Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I charge my 14 PM exclusively via MagSafe (via desk, battery pack, and car charger) and my battery health is at 100% since launch last year.

My 13 PM after a year, was also at 100%. The key I’ve found was only rarely charging it past 80%, or rarely letting it drop below 20%.

This is so funny. Long time ago we used to think full drain ‘reconditions’ batteries, and that we should do it once in a while.

Reactions: KO7

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Nothing to do with how you charge, some people use it more than others. I only use magsafe at home and in car with wireless CarPlay. battery 100%.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

GoofyCyborg

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Wales, UK
Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 22.50.55.png

Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 22.54.30.png

solardudesf

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2013
Fast charging is only one factor that might reduce battery health. Others causes that are just as detrimental are charging to 100% or close to, discharging to 0% or close to, low temperatures and high temperatures. Even going above 30/35˚C will shorten life.

I'm not sure just limiting the charging to 5w will have any noticeable benefit. The standard 'fast charging' on iPhones is not particularly fast in the first case.

Some info here https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries#:~:text=The lithium-ion battery works,decrease the performance over time.

compared to the cost of the phone a battery replacement from apple is not a big deal. You are overthinking this.

Reactions: GoofyCyborg

yustas

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
compared to the cost of the phone a battery replacement from apple is not a big deal. You are overthinking this.
For me, it isn't the cost of a battery replacement. It's when they crack open the phone to do it, it isn't the same anymore. If it had a removable battery, it wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Reactions: rocketbuc and KO7

solardudesf

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2013
For me, it isn't the cost of a battery replacement. It's when they crack open the phone to do it, it isn't the same anymore. If it had a removable battery, it wouldn't be a big deal at all.

I haven’t had any issues when I have gotten a battery replacement. Always has been fine for me. Also helps with the resale value when you say I replaced the battery last year.

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
Agree. I worked as a Genius for 6 years.

It was totally fine before waterproofing became a thing. Ever since it’s kind of… never factory-quality again once ripped open by hand, let’s say.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
You can use a USB-A male to USB-C male cable to do it, or a smaller USB-A male to USB-C female adapter.

I would personally go the adapter route, as you will already have the USB-C to USB-C cable with your new iPhone.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
If a 20W fast charger is known to degrade battery life, why does Apple sell one?

Bananasaurus

Suspended
Aug 16, 2023
Mine's still at 100% using a 30w charger. Got it on release date last year. (14 Pro Max), idk how people's batteries degrade so fast.
I don’t know either. I also fast charged it every day and used it constantly since launch day 1 and my iPhone 14 PM had 100% battery health when I sold it two weeks ago. Maybe we’re just lucky?

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
Don't charge past 85-90%, put it in a smart wall adapter and set "auto turn off" to 1.5-2 hours. I rarely charge my 13 Pro to 100%, yet still able to get all day battery life.

Sukach

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
With Standby mode, many of us that use to rely on standard cord charging or Qi charging (I currently have an basic Anker stand-up Qi charger that I used nightly) will be upgrading to a Magsafe charger that works in landscape mode. Many more people using this, it could become a problem for Apple.

Reactions: Wig321

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
With Standby mode, many of us that use to rely on standard cord charging or Qi charging (I currently have an basic Anker stand-up Qi charger that I used nightly) will be upgrading to a Magsafe charger that works in landscape mode. Many more people using this, it could become a problem for Apple.
Why would this become a problem? MagSafe hasn’t been shown to be a problem accept for some occasional user cases that has own theories about the root cause. There is loads of tests behind MagSafe and don’t think that’s in it self are going to be a problem imho.

Last edited:

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
I’m curious about all this.

My 12 Pro (pretty much release day purchase) is at 90% and I frequently charge it via a wireless stand at night. Plus used to have it on charge in the car daily, until I got Wireless carplay - although I still charge it in the car a lot. Actually carplay makes the phone heat up like crazy and in the summer it would stop charging it got so hot.

I’d be disappointed if my 15 Pro ends up at 90% after a year, time will tell!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
An  tech told me that a battery replacement isn’t risk free on the waterproof iPhones. He said it’s like open heart surgery — things can go wrong.

GoofyCyborg

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Wales, UK
You should never trust the waterproof rating of any phone! If water enters the device you're screwed either way. I treat my phone as if it has no waterproof rating but should I ever get it wet for whatever reason, the waterproof rating is a fingers crossed kinda fail safe.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My phones usually make it to a year still at 100% battery health. I use an Apple 16 watt adapter and charge the phone in its Apple leather case each evening to something short of 100% and never overnight. Maybe I've just been lucky and also I'm not a heavy user.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
I use a shortcut to turn off my smart plug when the phone reaches 80% charge, and turn back on when it drops below 80% so I can plug it in overnight and not have to worry... plus using my 5w charger to charge it slowly

kowalsky

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
This year I'm upgrading from my iPhone 11 to a new iPhone 15 Pro.
I am also one of those who wants to continue charging my new iPhone with USB-C with the 5W chargers that I have. I have several of them distributed in my usual places (home, parents' house, work,...) and I do not need to buy new faster chargers since charging speed is not important to me.

I think I will buy several USB-A to USB-C cables on Amazon to continue using the chargers I already have, this way I save money and avoid throwing more electronic waste onto the planet. Do you have a trusted brand to buy quality USB-A to USB-C cables?

What worries me is whether it is better to leave the iPhone charging overnight with optimized charging activated, or it is better to disable optimized charging and recharge the battery during the day at the office until it reaches 100% and disconnect at that precise moment. Right now my iPhone 11 has a battery health of 77%, it degraded quite quickly, but the moment I stopped charging it at night the % stopped dropping.

Cheers!

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I have always used 5 watt chargers to charge my ProMax and they always are still at 100% after a year. I do look forward to the optimized charging system as I do not need my battery charged to 100% every night!

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I have always used 5 watt chargers to charge my ProMax and they always are still at 100% after a year. I do look forward to the optimized charging system as I do not need my battery charged to 100% every night!
Agreed, my four-year-old iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 is at 93%, but most importantly, it gets 16 hours of screen-on time with light use. I have three recommendations that I stand by without a doubt:

-never update iOS (my iPhone Xʀ runs iOS 12).

-Charge slowly (it has always charged with the 5w original cable and wall adapter)

-Avoid heat.

Do those three things, and battery life will be fine forever.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Agreed, my four-year-old iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 is at 93%, but most importantly, it gets 16 hours of screen-on time with light use. I have three recommendations that I stand by without a doubt:

-never update iOS (my iPhone Xʀ runs iOS 12).

-Charge slowly (it has always charged with the 5w original cable and wall adapter)

-Avoid heat.

Do those three things, and battery life will be fine forever.

I've charged my 13 Pro with the little 5w brick, not because I was trying to save battery, but because it was handy. My battery is at 86%.

My best advice is to use your phone however you want, and charge with whatever you want. Replace the battery when it gets to be a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.