Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etchtech09

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
I did a quick search on Google and found this:

Check Starcraft 2 FPS on Mac
To check the frame rate on a Mac, while you are in a game hit: Control+Option+F

Show Starcraft 2 FPS on Windows
Checking FPS in Windows is basically the same key command, in SC2 hit: Control+Alt+F

On either operating system, once you hit the command to display frame rate, the FPS counter will show in the upper left corner

jmnikricket

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008
what is a good number to have?

The generally agreed upon number is that above 30 fps, it will look fluid (you won't be able to distinguish individual frames), and below 30 fps, it will start to look jerk-y and you will see individual frames. 30+ is a good baseline. For strategy games like SC2, I'm willing to go down to 20+ without really sacrificing imo.

jmnikricket

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008
I pressed control option f in TF2 and it didn't work. Any help?

If you're using Steam, there is no keyboard shortcut. You have to go into the keyboard options, click "advanced", and check "enable developer console." Then press the tilde key (~) to open the console, and type "cl_showfps 1"

Mac frame rate commands are game specific for the most part. WoW is ctrl-R iirc, so it is not even consistent across blizzard games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.