How can I run Tiger and Leopard on the same machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by koila, Apr 18, 2009.

1. koila macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have heard that you can, I have a tiger mac with the system requirements for leopard, and I have seen various articles on the web about how to do this, but I don't know if they are legitimate or not. Created by a mac person or a person who was giving bad advice.

I have just received my leopard disk from apple yesterday, and if someone could help with advice or point me in the right direction to where there is legitimate advice that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Perhaps you could use bootcamp or something to partition your hard drive, and then install leopard on the second empty partition?

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You can't downgrade from Leopard to Tiger -- so the computer you're using has to be one that shipped with Tiger on it. You could partition the hard drive using Disk Utility and install Leopard on one of those partitions.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Look above, he is using a tiger machine. And he doesn't want to "downgrade" if you read the thread title, he wants to install both on the same machine.

5. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

Well if you want to run Tiger as the main OS, then you can partition the hard drive into two (or more) and install Leopard on one and it should ask which one you want to boot into.

If you want to run Leopard as the main OS, then you can buy and install Parallels and that will let you run two or more OS's at the same time without needing to keep on rebooting. Although I suggest at least 2gb ram per OS.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if you partition your drive to have a Mac OS Extended Journaled section - i don't see why you couldn't install Leopard on it... then you can select 'Startup Disk' in Sys Prefs to pick what you want it to start up in (leopard/tiger) and if you changed your mind... it's as simple as holding option on startup

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just wanted to add, that with Parallels or VMware, you can only host Windows based OS'es such as Windows XP or Vista. You cannot host a Mac OS such as Tiger.

8. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yes, but if you look above, you'll see that I explained how to partition the drive to install both on the same machine. Due to this being a public forum, adding the fact that Tiger can't on a Leopard machine, aka "downgrading", this may save someone in the future looking to accomplish the same thing.

9. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Hi,

You are wrong

VMWare Link

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I am sorry, but I don't see it.

Just to make sure that we are on the same sheet of music, I am saying that on a Mac running Leopard (or Tiger) that by using VMware, I can run (host) through virtualization Windows OS'es such as XP and Vista. However, I cannot run (host) through virtualization Tiger within VMware.

If I am incorrect and would you please show me as I would like to do this.

11. koila thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help, especially the part about partitioning my drive.

12. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Ok, I am saying, that a Mac running Tiger or Leopard as long as they meet VMWare's Minimum requirements:

Use the recommended versions of the Mac OS X operating system

For Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), use version 10.4.11 or higher. For Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), use Mac OS X 10.5.2 or higher.

On VMware Fusion, Leopard provides a richer 3D experience than Tiger.

Can run Windows OS'es such as XP or Vista, Mac OS'es, Linux OS'es etc. Not sure what the exact supported OS'es are, but techncially, any should be possible.

Broad Operating System Support

VMware Fusion boasts the most complete OS support, supporting more than 60 operating systems in a virtual machine, including Windows XP, Windows Vista, and even Mac OS X Server.

VMware Fusion was the first virtualization product on the Mac to offer support for 64-bit operating systems, and supports every major 64-bit operating system in a virtual machine.

It shows a Mac desktop running Windows XP, Mac OS X Leo Server and Ubuntu. http://www.vmware.com/files/images/screens_fusion/f2/powertools_serveroses_lg.jpg

Vmware has also several ISOs included with it:

/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/antivirus.iso
    /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/darwin.iso
    /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/freebsd.iso
    /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/linux.iso
    /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/netware.iso
    /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/solaris.iso
    /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/winPre2k.iso
    /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/windows.iso

I haven't used them, as I already had one I wanted to use.

Hope that helps

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Appreciate your detailed response.

The Internet can sometime challenge the message/idea. Probably my fault.

What I believe to be true, is that VMware Fusion cannot run the Mac OS, be it Tiger or Leopard. It can only run Leopard Server -- which is not the regular Mac OS but rather a Server OS.

So if I have an iMac, for example, running Leopard, I cannot use VMware Fusion to run Tiger. VMware Fusion does not support doing that. However, I could run Mac OS Leopard Server.

So I think we are saying the same thing. I mentioned Windows XP and Vista in my original post as examples of Windows software that can be run from within VMware on a Mac running Tiger or Leopard. In fact, currently, I have images for XP, Vista, Windows 2003 Server, Windows 2K and Ubuntu. All work fine for my needs.

If it were possible, I would like to have an image with Tiger and another one with Leopard for some testing. Guess that will have to wait for now.

14. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Using Tiger and Leopard on the same partition has severe disadvantages; for example, Time Machine will get confused every time you use Tiger (so the next time you use Leopard, it will carefully check _all_ files on your hard drive and take forever). If you have space for two partitions, it is easy: Create a second partition, install Leopard on the second partition. To switch, just hold the "option" key while rebooting. Alternative: Buy an external hard drive, install Leopard on the external hard drive. Or use Disk Utility to copy the contents of the internal drive to the external, then install Leopard on the internal.

15. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

This may be related to the EULA change that was introduced with Leopard server? AFAIK Leopard server is allowed to run in a virtual machine, whereas single user version is not. Presumably this could be why VMWare don't ship a Leopard single user image.

The Tiger EULA for both single user and server does not allow running in a VM, according to this article.

16. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Straight Answer yes...

Complicated answer no...

Apple does not officially allow you to do it... but when you install Leopard... you can partition the disk in Two and have one for Tiger/Anything Else and one for Leopard/Anything Else!!!

Hope that this helps...

J

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Make sense. Thank you. :)

18. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

This is correct. Technically, it is fine to run it, but as Apple's EULA says its not allowed to run virtually, VMWare have written Fusion to deny the installation.

However, a quick Google search located the process to bypass this which is quite easy, but obviously violates the EULA.

Its user choice really. If I needed to have virtual machines of a non-server Mac OS X client for testing, I would have no problems doing it as I would't be keeping it for any other purpose.

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Not saying that you can do it supported, but you can run Tiger as guest OS inside VMware.
    It's fun! :cool:

Attached Files:

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Understand.

I was looking at the legit side. Understand you can bypass VMware and run Tiger or Leopard.

21. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Well, what if your Mac shipped with Tiger (mine is shipped with Leopard, but I do own Tiger too), and you own VMware and Leopard.
    Is running the above illegal? I understand it is not supported, but I don't think I'm doing anything actually illegal....? Technically I will be installing Tiger on a Mac which can be shipped with Tiger etc. Unless somewhere in the EULA it is stated you may not the OS on a Virtual Machine...?

22. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

sorry to bump this from the dead but its related to this thread.

i have snow leopard installed bootable on an external harddrive, and leopard installed on internal hdd. i want to test SL on external until i am confident enough to do the actual upgrade. is it possible for vmware fusion to boot my external drive?