemish.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
prozac-pills.png

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Even the most beautiful person will get older and uglier and either be cremated or rot in the ground as worm food when they are DEAD.

Look at back at all your old gadgets you've owned. Are they as perfect today as when you first bought them many years ago?
It is just a phase. Over time, you will stop being anal about this phone. You likely won't use it after 2-10 years. You will have a better phone by then. The iPhone 4 will be put in the drawer if it isn't lost, stolen, given away, or sold by then. I feel bad for folks who actually have that. It is a greed and selfishness inside of them over a material thing. You are putting too much sentimental value on something you don't really plan to keep perfect for the rest of your life.

Don't get me wrong, let's not go out and abuse our phones. I try to keep my things as brand new like before. Not a believer in screen protectors, but I am still very careful with my iPhone 4 and still try to clean the screen about twice a week. When I first got it, I cleaned it like everyday. But there is a limit before you realize you are wasting more time cleaning and looking at a device when you could be doing something more useful with your life. This OP created a thread similar to this a month back. I really hope you get help because it really can be a sickness. Can ruin personal relationships.

Want to learn to cope with the "dust" in the wind? :D Listen to Kansas. All we are is dust in the wind, dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ&ob=av2e

Or watch this scene of The Wonder Years... (where a summer romance eventually fades away). Listen to the last line of this episode with the pictures. Nothing is permanent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtSW4HtGh24

I'm already looking forward to the next gadgets I want to buy, so I don't act OCD anymore with my iPhone 4. I'm praying for a PSP phone to come out. And if that doesn't come out, I want the Nokia N9 for my next phone. Later this month, Nintendo plans to give us the price and release date on the 3DS. That's the next device after the iPhone 4 that should sell like hotcakes on release day. Expect to line up around the block for it and then jack up the prices if you plan to sell it on eBay. Try to look forward to something else if you want to cope with your OCD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.