How close do you live to the nearest train track(s)?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by moonman239, May 31, 2015.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I lthink I live close enough to hear them at around midnight during normal weather.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Same here (or hear?), probably about a mile. Why do you ask such a question on an internet forum?

3. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Yeah, it's a little random :)

We're about 2-2.5 miles away, the track is across the intracoastal so the sound carries across the water, though we're just a couple of blocks from the ocean, so we mostly get this nice, constant rumbling of waves sound.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I live about 150-200 yards away from Boston's Green Line. I can see and hear it. My apartment is a commuter's dream, yet here we have garaged parking :rolleyes: . The trains are more like trollies so they're very quiet and not really bothersome. Honestly the car traffic is worse... or the couple drunk college kids yelling in the streets at 3 AM.

Most days the last train runs by shortly after midnight. The first train isn't until 5AM or so. For people who sleep normal hours, this isn't too bad. I usually do hear that first train in the morning, but I black it out.

I used to take the train 5 days a week. Then my employment changed. Now I usually take the train 2x a week to one location and drive 3x a week to a different location (not easily accessible through public transit). I wish I was better at taking the train to do other things, but sometimes I just don't want to deal with the time waiting and ride stuffed-in with 1000 other people. Driving seems easier.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

Less than a mile away right now. Pretty soon will be within walking distance as they're currently building a light rail extension into this area.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm not sure of the actual distance, but on quiet nights we can barely hear them.

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Behind my house, literally. Walk to the very end of the street and there's a huge opening that is this...

IMG_0908.jpeg

8. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Here in Rochester, Trains are not used for commuting, We don't have subways, Our only mode of public transit are City Buses or Taxi's. I live less than 1/4 mile from the nearest set of tracks. The only thin Trains are used for here is to transfer scrap the local junkyard loads on a train. Inside of my house I don't hear a thing, outside my house I can hear the train every time.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

4 miles. Train frequently comes through close to rush hour. :mad:

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They're oddly close to me. Not really sure where, but I hear them often.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have no idea where the nearest train tracks are! There are some about 20 km away but I don't know whether they're the closest.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Umm, about three blocks. I can hear the horns but not the rumbling. The horns are relatively quite and aren't disturbing at all.

13. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

There's one across the street from my house. Very loud and annoying. It shakes the entire house.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have a Long Island Railroad station 5 blocks from my house but I rarely ever hear it.

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

About 2 miles. Close enough that I can often hear the horn at night or early in the morning, and sometimes have to stop and wait for a train to pass on the way to work. Not passenger/commuter trains though.

16. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Used to live right next to them. A 5 year old's stones throw away.

The first night I lived there, I nearly had cause to change the sheets. Freight trains in the early hours sounded and felt like a jumbo jet flying just a few feet overhead.

Amazing how you adjust, though. Ended up sleeping through it like a (continent) baby.

17. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

dropped off the wifey at the amtrak/metrolink station this morning. 9.2 miles.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nearest station is a 2 mile walk/drive away but I think the closest it gets is a mile away. Used to be real spooky actually, it's in a valley so the acoustics go nuts. If you go near the top of the valley you don't hear it moving but you do hear it's horn and it echoes all over the place.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Way out in the country and a distant train blows it's whistle, damn that's lonely.

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I read your post and then this song played in my head:

21. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

22. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I've got my transport options pretty sorted.

3 minutes walk to a West Coast Mainline station, another 3 minutes walk (or drive) to a Motorway. The trains are going so slowly you can hardly hear them.

Also living under the airport landing flightpath I hear the planes more often, but after 30+ years here you get used to it. ;) Nothing like as noisy as they were in the 80s though.

23. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

24. edvj macrumors member

I live about 1 km away from Lille Nord a local railway line and Fredensborg Station.