How can I power on my Macbook without opening it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by quantum003, Aug 30, 2009.

1. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Anyone got any suggestions? I would like to use an old Macbook as my media center in the living room, but it will only really fit on a narrow shelf; opening it and messing with the monitor settings each time would be very inconvenient.

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Allow a blue tooth device (keyboard, mouse) to wake it

3. quantum003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Thanks for your quick response!

That's a good idea, but should I really be keeping it asleep the rest of the time? Wouldn't it burn up?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yes.

No. You can run whatever apps you like with the lid closed (including sleep ;) ).

5. quantum003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Well I'll be darned. I've run the Macbook for some time with the lid closed, even with a cooling pad under it, and it still felt hot enough to fry an egg when I finally did open the keyboard.

But keeping it asleep all the time is the way to go huh? All right, I'll give it a try. Much obliged guys.

Any other tips? Thanks.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I did some temp tests on my 2.33 MBP, while ripping some video. It was only a couple of degrees different closed vs. open an inch or so. Most of the heat is transferred through the case bottom (on that model) and by airflow from the fans. Having the lid closed doesn't change the airflow appreciably.