Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NomadicTy

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2007
Probably because it's already been answered a ton of times.

Happy?

Yes, that's better than having to dig through a bunch of I-could-care-less, or you're-stupid-for-worrying-about-it, or I'm-a-barista-and-I-never-have-any-company-confidential-info-in-my-calendar responses. Thanks, wolf.

I always thought that OS X Server needed to be in its own box. I'll check that vid.

Jon-PDX

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Pacific NW - USA
If you're interested in OS X server you should probably check out this guys videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/tolthoff/videos

Thanks for posting the link to his videos.

I've also been looking at other options like OSX Server and OwnCloud. Been leaning towards OwnCloud because it will run under Win-7 and I have a spare Windows box that has not been getting used since I switched over to Mac.

I suspect the OSX server would be easier to setup but maybe not.

Jon…

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Then you'll have no problem with it if it's mandated that you must have a gov't monitored webcam in each room of your home.

Well we're already getting there with cameras on our computers, cell phones and tablets that can be turned on without us knowing.

----------

Probably because it's already been answered a ton of times.

Question:

> How do I work around missing SyncService in Mavericks?

Answers:

> Buy and use OS X Server ($20) - see bottom of features page

> Use some other server you have that supports CardDAV, CalDAV, or Exchange ActiveSync protocols

> Use a 3rd party Email/Cal/Contact application/suit that supports wired syncing via a companion app on whatever devices you're syncing to

> Wait for 3rd party sync solution (I believe I've heard that iSync is working on something)

> Downgrade to ML

> Run ML in a VM or a second install solely for the purpose of syncing

> Switch to Windows/Linux because you realize Apple is moving everything to the cloud and dumbing all it's apps down to suit the lowest common denominator

Happy?

Even if I used OSX Server or something similar emails to and from myself would still go through the internet. It wouldn't make a difference.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Don't use it...

I never sign in via iCloud.... Never have since i used Apple products 6+ years now..

Besides, after Mat Honan hack, this has completely changed what i think about Apple services now, and always will.... This, plus the complete re-done of the Apple developer section my thinking is because they found much more problems than we led to believe.... Pushes it over the edge even more.

Despite it now has 2-steo authentication now, the fact this was only required *after* something happened, just proves it..

Unfortunately, all our apps are stored, book, movies, e-books etc, I just cross my fingers that nothing will happen, despite i have a good password, or an employee doesn't decide to go 'feral'

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Well we're already getting there with cameras on our computers, cell phones and tablets that can be turned on without us knowing.

----------

Even if I used OSX Server or something similar emails to and from myself would still go through the internet. It wouldn't make a difference.
If you are that paranoid then you can use the VPN that you can configure on OS X server as well and avoid the unsecured and open internet. Of course if you currently aren't using end to end encryption on your current email solution or a VPN connection then it is no less secure than your current situation is.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
This message is very different than the following nonsense:

No, it is not. Use your imagination. You don't actually know that I was joking, even though I said that I was. Which is exactly the point. You don't know for sure what nastiness is happening when you use your phone. What you can be sure of is that there are a thousand agencies whose life's work it is to get at private data, and it's been shown time and again that they will use many and varied means to achieve this end, from compromising crypto algorithms at source, through to installing stooges in tech companies. People should be far more concerned about this kind of thing than using an internet service that happens to have a modern flashy name like iCloud.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
No, it is not. Use your imagination. You don't actually know that I was joking, even though I said that I was. Which is exactly the point. You don't know for sure what nastiness is happening when you use your phone. What you can be sure of is that there are a thousand agencies whose life's work it is to get at private data, and it's been shown time and again that they will use many and varied means to achieve this end, from compromising crypto algorithms at source, through to installing stooges in tech companies. People should be far more concerned about this kind of thing than using an internet service that happens to have a modern flashy name like iCloud.

This I agree with, which is why I avoid so many online services and use encryption and proxies as often as realistically possible.

Often, sarcasm is lost in written text. I find it far more effective to write what I mean.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
This I agree with, which is why I avoid so many online services and use encryption and proxies as often as realistically possible.

Often, sarcasm is lost in written text. I find it far more effective to write what I mean.

This is why I think there should be a standardized sarcasm font for all type casts to avoid such confusions.

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
I still don't see how a third party hosted vps is any different than Dropbox itself?? If you are hosting the vas on your servers then this makes sense, but I don't see how using a third party fps is any better or more secure than Dropbox. The idea is to contra, your data, but giving it to someone else to control (even if it is a vas) defeats that purpose as you are at their mercy for backups and uptime assurances.

Im sorry perhaps I could have been clearer, by "hosted VPS" I meant that you would have to play someone, somewhere for some rackspace, you could co-locate a server at an ISP, or you could truly self-host the service if you can live with the miserable and expensive upload speeds that non-ISP's are saddled with.

We have our owncloud server collocated at an ISP on our hardware running our stuff. This is not too bad honestly IMHO.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Personally, I think the simplest answer is do what I am doing. I have a windows machine, running Windows 7, and USB syncing is alive and well. My iPhone is up to date with all the info I want/need and didn't have to go through the cloud.

This doesn't fix updating the info on my Mac since I can't USB sync to it but I will work a different angle for that.

It's interesting. Years ago, I felt pushed to Mac because of what MS was doing. FF to today and the pendulum has swung back, I find myself pushed to MS because of what Apple is doing.

hairypoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
The server is an add-on for the current Mac OS. It doesn't require another dedicated machine but it is nice if you want to truly pst your open and have it running and available 24/7. The add-on is purchased through the App store and can be a bit daunting if not familiar with networking and server administration, although the newer versions are pretty much plug and play in comparison with older versions such as SL and prior. Also if you are not familiar with dns or static IPs provided by your ISP then you may have a hard time getting everything correctly pushed to the internet and back into the server.

Thanks for this. However, are you sure iTunes sync services will recognize the own server (either AppleServer or own cloud) setup as a legitimate cloud and sync informations to i-devices?

In my case, most of the other data are not shared between my macs and i-devices. So a server like this would at best be a backup solution?

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Thanks for this. However, are you sure iTunes sync services will recognize the own server (either AppleServer or own cloud) setup as a legitimate cloud and sync informations to i-devices?

In my case, most of the other data are not shared between my macs and i-devices. So a server like this would at best be a backup solution?

The local sync of the information happens on the server as I described to include the music, book, movie, photo, and ringtone data. The other data, the contacts, email, and calendar are then sync'd through the hosted services on the server through the internet (they are not a local sync) but they are not stored this way on iCloud and can be transmitted through a VPN if the extra security is desired. This removes the data from iCloud but still does not allow a local sync (USB) solution if that is war you are looking for. I know it works this way as I have this setup currently and have been using it this way since before SL server came about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.