How can you tell if a White iPhone is fake?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reclusive46, May 12, 2011.

1. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

My friend just got a white iPhone 4 and he's worried its fake. It has the proper black bar but when he shines it in the light he gets like a white copy of it just the right and left of it. Depending on the line he shines it. I think its just a shadow but he won't listen lol. Is there any way of completely proving its a real iPhone 4 white?

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Bring it to an apple store and have them check it out?

3. iFiend macrumors 65816

Well, there are two ways that I can think of.

Conversions, at least as of now (before OEM white parts start showing up), have a "grill" type proximity sensor and the real ones have a black "pill" shaped sensor.

You can plug the iPhone into iTUnes and see if the pic comes up black or white.

edit: I didn't read your post before I answered.

If he has the correct proximity sensor I am 99% certain it's a real white iPhone 4. Plugging into iTunes should remove all doubt.

I have no idea what it is you're trying to ask in you OP btw.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If it has the black bar sensor, it's most likely real. What you're describing is just the light being refracted in the glass. Sounds normal.

5. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Thats exactly what I thought

6. Ramsay2011 macrumors member

check the warranty on apples website if its a conversion it will have possibly been registered before the release of the white one
    also check the imei numbers on the phone and on the box it came with

7. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I think he was just being OCD lol. I can't find anything to suggest its fake. Its looks legit to me. Even me.com and itunes show it to be white.

8. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

9. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Haha he did but he did get it from ecell which had something like 5 million positive reviews. Anyway to put away all doubt he called Apple care and they confirmed it was real.

10. ann713, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

ann713 macrumors 6502a

The dead giveaway is the proximity sensor. It should be a solid black, not grill-liked.

11. jasvncnt, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

jasvncnt macrumors 6502

It's most likely real...but..now I have seen supposedly official OEM kits that are on the actual Apple white iphone out now. So I guess soon it wont be as easy to tell just by looking at the proximity sensorI

12. iFiend macrumors 65816

Where have you seen OEM conversion parts? I have looked everywhere...

13. Vizin, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  14. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

It's a different model number. You can't fake that. :confused:

15. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

The guy i got my previous white iphone kit from now has them. Contact him here.

drdanielpurcell@gmail.com
    Just tell him ya got the contact info from Jay

16. countzero2k10 macrumors member

countzero2k10

Awesome :) Thanks for the tip. I just emailed him. Hopefully I will get a response.

17. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

No problem.
    Not sure if this link will work. It should be a word doc with his kits, prices and info
    He is a member on Modmyi

Dr.miPhone Price Guide 2011:
    http://db.tt/wao6UZk

18. iFiend macrumors 65816

Thanks man. I'm in the US though :-/

19. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

No prob. I am also in the US. I ordered his first white iphone kit about a month ago i guess. Its was 170 with free shipping. If i remember correctly, all his prices include shipping

20. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

WOW! It seems like he gives you real apple parts. I might consider this. I noticed that he even has the proximity sensor right.

21. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

Yup. I didnt get the new OEM kit yet but i have the what is considered now the "Grade A" kit. And the quality is great. Can only imagine how the real deal is.

22. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Yah, my uncle ordered one of those cheap conversion kits from a repair place where he sent it in. He had some issues with the proximity sensor since it was the grill dot kind. I told him he should try to get a refund (by sending the white parts back). I will probably try this and if I like it I will recommend it to him. This is always easier than selling your black one and buying a white one. Not to mention you can change colors! One day black another White. LOL

23. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

Exactly! I was looking around forever for a good quality white kit. And i wasnt about to send my phone into someone to do. So luckily i found Dan and ordered his. Just installed it myself. And your right, can go back to black or another color very easily.

24. iFiend macrumors 65816

So my phone has the "new" type of screw. Does the kit include that kind of driver? And will the proximity sensor work? I felt like I read that they wouldn't if you had the new screws somehow?

Also, how hard was this? Not sure if I trust myself :eek:

25. jasvncnt, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

jasvncnt macrumors 6502

I also have the new screws (screw you Apple!) I did the sharpie trick and proximity sensor works. But mind you, i purchased the first kit which is not the OEM that is out now. He has both kits. And yes the kits come with all the tools. Any questions you have just email him. Might take a little to get back to you cause hes been busy, but he will. I have been dealing with him for a while now. I have a review and pics on here but its for the first white kit. I didnt pick up the new OEM one .......yet