how can I play Flight Simulator on my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by natatos, May 5, 2009.

1. natatos macrumors regular

Before I switched to mac I used to play it a lot but about a month before I got my mac I had a viruse on my computer and had to reinstall the OS but never installed Flight Simulator. I've tryed installing it on Parallels but it said something about the graphics card I've also read that Boot Camp is better for playing Windows games on Mac so could I play it on on Boot Camp or Parallels or is there some software where I could play the game on Mac.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A native install of Windows is the best. Don't use a virtual machine.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

4. MaTUC macrumors regular

Boot Camp is your best choice ;)! Parallels it's good but not for games , that's my opinion

5. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

An alternative would be to try X-Plane which is available as a native Mac application.

I don't find it quite as much fun as MSFS, but it's a skazillion times more realistic and accurate. Worth taking a look, in any event, especially since it sounds like Microsoft have killed of Flight Simulator for good.

6. natatos thread starter macrumors regular

yea I've tried x-plane but when I started it the controls wouldn't work and my big controller stick thing wouldn't work either

7. Tainter macrumors member

of course you can use a joystick in xplane , read the manual , trust me it helps....

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

x-plane sucks, its too realistic, and then sometimes not realistic at all, like the the control sensitivity is definately not realistic.

9. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I'm not quite sure what you mean, since the control sensitivity is mostly a matter of your drivers and settings. X-Plane doesn't have a whole lot to do with that.

By realistic I mean that the physics model is actually accurate and complete unlike MSFS where the physics model is just faked to approximate the flight model and performance of each aircraft.

You can actually practice crosswind landings in X-Plane and it matters which wheel you touch down first, for instance, unlike MSFS where there really isn't ground effect or wheel friction in the simulation.

Heck, X-Plane is even certified for use for FAA flight instruction (in specific configurations) and that's a direct consequence of its realism and accurate flight model.

10. dimme macrumors 65816

I spent the weekend installing Windows 7RC1 and flight simulator x on my 2008 mac pro. performance s excellent. No problems or stuttering. I am locked at 40fps and everything is at high(one notch down from the highest).

11. multimania macrumors member

Looks like I'm gonna have to try Windows 7 then, are sure no stutters? I have almost the same rig as you.

MP 8x2.8 4GB 8800GT

Also, have you updated FSX to SP1/2 or Acceleration or tweaked any setting?

Sorry for all the Q's, I'm desperate to get this working!

12. dimme macrumors 65816

No stutters, I installed SP1 & SP2. I did launch FSX once before installing the SPs. No other special tweaking except for locking the frame rate to 40. I have installed custom scenery for my area.
    Oh one mor thing I am running Windows 7 RC1 64bit.

13. multimania macrumors member

Ok thanks Dimme, just need to get Windows downloading now. Have a rubbish connection here!

14. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Does anyone know how accurate X-Plane's models are for helicopters? Trying an autorotation in MSFS is a joke... the aforementioned lack of wheel friction causes a helicopter on skids to hit the runway at the end of a full down autorotation (or even just a run-on landing) and coast down like an airplane in its landing roll-out. Last time I tried either in a real helicopter it stopped FAST when contacting the runway. Bonus points if X-Plane shows sparks flying from the skid plates for either of these landing types when done at night.

And for the OP, boot camp is your best bet.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What's this your talking about unrealistic control sensitivity in X-Plane?

16. dimme macrumors 65816

My Logitech joystick works much better in FSX that in Xplane. I am not sure if it is Windows that makes it better or Xplane that makes it worse. I have tweaked the setting in Xplane but that does not seem to help. It is so bad with some planes tht I don't even bother flying with them. I also like the fact the FSX supports force feedback!

17. multimania macrumors member

Thanks Dimme!

Hi,

Thanks alot for the tip on Windows 7. Finally got the 64bit version down last night. Ran the Nvidia driver, installed FSX, then ran it, then updated to SP1 then SP2. It has to be the best I've seen it run. I was even getting 60fps in San Fransisco bay (a few stutters, but better at 40fps).

My next test is gonna be to remove it and then try to install my FSX Acceleration pack (i love the F18!). This will really tell me if it's 7, or if it's the expansion pack.

Thanks alot, soon I may be able to do some flying.

RE:X-Plane and Joysticks... it is very hard to set it up so that it isn't too sensitive. I got a HOTAS Cougar the other week and it was very accurate with it, but I sent it back under wife pressure...:eek:

18. dimme macrumors 65816

I am using the boot camp driver, is there a better one?

19. multimania macrumors member

Oh ok, I haven't put the boot camp stuff on. It may not matter, it came up with a MS WDM driver so I went to Nvidia and got a windows 7 BETA driver

I don't know if it's any better or not.