How can you trust a retailer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acearchie, May 25, 2009.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

So I have found this website which says its a wholesaler now selling to consumers.

The company has a company number and has been going since 2001. A quick search on the internet confirms this. They also have a confirmed address in Manchester, uk. The website is also written in good english suggesting that there might actually be someone english running it!

Also searching the company number brings up the ability to purchase the annual reports etc. from websites such as www.ukdata.com

Do you think I should make a purchase?

Thanks

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Contact apple and see if they're an authorized reseller.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why don't you post the link to the actual retailer? Just reading your post, this sounds like BS and/or a poorly thought-out advertisement for ukdata.com .

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ok well the company is http://electrocomuk.co.uk

I just didn't want them to get a load of abuse from people who just assumed they were scammers.

There address checks out and they have plenty of links to annual reports (which you sadly have to pay for) online.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...pay the physical store a visit if its somewhat near you...and if its legit, then you can drive home with your purchase...

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Are you serious? This is such a scam unless companies generally sell items for below cost. :rolleyes:

8. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

This is why I wanted to check with others. Normally I leave these websites straight away but this website has some credibility so I thought I would do some research.

But I agree, looks far too good to be true.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How you can possibly think they have any credibility?

10. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well their company number checks out.

The address checks out and a google maps search verifies its a warehouse.

The company has been running since 2001 and apart from the prices there is nothing else to suggest a scam either from the company or searching the internet.

But Im not going to jump in and make a purchase. I have sent a few emails and I will see what the replies are.

Thanks

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Probably because they only registered this domain a little over a week ago.

whois electrocomuk.co.uk

Domain name:
    electrocomuk.co.uk

Registrant:
    Electrocom Admin

Registrant type:
    UK Individual

Registrant's address:
    22 rectory lane
    essex
    IG10 2QZ
    GB

Registrar:
    Melbourne IT t/a Internet Names Worldwide [Tag = MELBOURNE-IT]
    URL: http://www.melbourneit.com.au/contacts

Relevant dates:
    Registered on: 15-May-2009
    Renewal date: 15-May-2011

The fact that you are even emailing them is not too smart. Walk away.

12. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ok this is a good point. From my emails I simply want to understand the business and truly get down to whether it is a scam or not.

Don't worry I wont be letting go of my hard earned cash. Im saving my a nice second hand Mac Pro. It's just curiosity I suppose.

However if it is a scam how could they have faked this?

http://www.ukdata.com/numbers/04263375.html

That states that they registered as a business in 2001? Have they stolen another companies credentials?

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The fact that you continue to want to believe them is how people get scammed.

They could put up any company number they want and name their 'business' anything they want.

Here's another one for you. Why are there no details on any product?

14. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

And the small selection of details they have are incorrect. The Macbook states it has only a 160gb hard drive when by default it comes with a 250gb...

Also some of the feedback is dodgy as it talks all about ipod accessories and no actually expensive products.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Omg scam written all over it! "Running out of stock! Order now!"

Heres how these things work. I didn't realize computers had these types of scammers I only usually see it (and lots of it) when it comes to camera gear.

You call to order or order online, everything goes through, and you get no shipping notice. You call. They want to "confirm your purchase" then they get some hot shot sales guy on the phone who upsells you ******** for a lot more money. Or you will get lies like "Oh, we only have the international kit that has item X and item X and item X in it. Its $400 more" Or "Oh that model you see online is the macbook pro without the lightup apple and built in keyboard. The model with the lightup apple and built in keyboard is $xxx more"

Run away...far away...

16. Redline13 macrumors 6502

Completely accurate.

17. punjabimc macrumors newbie

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

A 15" MBP for 580 pounds? And everything has "Low stock - Purchase now to avoid disappointment" label under it. Seems pretty suspicious to me. Like others have said, I would avoid doing business with them.

19. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Ever heard of CostCo? Just because an item is cheap does not mean it's a scam. CostCo also encourages a "buy now" attitude because their business model means that they can't guarantee they'll have the same products in a month. :rolleyes:

That said, what does look like a scam is the lack of any online store. I can't figure out how to browse their full inventory, or how to place an order. If you live nearby, I would call them and see if you can arrange a local pickup from their warehouse. If they balk, then run. :)

20. DSG macrumors regular

Well it's probably not a good sign that the telephone number is a mobile...

Edit: ...and that that is the only way to make a payment. Pretty lazy scam - but it only takes a couple of greedy mugs to make it worthwhile.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What the hell does CostCo have to do with what we're discussing? CostCo does not sell items below cost, they sell at low prices due to huge buying power and a lower cost business model than other retailers. And other large retailers sell at similar prices. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

When you see prices online for items that are lower than every other seller, you can pretty much bet on it being a scam.

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    According to that link, they haven't filed an annual report since August 2007 (2008 is missing) and they were in the process of being struck off the register of companies (albeit that's obviously being challenged around the same time as the website was being set up).

They're either entirely inept as a company (lack of accounts etc) or someone is trying to take over a defunct company and 'trade' from its registration to give it credibility :rolleyes:

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Even if they had happened to have been in business selling on the internet since 2001.

You'd be able to find copies of their webpages on the archive.

http://www.archive.org/

But these sites tend to take real sounding names and use those to scam your credit card numbers and run by putting up a new website and snaring the gullible fools.

---

Are you a fool? or just gullible?

24. old-wiz macrumors G3

Obviously a scam of one kind or another - the wording on the 'about us' reeks of scammer English. I can read British English very well, and whoever wrote this is not thinking in English.