How can I retrieve data from a 9.1(classic) hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vessel, Nov 9, 2009.

1. vessel macrumors newbie

Simple question really, horrible explanation. Pretty much, I still have my old 7gb hard drive that was used in my green first-gen imac. Now I've upgraded to an intel mac pro over the years, and I am considering using this hard drive that has been sitting in a plastic bag by itself for however long as a secondary windows partition. However, there is still data on the 9.1(classic) drive and if possible, while I'm not so worried about the programs on it, I would like to retrieve those documents (mp3's, text documents, just to name a couple) that are contained on the smaller drive. Is this a possibility to consider before I format it to a windows partition? Also, I have yet to see if the old drive will even fit in one of the Mac Pro's hard drive slots, I may just be completely retarded to begin with. I apologize for my ignorance, this hard drive is ages old and I don't have the iMac that it was yanked from, so it's much more complicated for me to copy it than I intended. If this isn't even possible and the drive will get wiped when I plug it into my Mac Pro then I'd rather know that beforehand so I figured I'd ask here and possibly get my data back. Thanks in advance.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think you'll have a hard time using it as a Windows drive. It's a IDE drive, so it won't fit into the Mac Pro's hard drive bays (which are SATA). That means your best bet would be a USB 2.0 enclosure that has an internal IDE interface, but you can't install Windows (as far as I know) to a USB drive. Even if you could, 7 GB is not a lot of space for Windows. XP will fit on there (and not give you much space for anything else) but I don't think Vista or 7 will even let you install to that small of a drive.

I would get the cheap enclosure to pull files off, and buy a new SATA drive for Windows. They're fairly cheap for a lot of storage space.

4. vessel thread starter macrumors newbie

this is the EXACT answer i was looking for, thank you so much.

in my old age (27) i am finding phrases such as "7gb is not a lot of space" to be both humorous and true.

you wouldn't happen to own such a device (i guess i need an older mac or the enclosure) would you? i live in st. lou : D

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nope, unfortunately I don't have one, and I wouldn't buy from any stores here either, you'll overpay. We don't have a Frys or anything. Check newegg.com, they'll have what you need.

6. admo macrumors member

Tell me about it. I remember my Centris610, it had an 80MB drive, and it seemed huge! Only after several years with that thing did I finally fill it up and have to delete a large game or two in order to install a new one.

I now have 2.25Terrabytes in my MacPro.

7. akadmon macrumors 68010

80 MB? In 1988 I bought a 20 GB external drive for my Mac Plus for $500 :eek: Then a couple of years later, after I moved on to an SE30, I bought a $100MB drive, also for $500. Imagine 5 times the space for the same price! It seemed like such a bargain back then! :)

8. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

20gb in 1988 for $500 must have been a hell of a bargain ;)

9. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I was going to say, there's something very wrong with that statement....Perhaps 1998 would be more like it.

Showing my age a little, but my first computer (a ZX Spectrum) had 48K of memory and hard drives didn't even exist. My first PC in 1995 had 4 Megabytes of Ram and a 500 Megabyte hard drive. I thought I was the man when I upgraded to a whopping 8 megs :D

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I think he meant 20MB.....

20gb in '88, I bet the platters must have been the size of the pentagon lol.

My first Mac was in '95 and was a 6220? Performa, 1gb HDD and 16mb Ram. That was a powerhorse :D Still have it too but the HDD is shot.

11. akadmon macrumors 68010

Duh, of course I meant 20MB

These were the days of System 6 and Hypercard. Yes children, we were browsing offline in 1988, before there was a line to be on :D

12. vessel thread starter macrumors newbie

i still own my commodore 64, and that is sad.

13. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I still own my Altair 680b :cool:

(My VIC 20 is downright futuristic by comparison ;) )

14. MacMur macrumors regular

In 1984 I purchased a 20 mb that's mb external drive for $2,400. It was huge and all I could ever need. Gasp, look at me now. I have computers with teribyte drives in them and that is a little small.

Go figure.

I wonder what it will be like in 2020?

15. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Let's stay on topic here, folks.
    :D

I have been wondering something similar myself, I still have my G3 Powerbook from college and have been wondering for a while if there's anyway for me to get all the files on it (text stuff, midi files, Finale (music notation) files, some other stuff) onto one of my current systems.

There's no USB or Firewire, so I'm guessing there's no way to do this without having to buy something, or removing the drive?
    Any ideas?

16. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

How about file sharing over Ethernet? Or, running a FTP host [over enet]?

The other options I can think of would require either buying an adapter or pulling the drive (and buying an adapter...):

You can get a USB PC card and transfer to a USB drive. I believe there are a couple brands which will work (Belkin is one).

I'm assuming it's a Wallstreet "PowerBook G3 Series". It does have a target disk mode - but, it's SCSI. There's a chance it will work with a SCSI<>Firewire adapter, but unless you have both the SCSI HDI-30 adapter and the Firewire adapter already, it's probably not worth trying. The USB PC card would be much cheaper, and pretty much guaranteed to work.

The last option would be to pull the drive (it's pretty easy to get to) and use the Newer Universal adapter cable to USB 2.0.

17. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Yep.

Cool, that sounds like a good idea, I hadn't really thought about trying to actually get the drive out. So OSX can mount drives from Classic OS?

18. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Should be able to. I was having a moment of fuzzy memory, so I tried some old floppy images which are Mac OS Standard - they mount fine. If you upgraded from what shipped (OS 8.0), then it would already be HFS+ (Mac OS Extended).

19. ale500 macrumors regular

Use Linux!

You can always use Linux to access an HFS partition. Either get or borrow a PATA->USB enclosure/adapter and transfer the image to your disk and later via Virtualized (if you do not have native) linux mount it and read it. But as someone mentioned... it may just mount.
    An older PPC mac with Classic installed may also do.