How Capable is the 13" Duo Core Processor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sully, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Sully macrumors regular

Sully

In my quest to maximize value for money spent I've started looking at the 13" models. I had thought I'd stick to the 15" as a way to future proof a computer I'm going to keep for years to come.

I see the tech world moving to intense graphics for almost everything. So, while I may not fully use the dGPU or quad core functionality today, I'm wondering if I should by it now for future proofing. Plus, for the money, it seems like the 15" provides more value if portability isn't a primary consideration.

I'm not doing video editing or 3D modeling. But, I do run a variety of graphically intense trading software and multiple monitors.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I'd stick with the 15" if budget allows. Not only do you have a dGPU but you have a considerably more powerful CPU. It's a much more capable machine overall when considering longevity and hardware performance.

3. Sully thread starter macrumors regular

Sully

Thanks. That's what I've been thinking. But, I keep trying to find a way to avoid biting the bullet and getting the more expensive one.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Define graphically intense software on trading... Most of those graphs can easily be handled by a Dual Core CPU.

5. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Graphically intense how? Just because there's a lot of "stuff" on the screen does not necessarily mean it's taxing (or even using) the dGPU. Simple pie charts/line graphs aren't going to tax the GPU in any significant way - they'll likely be all CPU-based most likely (as is Excel). And unless you've got a hundred graphs constantly changing on screen, I suspect additional processor cores won't help too much.

6. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

If you're running multiple monitors I would highly recommend getting the 15". I believe the 13" MBPs can only drive one external monitor using the integrated graphics.

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- It can drive two 4K displays at 60 Hz. And probably four 1080p displays if you want.

8. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Ah, my mistake. I was thinking of the 5120x2880@60Hz output.

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Hah. Yes, then it's indeed only one display.