How can I tell whether Iphone is unlocked officially?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by xanders, Jun 12, 2010.

1. xanders macrumors member

I bought a second hand Iphone 3gs which is working fine on other carrier (not AT&T) . So I know its not locked, it also came with Cydia installed so I know its jailbroken. But in Cydia I don't see any of the unlock Packages or Sources that are supposed to be used to unlock the iphone. Does that mean its officially unlocked? Right now its on 3.1 (7C144) and modem firmware 05.11.07. Anyway to figure this out? Thanks in advance. :confused:

2. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

what unlock Packages or Sources did u look for??

might be the BlackSn0w when using B1ackRain

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Cydia/Manage/Packages

Look for Ultrasn0w or Blacksn0w. If you find one of them, the phone is software not factory unlocked.

4. xanders thread starter macrumors member

I neither see Ultrasn0w or Blacksn0w or B1ackRain. What I see are these:
    BigBoss's Source, biteSMS, Cydia Community Source, Cydia Installer, iPhone Delivery, iSpazio, ModMyi.com, Saurik's Source, ZodTTD's Source.
    Do any of these mean the Iphone is software unlocked?

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If neither the 2 things I posted are showing and you phone will accept any and all sims, it must be factory unlocked.

I believe after you sync with iTunes you get a message saying your phone is unlocked if it is factory unlocked.

6. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

It IS possible to disable installed packages from showing in the list of Installed Packages in Cydia. Post your Model Number (settings-general-about) and we'll be able to tell if it's a factory unlocked or not

7. xanders thread starter macrumors member

Ah ok... well the model number shows: MC137LL.

8. xanders thread starter macrumors member

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

dhlizard already answered you but you may continue to look for other answers. BTW that doesn't mean they are the correct answers!

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The only real way to be sure is to restore to an unjailbriken state and then try SIMs from more than one carrier. If both work, you have a factory-unlocked iPhone.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The model number has absolutelly nothing to do with it.

12. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Restore your iPhone to 3.1 just to be safe. After the restore, iTunes will pop up with a screen that says: "Unlock*Complete. Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked. To set up and sync this iPhone, click Continue."
    The. Jailbreak your iPhone again if you want to, or just put another SIM card in to see if it's still unlocked.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct, but he will not be able to restore a 3GS to 3.1 unless he got his SHSH's saved.

14. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Right, I forgot about that.

15. xanders thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies... when I load Cydia there is a message above the home screen that reads: "This device has SHSHs on file for Iphone OS 3.1.3" What does this mean? Also I was thinking since the iOS 4 updates in imminent I might as well wait and update (and check whether my Iphone will still work with my SIM) and hopefully there would be unlock solutions for it. (The internet is buzzing with news that Iphone iOS 4 has already been unlocked) Any suggestions/advice?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, we are pretty positive we will see a new unlock for the 3G and 3GS after 4.0 is out.

17. xanders thread starter macrumors member

This would happen only if my Iphone is factory unlocked? Otherwise it will lock again if it is software unlocked that is, right?

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yep, any firmware modifications will lock an iDevice unlocked with software hacks.

19. xanders thread starter macrumors member

Just wondering if its safe to update to iOS 4 now? Is there an unlock out yet? So much information wondering what to do... any help/guidance? Thanks.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Give it a try.
    There should be an unlock and a JB any day soon for the official 4.0.
    Or just wait till they're both out so you're not stuck with no phone for a few days or a week.

21. Farfooz macrumors member

Farfooz

he didnt actually check and see the packages, he only checked the sources i read, so i dont know why but this sounds like a software unlock, id be careful if i was him

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think you're right.
    OP go to cydia then click manage and then select packages. NOT SOURCES
    and then tell us what you have there listed as installed on your iphone.

23. xanders thread starter macrumors member

Ok, when I open Packages this is what I see:

Auto Profile Manager, BigBoss's Source, biteSMS, Cydia Community Source, Cydia Installer, iPhoneDelivery, iSpazio, ModMyi.com, Notifier, Saurik's Source, ZodTTD's Source.

Is any of the above an unlock software? Thanks.

24. Farfooz macrumors member

Farfooz

no none are unlock software, but can u do me a favor and go back to manage and click the button in the right, and itll ask u if ur a developer or a user? or commandline. i forgot the three options but pick the one iwth no restrictions, so u can see all packages because it looks like u have quite a bit missing from cydias install that should be there even

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope. If you dont see Ultrasn0w or Blacksn0w in the packages section and your nonAT&T simcard is working then you're most likelly factory unlocked.